The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-13-2021, 05:04 AM

Default Wee Lowden drop tunings

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Good to be here!

I have recently bought a used Lowden WL25 which I am loving btw

I'm experimenting with lower tunings like CGCGCC, DADGAD and I've just discovered tuning a whole step down to help my vocal range with certain songs.

I have also previously been tuning a half step down. I think my guitar is setup for standard tuning. It copes with a half step down, but I have way more out of tune notes a whole step down. I am wondering if its possible to have my guitar setup to be able to cope with all of these different tunings for live performance?!

Or might I need a second instrument to bring along to shows?

Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you
Old 10-13-2021, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Are you playing medium strings? I had a WL 23 for a while and it handled DADGAD and open D and G just fine with medium strings. I did find that it didn't capo well, to my ear.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:24 AM

One thing that I found when experimenting with drop tunings for the first time was it really showed up how hard I press as I was definitely pulling the strings out of tune. It took a lot of practice to start developing a lighter touch (which drops by the wayside when things get hard).

To confirm if it is intonation, or technique (assuming you haven't done this) check the tuning while making sure to put the minimum pressure on the fretting finger to get a clean note.

If it is intonation, I've heard that intonating for DADGAD makes for a good compromise if using a number of dropped tunings, but I don't have experience to say for sure.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Are you playing medium strings? I had a WL 23 for a while and it handled DADGAD and open D and G just fine with medium strings. I did find that it didn't capo well, to my ear.
Hi, I'm using 12s, I could try 13s possibly... Thank you
Old 10-13-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
One thing that I found when experimenting with drop tunings for the first time was it really showed up how hard I press as I was definitely pulling the strings out of tune. It took a lot of practice to start developing a lighter touch (which drops by the wayside when things get hard).

To confirm if it is intonation, or technique (assuming you haven't done this) check the tuning while making sure to put the minimum pressure on the fretting finger to get a clean note.

If it is intonation, I've heard that intonating for DADGAD makes for a good compromise if using a number of dropped tunings, but I don't have experience to say for sure.
Hi, Thanks for the info. It's just the low string when dropping tuning TO DADGAD and CGCGGC. I put the capo on, then retune and its ok
I'm pretty sure it's not my technique with fretted notes. My main job is a guitar teacher!

The main thing I need to find out is if dropping a whole step DGCFBD and the other drop tunings mentioned requires setting the guitar up to take these tunings? Or using two guitars live. One for DADGAD and CGCGGC and one for DGCFBD...
Old 10-13-2021, 02:06 PM

Glad it's not technique - that's the hardest to fix! I hope no offence was taken - it's hard to judge experience from the little bits we get to know.

When you say that putting the capo on, then retuning and everything being OK, I'm interested to know a bit more about when you're experiencing the issues. Common advice here is that notes being out of the without a capo, but not with indicates nut slots that are too high.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
drop tuning, lowden