The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2021, 07:02 AM

I have been running an every-other-week Wednesday night open mic at a local pub/restaurant since 2018, with some months off last year and early this year.
It's not a 'club' - its open to anyone at any talent level, but is not a jam, no drums, or amps other than the PA (plug-in and play).

No cover charge - people are encouraged to buy drinks/food. I get paid to host the open mic - I bring the gear, advertise, etc.

Participation varies - pre-pandemic it was 9-12 'sign-ups' each time (sometimes less, often times more). Last summer (2020), having it outside (no inside music was allowed inside in Massachusetts at the time without severe restrictions), I had people 'pre-sign-up' online to keep things orderly and also allow people to only stay as long as they wanted. This past summer, when it started up again (still outside) I had as many as 26 sign-ups one time, had to cut songs to 2 each and still a few people left before they got to play.
It's back inside now due to the weather, and the usual format is 3 songs each, and if there is time, we do a 2nd round of 1-3 songs, depending on how many people are playing.

Most open mics in this area are similar, although there are a few places where the host does not get paid, they are doing it for the 'love of music'.

I also co-host a (free) monthly songwriter meeting (this is not open to the public, and is held in a free room at a local library) where songwriters bring in a song they are working on for comments and suggestions from the others.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-20-2021, 07:07 AM

I enjoy going to "Bluegrass" jams. Where I live there is a group that gathered twice a month at the local Art Federation. That came to a halt with Covid. Use of the building will not resume until the state has 75% vaccination rate. Or if everyone wears mask and complete disinfecting of the building is done at the end of a session.

I do attempt to attend 2 others that are 30 minutes away that run once a month.

Last year I did travel 2 hours from home a couple of times just to get with some other folks to play.

All of these are open to the public. You either sit or stand in a circle and each takes turn at picking a song to play and sing. Some are more receptive to new comers than others.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 10-20-2021, 07:55 PM

This is mostly all pre-2020.

When I first got back into public performance in 2008 it was to accompany a friend at an open mic at a bar. At the height of that time, there were probably 5 - 8 open mics at bars, restaurants, brewpubs etc. per week here in my area. There were an additional 10 song circles/jams being hosted by the old time Fiddler's Association, a traditional arts and music association, a folklife society, a music store and random private picking parties per month.

This was the scene I stepped into as a budding mandolin player, rusty fiddler and intermediocre guitarist. Since mandolin is relatively rare in my region I saw a lot of action sitting in with established bands, open mic players, and solo artists looking for something a little different than another guitar.

The open mics were mostly the same formula - a paid host who also ran sound, (sometimes competently), a handful of regulars who played the same songs every time they got on stage, young aspiring kids who got to play early (and then left with their friends and family as soon as they were done), drunks who were sure they sounded great, other tortured artists, people who always came with their guitar but didn't ever play....Never a charge to attend. It was considered rude to show up and just drink water and not support the venue, but it happened.

The jams/song circles were usually held at churches or halls. Just like it sounds - you sit in a circle. One person calls a tune by title and key. Everyone plays, taking turns on leads/verses if they choose when the song leader gives them the nod. Really only works with 10 - 15 people or less. No PA, mics or amps. No charge, but donation jar prominently displayed as someone usually brought refreshments.

It was fun. Made me wish I didn't work rotating shifts, as I was only able to attend a quarter of the musical offerings any given month. I met a lot of musos, played a lot of songs, learned a lot of songs, joined a few bands, landed some gigs, contributed on a few albums....

It started to die out even before 2020. Many venues shut down for a variety of reasons. It became kind of clique-ish where those weren't "in" with the host didn't get to play. The remaining venues weren't making money on the open mic/jam nights and went with karaoke instead. People did get tired of always hearing the same songs. I pretty much lost interest myself - not in music, just the open mics. I quit hosting one at our folk festival when a better bluegrass festival started on the same weekend.

The song circles kept going and even grew. Really more my style than the booze, egos, and drama of the amplified open mics. But these and the festivals stopped in the spring of 2020, and came back maybe halfway last summer. Our traditional music association holds business meetings by zoom monthly per our bylaws, but we've only had a few circles all year.

I know things will pick back up. It could take a while. I keep playing, learning songs, being grateful that through everything I still have my family, my health, my home, my job and my love of music.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:06 AM

re: "pay to play"...

Never again. Did that all through my 20's. I'll play for FREE, but I will not PAY to play.

I am active on the Gretsch forums, and we have annual "roundups", either at a VFW, someone's house/backyard, or more recently, at someone's barn (this is a reclaimed barn, fixed up to do weddings and such.) It's fully electric- drums and everything. But WE bring everything. Some of us bring gear, some bring food, some bring "refreshments". There is a "tip jar" that goes to pay for the venue. It's quite a casual "club" or "get together". But no way would I PAY to attend. Because we simply take care of that ourselves, in one way or another.

Just my $0.02
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 10-21-2021, 06:21 AM

I started a monthly Hootenanny back in August of 2019. I posted a thread and received some great advise from others here on the forum. It was starting to go pretty good by the beginning of 2020. We would have anywhere from 3-8 people there and a couple of guys that were better than me and helped guide the songs and keep things going. Then you know what shut it down.

I'm just now starting to find some other gatherings starting back up locally and it's so nice to gather and play music with other people. That's the one thing that has really been missing from my guitar journey. Playing with others and having to have some repertoire has been so helpful in making me a better player. One of these days I'll get up the courage to do an open mic.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:25 AM

The only open mic I’ve been to lately gives you a free drink for performing. Makes for a cheaper night out and I get to sing on stage.

Old 10-21-2021, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
The only open mic I’ve been to lately gives you a free drink for performing. Makes for a cheaper night out and I get to sing on stage.
That's pretty cool! Least they could do, since they aren't paying for the night's music (altho I realize they are likely paying a pittance to whoever runs it)

I've always said with my band, I'd play for free dinner and a couple drinks. Certainly cheaper than the $600 they paid us (but I'll take the $600, no problem! LOL). We just do it for the love of it anyway, none of us are trying to pay our bills with music.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 10-22-2021, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

We have two that I am aware of in my city of a hundred thousand people.

One is a stage setting with people lined up in chairs and one mic. They take turns at the mic and call the song. They can request for others not to play. Often most everyone plays at once. I can't bring myself to attend it.

The one I attend is an open mic in a non-profit arts store front that runs a full stage, sound and lights. So there can be anything that takes the stage. It's free and there is a bar there. They do supply some amps and a drum set. You don't have to plug in they will mic you. I usually do five different songs a week there. Now the guy that runs it is playing bass for me at times plus a great mandalin player and harp player gets up with me. Last night I played lead guitar for the guy that leads it. Depending on how busy the night is depends on if us regulars just do our thing, sit out or do some jamming. I have seen everything from embarrasing to awesome shows at it.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-22-2021, 09:49 AM

Brick (see his post above) and I both love the weekly O/M's at Cameron's Pub & Inn, located on the Pacific Ocean in Half Moon Bay, CA.

The stage is dedicated to Auri Naggar (RIP) who kicked off the Open Mic here back in 1995. Unfortunately, Auri succumbed to cancer in 2011 and it was a big loss for the musicians who performed here.

Auri had a PhD in Molecular Biology, but gave up that lucrative profession to dedicate himself to helping young musicians and actors develop their craft.

He was an institution in these parts and also donated his time to working ballgames for the San Francisco Giants. When they won their first World Series, they invited him to have his picture taken with them and the trophy. He passed away several days later.

SO... Auri sowed the seeds for what is an ongoing Open/Mic of perfection. The owner of the pub, Cameron Palmer, is affectionately known as "Mr Half Moon Bay" and is as good as they come.

Like Brick said, we support the place by dining there and everyone leaves smiling. Now if we can just get past this pandemic...

Old 10-22-2021, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Duplicate post
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-22-2021, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Hey Bill (6L6) we are good to go again when San Mateo County lifts indoor mask regulations, this per a conversation with Cameron. Should be a matter of weeks. I'll wait to get my booster, but that should not be long either, so hang in there, and don't forget to tip your bartender. Look forward to seeing you soon.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 10-23-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
I have always been uncomfortable with bunches of people singing (and spitting) all over the same mic.

I know I spit when I sing. I'm sure others do too. No offence, but even before Covid, this was an unsanitary practice.

Good sound companies have always disinfected mic capsules. But I bet open mic host's never even considered it.
I always stay at least 1 foot away from the mike. Not so much for the spit and slobber but that is a factor.

I believe the sound/tone/quality whatever you want to call it develops some distance from the mike and sounds more natural. Those that swallow the mike to me, Sound harsh and not natural. If that is what your going for than that is another story.

I prefer a large condenser mike over head about 2 feet away.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 10-23-2021, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
I have always been uncomfortable with bunches of people singing (and spitting) all over the same mic.

I know I spit when I sing. I'm sure others do too. No offence, but even before Covid, this was an unsanitary practice.

Good sound companies have always disinfected mic capsules. But I bet open mic host's never even considered it.
Au contraire, we are not only aware, the venue owner bought a disinfecting devise, and we alternate mics, so the newly disinfected mic is always being used. We also encourage folks bring and use their own. We get a lot of positive comments on many aspects of our open mic. Many newcomers have never played with monitors before. Certainly never with a primo pair of QSC mains. 6L6 has very well documented the quality guy Cameron is. It is a symbiotic relationship. We bought him the QSCs to replace a very tired set of old Peaveys. We bought 15 inch speakers because we thought they would sound better for Karaoke nights. We run three mics and have used them.

So all open mics are not equal. And if you come, you get to play. Period. And you'll be as safe as can be in one of the best areas to live in right now. Getting my booster Monday, then it's just an all clear from the county. If you are a Bay area resident, check the Auri's open mic Facebook page for when we'll resume.First come first served for signups, unless you have to go to school in the morning, then you go first.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 10-23-2021, 08:15 PM

I just did FIVE days of open mics / etc in a row . . and I'm beat!

Sunday: This is billed as a "picking circle" . . no amplification . . typically a dozen or more of us. It's every other Sunday. We typically only get two songs each unless the group is really small that day. Most play covers and others play along. I only play originals . . . well, I made an except this Sunday and also played a cover.

Monday: This is called Songwriters Anonymous. It went on for 10 years, then disbanded earlier this year (the person who started it got fed up with how it was changing). Now it's back to no amplification and no covers. It's supposed to be more about sharing current songs we've finished or are working on and getting ideas about lyric chances and/or other ways to perform the song.

Tuesday: A regular open mic . . . the guy who runs it starts off with a song or two, then each participant (there's a sign-up list) typically gets three songs. This is with a PA.

Wednesday: A regular open mic . . same venue in a different town, with a different host. The same format. This time we all got asked to stay and play another round of three due to lower turnout.

Thursday: This one only happens twice a month. The format is two "featured artists" who play a song swap for about 45 minutes. Then there's about 90 minutes of open mic . . typically get 2-4 songs each . . then the featured artists close it out for another 30-45 minutes.

On some Wednesdays, I will go to a different place where the current format is for us to sit in a circle, but we are using a PA. So some of us are on the stage facing the bar/restaurant, while others of us are just off-stage facing the stage. Here, most are playing covers while others join in. But once again, I only do originals (but have started adding in a cover).

There are some other places I've played, too. One isn't doing open mics at the moment (primarily because they allowed "bands", too, and it just got too loud so they got complaints from customers). I think they'll re-start it again and only allow acoustic acts (no drums, loud guitars, etc).

I almost didn't go this Wednesday because I was so tired. But I'm glad I did. I almost always close with this song that I wrote to a friend of mine who passed away under tragic circumstances two years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIeIk_VPlYA

After I was done, somebody wanted to talk to me. Turns out he formed a suicide prevention charitable organization a few years ago, and wants to talk to me about using that song. Wow . . . finally the RIGHT person has heard my song.

I'm not sure I'll ever do five nights in a week again, though . . that was just too much. About two (or maybe three) should be my limit. Especially now that I'm working on my first CD project (12 original songs). Was in the studio a week ago, and will be in the studio again this week.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:16 PM

Oh . . I always bring my Shure KSM8 with me now. I've never had an issue having the sound guy swap it out for me (or muting me while I do it). I don't do it so much for hygienic reasons, but because I love what the mic does for my vocals. Much like how I now play with my Yamaha Silent Guitar . . it just works, with no issues at all, and sounds great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion