The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2021, 06:47 AM

I began this part of my guitar journey in March 2020- 15 guitars later (12 on hand when the new one gets here Saturday) is mainly because I had no idea so many different styles, wood, etc., even existed- my first guitar, at age 13, was a Sears whatever they had in 1960- I had 2 dreadnaughts on my own after that until last March- now- wow! I have so many, with a couple more in the que....maybe.

It is a journey, not a destination. My journey. Your destination may vary.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:55 AM

a thought

I know it's not easy these covid days, but the ounce of prevention gained when trying out guitars can be worth a lot of 'pounds' in the long run, both financially and for peace of mind.

How many 'good' guitars have you not bought? I have passed on quite a few over the years. Some regrets, but overall pleased.

My shopping kit includes tuner, capo, carpenters' retractable ruler, calipers (for string gauge check), dentist style mirror, and a vow never to shop on Saturday unless I can arrive at opening. Plus any possibles have to pass an eye, ear, and feel test. Knowledge is power.

Most important of all are the sound and feel tests. When in doubt walk away for a while, or even a day.

Good luck and good hunting,
Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 10-22-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
There's folks who keep changing guitars. I think many of them have missed a point, they seem to hope that that new guitar will make them sound good. I suggest the goal is for the player to make the guitar sound good. Can't buy improved playing no matter how much is spent.
True story: I once had a student sign up for 4 lesson series who never practiced but arrived with a new guitar each session. He admitted that he thought that would make all the difference in his progress.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

I agree most of us don't really need that many, but it's fun. Great thing is you can always sell them and get most of of your investment back. I started with a Recording King, made my way to Martins and Taylors, now I'm getting a hankering for a boutique maker, just one really nice guitar.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:16 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
There's folks who keep changing guitars. I think many of them have missed a point, they seem to hope that that new guitar will make them sound good. I suggest the goal is for the player to make the guitar sound good. Can't buy improved playing no matter how much is spent.
I've never met anyone who changes guitars to make them better guitarists. Of course, I've played for only 50 years so I'm kinda new at this. -- I have heard of (and know) people that upgrade because they already have improved and need a better instrument, however.

I actually even changed brands - from Gibson to Taylor (both outstanding manufacturers) - because the Taylor GA balance and clarity fits my fingerpicking style better than the darker Gibson sound. The Taylor gave me a more appropriate sound for my style, so I sound better on it - but it didn't make me a better player.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 10-22-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
I've never met anyone who changes guitars to make them better guitarists.
Let me introduce myself...

I can't wrap my head around the idea of buying a new guitar for any other reason than to be a better player!

Last edited by russchapman; 10-22-2021 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think you've not taken inspiration into account. If a guitar does not inspire a person to play, that person isn't going to get any better. What make a guitar inspirational in that way to anyone is going to vary from person to person, but it's an important consideration and your "thought" completely disregards it.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-22-2021, 09:27 AM

Copping to what the OP said...No problem admitting that over the last, let's say 10, years I have definitely bought guitars thinking that - whether it was because of their neck carve or string spacing or scale length - they'd do a lot of the heavy lifting in making me a better player. Not saying it would make that big a difference to the final result if I spent as much time playing/practicing as I did looking for a the next guitar, but you can draw your own conclusions.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Respectfully disagree on multiple levels.

Firstly I don't collect guitars, it's just that I have a collection!

When I first started playing guitar sometime after the war (not saying which), I was a serial monogamist - one n, one out. from a nameless "jumbo" (£16 new) to;
an "Eagle" (£32) bit better, to:
A Harmony (64) much nicer, to
A Gibson (100ish) not much better to
An Epiphone (??) appalling, to
A Guild (far better, but had issues)
etc., and ultimately to a Martin,
I went though a number of Martins as I was buying the ones that others wanted to "sell on" (no neck resets available back then).
Then - gradually, I added a 12 string, or a mandolin, or a resonator etc.

Then you get to buy different sizes, shapes for different purposes.

The other important factor is to find an instrument that suits :

1. Your hands
2. your body size
3. Your playing style
4. Your genre

n.b as your style develops you zone into what fretboard size and what tone woods you prefer.
lastly -
You most definitely can "buy" improved playing ...if you find the right teacher/mentor!
Old 10-22-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
a thought

I know it's not easy these covid days, but the ounce of prevention gained when trying out guitars can be worth a lot of 'pounds' in the long run, both financially and for peace of mind.

How many 'good' guitars have you not bought? I have passed on quite a few over the years. Some regrets, but overall pleased.

My shopping kit includes tuner, capo, carpenters' retractable ruler, calipers (for string gauge check), dentist style mirror, and a vow never to shop on Saturday unless I can arrive at opening. Plus any possibles have to pass an eye, ear, and feel test. Knowledge is power.

Most important of all are the sound and feel tests. When in doubt walk away for a while, or even a day.

Good luck and good hunting,
Don
I too have a "methodology" to auditioning new guitars. If practical, I bring at least one or two of my guitars that are the same body size. Every room reflects sound differently, and some shops have fantastic acoustics in their showrooms which make the guitar sound great there, but when you get home...not as great due to your carpeting, soft furniture, etc. So if I bring my guitars with me, I intimately know what they sound like, so if they're in the same room as the potential new purchase, I'm comparing them on equal footing. Ideally I restring mine a few days before the visit to let the new strings settle down.

And I take it slow. I've become friendly with many dealers within a couple hours drive from me. They know me to be a serious buyer, I'm not trying to waste their time or mine. So I make appointments, I sit with my guitars and any I'm auditioning, and I'll go back and forth for maybe a couple of hours. Sometimes I'll break the audition up over a couple of days to "sleep on what I thought I heard". Even the 1934D wasn't purchased on the first day even though I knew deep down it was the best guitar (for me) I've been lucky enough to put my hands on.

Obviously for my Chicago trip I couldn't bring my guitars, but luckily Down Home had no shortage of awesome guitars that I tried out. When the 1934D was more pleasing to me than every other guitar in that room, I knew I couldn't go wrong taking it home. But that's the exception not the rule in terms of my auditioning process.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 10-22-2021, 10:19 AM

Not a huge amount of skill is necessary for a great guitar to sound good though. I think this forum opens up a whole world of guitars most had no idea existed and it seems many enjoy the process of trying out new things whether it be adding or trading up or commissioning a build that suits their ergonomic needs and playing style.

Old 10-22-2021, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Dear phavriluk,
I have heard such debates when it comes to all maters that involves skills. I have heard this debate with Rifles( "oh he could shoot a bullseye with any rifle")Tennis, Archery, and on and on. I can tell you this much, I have been fortunate enough to know many champions throughout my long lifetime, and every single one of them is an equipment fanatic. Champions typically use great equipment. You can not hit a bullseye if you rifle does not contain the accuracy in which to do so.
A great guitar will allow you to hit nuances and dynamics that are not achievable on some guitars. You can not become a better guitar player if your instrument will not allow you to hit those nuances. If your guitar is not set up correctly it may be difficult to move on the fingerboard with greater precision. Respectively, I will have to greatly disagree.
You can not learn & improve, on a guitar that will not give you that higher level of nuances, dynamics and ease of playing.
Old 10-22-2021, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's the player and the guitar.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-22-2021, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
Copping to what the OP said...No problem admitting that over the last, let's say 10, years I have definitely bought guitars thinking that - whether it was because of their neck carve or string spacing or scale length - they'd do a lot of the heavy lifting in making me a better player. Not saying it would make that big a difference to the final result if I spent as much time playing/practicing as I did looking for a the next guitar, but you can draw your own conclusions.
My situation...exactly.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

…I’m a guitar addict….plain and simple…..I just gotta have another one….but it has nothing to do with my desire to become a better player…after a half century of playing I know where I’m at as a player and have long known the key to getting better is practice….not another guitar….

….I’m pretty sure there are lots of folks like me here on the AGF….you know….guitar addicts….

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion