The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-11-2021, 10:22 PM

Default New Mando Day (and Microphone too)

I've been hunting for two items specifically and one is an A style mandolin, and the other, a CAD E350 mic. The A style mando is because I wanted a certain tone to record with because years ago I had a Fender electric mandolin (FM62E), that had an acoustic sound like a little music box, and I loved it for many of the songs I wrote. Well some dirt-bag thief robbed my studio years back, and my Fender mando was one of the things he stole (of many things). I thought a smaller A style mandolin would get me close to that sound, and surprisingly this new one does! It's a Breedlove, American made in Oregon, Quartz OF Model. I already had a Breedlove FF model (F style), and since I am very familiar with their neck carve, I wanted to stay with the brand. On these, the fingerboards are a little wider than most mandolins, making them a great crossover model for guitarists!

The CAD E-350 microphone is a relatively unknown American microphone. When I say these are some of the best condensor microphones made. I am not kidding. They were a total sleeper, but unfortunately the sales were low so the company discontinued them. Fortunately for me I found one in really good shape for reasonable money!

So today I wrote a little song, worked out the parts, and recorded a mandolin duet with both of my Breedlove mandolins using the CAD E350 microphone!

Last edited by rockabilly69; 11-11-2021 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:06 PM

It sounds great! Nice composition too. Congratulations on both the mandolin and the mic.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
It sounds great! Nice composition too. Congratulations on both the mandolin and the mic.
Thank you. It was pretty cool that I got to use the microphone the first day that I got it for the mando
Old 11-14-2021, 11:32 AM

Nice looking mandolin and great picking too.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbia View Post
Thank You!!!
Old 11-15-2021, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

I like your composition and excellent playing, as well. Is that the Breedlove mandolin recently listed on mandolincafe?
Old 11-15-2021, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the kind words!

No. I didn't get it from mandocafe, I bought this one here at the AGF, from forum member Mkel12, and it was an great experience! He shipped it to me lightning fast, and it was immaculate, like brand new clean!

Last edited by rockabilly69; 11-16-2021 at 02:05 AM.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by K20C View Post
I like your composition and excellent playing, as well. Is that the Breedlove mandolin recently listed on mandolincafe?

If you guys are players, I just did a little video that you can play along with. The rhythm is first, and the fills are the second time around. The sound is just from my phone so not so great but you'll get the idea...

Old 11-16-2021, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

US built Breedloves are nice mandolins, far superior to most imports. I've played a few. It's the G string that makes the difference. Enjoy.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 11-16-2021, 04:43 PM

Very nice, thanks for sharing!
Old 11-16-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
US built Breedloves are nice mandolins, far superior to most imports. I've played a few. It's the G string that makes the difference. Enjoy.
I've only had one import mandolin, and that was a Fender FM62E which I got as a gift. Surprisingly it was decent sounding. Then somebody stole it! I bought three more of them and none of them sounded like my original one...

Here is that first Fender mando, in one of my original songs...

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6605960

The whole reason I bought the A model Breedlove is because it reminded me of the tone I was getting with the Fender...
Old 11-17-2021, 06:52 PM

Very nice. I love the slight hesitations.
Old 11-17-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roksbug View Post
Very nice. I love the slight hesitations.
The spaces make it more fun
Old 11-24-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
This is the second time I've seen the quote of the G string that makes a difference, and I totally agree with this. It's either there in the mix of strings, or it's lost, or a bit subdued. When it's there, and all the strings are in balance, I think it gets the top moving, and then that's when the rock and roll starts happening

When my cheap little Fender mandolin that had a killer tone got stolen, I bought three more of them trying to find one that got the sound of the first, and all of the ones I bought came up short, and they were all wimpy in the G string volume.

I wonder if that's one of those things that the builders who are carving the tops actually listen for.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

The G is the first thing I listen for. Cheaper mandolins are just thin sounding. Even Eastmans have this. Maybe they mellow out with time. I've only ever played new ones, but every new Northfield, Collings, Webber, or Gibson, and I'm including my Silverangel here, has a rich G string along with richer everything else. Kentucky 900 and above master series get an honorable mention.

There is no substitution once you hear the difference. If you don't, play on and be happy.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments