The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-30-2018, 08:04 AM

Default Dion No.4 Engelmann/Cocobolo for The Golden Era Guitar

Hey guys, we've recently taken in a guitar built by Dion Bews in Engelmann and Cocobolo which is available for sale. Here is a video review on the guitar and you may skip forward to the 2:13 mark to hear a short demo of "Catching the Light" by Antoine Dufour played on the guitar. A written review along with photos will be coming your way shortly. Enjoy!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-30-2018, 06:42 PM

Sorry Marcus & Dion, this is not aimed at either of your talents in playing and building, the guitar sounds great at the start of the song, but I'm not a fan of the hammer on style of playing. In my opinion, it's not a good style to show off the sound of a guitar. Do all the harmonics you want, strumming, finger picking etc, but that specific hammer on technique sounds too tinny, and harsh for such a beautiful guitar.
I wonder if a guitar can be built to deal with this specific style of playing?
Guitar design has changed over the years to target specific styles of playing, so I guess it would be doable.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 07-01-2018, 05:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

That is a really nicely proportioned guitar. I like the lines of the body.
Beautiful!

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 07-01-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Beautiful!

Well thanks Mark! That means a lot coming from a builder with your eye.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Sorry Marcus & Dion, this is not aimed at either of your talents in playing and building, the guitar sounds great at the start of the song, but I'm not a fan of the hammer on style of playing. In my opinion, it's not a good style to show off the sound of a guitar. Do all the harmonics you want, strumming, finger picking etc, but that specific hammer on technique sounds too tinny, and harsh for such a beautiful guitar.
I wonder if a guitar can be built to deal with this specific style of playing?
Guitar design has changed over the years to target specific styles of playing, so I guess it would be doable.
I personally feel that it sounds fine to me. Maybe what you are after is something warmer like Cedar or possibly a Lowden like tone. The Dion is bright and punchy, and that could be the harshness you hear. I personally like this guitar for powerful strumming in a band setting or even a fingerstyle player who has a light touch and does not have any nails.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 07-02-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Beautiful!
I know what that is code for - pictures. And I aim to please

Here are some full bodied shots to start off with before I zoom in to the details. I think you pretty much nailed it with your description Mark!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 07-02-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
I personally feel that it sounds fine to me. Maybe what you are after is something warmer like Cedar or possibly a Lowden like tone. The Dion is bright and punchy, and that could be the harshness you hear. I personally like this guitar for powerful strumming in a band setting or even a fingerstyle player who has a light touch and does not have any nails.

Agreed Marcus. I’d add that a dense wood like Cocobolo tends to create that big bell like tone. Even with the hollow core back design, the species of wood very much informs the tone. For a less bright tone I tend to lean toward my stash of mahogany.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:31 PM

Love the shape, especially how it slopes up to the neck. Also really like the simplicity of the whole approach, letting the wood and design speak volumes. I love the exotic accents of very talented builders too, but sometimes less is more. Russ Parker
Old 07-02-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Bews View Post
Agreed Marcus. I’d add that a dense wood like Cocobolo tends to create that big bell like tone. Even with the hollow core back design, the species of wood very much informs the tone. For a less bright tone I tend to lean toward my stash of mahogany.
I'm thinking perhaps I haven't explained myself correctly. I have nothing against the overall sound of the guitar, the song Marcus played sounded so beautiful at the start, but when he started using his right hand for hammer on style playing up the neck, I find this to be a harsh and tinny sound. Not just on this guitar either, it's a style that while impressive to watch, I don't like the sound of what is produced.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 07-02-2018, 08:35 PM

Thanks Marcus for the review, beautiful playing!

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 07-03-2018, 02:22 PM

Great sounding guitar, thanks for posting.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation1 View Post

Thanks for taking a listen!
Old 07-04-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGPGuitars View Post
Love the shape, especially how it slopes up to the neck. Also really like the simplicity of the whole approach, letting the wood and design speak volumes. I love the exotic accents of very talented builders too, but sometimes less is more. Russ Parker

Thanks for the kind words!
Old 07-09-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftz07 View Post
Thanks Marcus for the review, beautiful playing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation1 View Post
Thanks guys for checking out the video!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 07-09-2018, 08:29 PM

Here are more shots to show off some close ups of the details:

My favourite shot of every guitar:

Love the black satin neck on every Dion. It provides a cool look, as well as a great feel in the hand:

The sound port is present on every Dion. I personally feel that it's not necessary as his guitars are already so loud and enveloping, if there was any difference with the sound hole covered and exposed, I could not hear it. But it is still a nice feature to have:

A couple shots of his signature headstock - very simple and elegant:

Check out the simplicity of his rosette. I also really love how the end of the fretboard terminates in a smooth curve:

The bridge:

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
antoine dufour, cocobolo, dion bews, marcus wong, the golden era guitar