The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-19-2021, 01:42 PM

Default LR Baggs Anthem *AND* ES1. (2nd output jack)

I have a 2009 (ish) 414ce with an ES1.2 in it. The ES1 is ok, but I want something better and have (mostly) decided on the LR Baggs Anthem. I had the idea of installing the Anthem without removing the existing ES. While I'm sure many might think it's redundant to have 2 pickup systems in a guitar, I see some benefit such as having the option to choose the pickup system depending on the situation (for example, big loud band vs a quiet solo performance), or having a backup if one fails or runs out of battery.

But above that, it seems to me that since none of the Anthem's components would occupy the same spaces as the ES1 components (with the exception of the endpin jack), it would be more work to strip out the existing components of the ES1 than to simply leave it in and add the Anthem. The caveat of course being the need to drill and install a 2nd output jack. To me, any cons of adding the 2nd output jack is outweighed by the pros of not stripping the ES1 out.

What is your recommendation regarding drilling a second output jack on my Taylor? My thinking is to drill one between the endpin/battery compartment and the guitar top. I've seen other threads talk about this and have seen some (non-Taylor) photo examples. It does look like there's just enough space in spite of Taylor's big endpin battery compartment.

Is there any other advice or comments regarding what I'm trying to achieve?
Thanks everyone.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:19 PM

I would by a spare endpin jack

https://www.dannyd.com/taylor-guitar...v-battery-box/

The Taylor ES1.2 has a balanced ouput.

Just cut the Tip connection on the cable socket on your spare endpin. So your Ouput jack is only connected to Ring and Sleeve.
Unsolder your Anthem endpin jack and solder the cables to the Tip and Sleeve connection of your spare Taylor ES endpin. (check with a multimeter)

Now you have
* Anthem wired to Tip (+) /Sleeve (Ground)
* ES1.2 wired to Rig (- because of phase) / Sleeve (Ground)

If you use a Standard jack cable you will get just the Anthem sound.
If you use a TRS cable and a dual channel preamp, you can blend both. Just keep in min that the ES1.2 is out of phase, but most dual channel preamp have a phase switch to correct that.

No extra holes. Both system work.

my 2 cents,
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-19-2021, 03:21 PM

If you don't want to use the TAylor ES anymore just remove the taylor endpin jack and put the Anthem

Don't forget to re-use the 9V battery pocket. (2 wires to be soldered)
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 01-20-2021, 11:15 AM

I think Cuki is on to something here. No extra holes and still flexible.

If you know you never want to blend both and just use one or the other, could one make a custom cable to plug in that would default to the ES pickup?

If that would work, you could carry both a standard and custom cable that is labeled and plug and play with whatever system you want without the investment in a 2 channel preamp.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I would by a spare endpin jack

The Taylor ES1.2 has a balanced ouput.

Just cut the Tip connection on the cable socket on your spare endpin. So your Ouput jack is only connected to Ring and Sleeve.
Unsolder your Anthem endpin jack and solder the cables to the Tip and Sleeve connection of your spare Taylor ES endpin. (check with a multimeter)

Now you have
* Anthem wired to Tip (+) /Sleeve (Ground)
* ES1.2 wired to Rig (- because of phase) / Sleeve (Ground)

If you use a Standard jack cable you will get just the Anthem sound.
If you use a TRS cable and a dual channel preamp, you can blend both. Just keep in min that the ES1.2 is out of phase, but most dual channel preamp have a phase switch to correct that.

No extra holes. Both system work.

my 2 cents,
Cuki
That is quite an intriguing idea! Thanks for that suggestion, I will look into it but ultimately it might be too fussy of a solution for me.

I'm a simple-minded plug-and-play kinda guy, and as long as I can get a competent tech to drill the 2nd hole for me, it will help keep things super simple for me.

Has anyone drilled a second jack on their Taylor? Was there enough space between the battery box assembly and the guitar top?
Old 01-21-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin4winter View Post
I'm a simple-minded plug-and-play kinda guy, and as long as I can get a competent tech to drill the 2nd hole for me, it will help keep things super simple for me.
I see you are wiling to have that 2nd hole drilled.

However, just to show how simple it can be done without drilling a 2nd hole here are pictures from this website that I commented.
http://www.chubbuckguitars.com/bench...r-814ce-49-lbs

You can still pay a comptent tech to do it. This mod will not alter the value of your guitar (This is fully reversible for $35)... The 2nd hole will.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 09-03-2022, 07:05 AM

Default Blended install

I just installed an LR Baggs Anthem in my custom Taylor. Instead of the Baggs piezo i used the ES2 and the Anthem mic. He had to install the Baggs input Jack in place of the Taylor and I’m not sure why he couldn’t have just retro fitted the Taylor jack but he didn’t. Now i can use the battery compartment originally installed and yes the three Taylor knobs are obsolete but to be honest i had them set to flat all the time anyways. This system sounds absolutely stunning. 😊
Old 02-27-2023, 09:10 PM

How did you get the Taylor board and jack out? I can't seem to loosen the "bolt" on the Taylor jack so that I can install the LR Baggs one.
Old 02-28-2023, 07:48 PM

So I called LR Baggs today, and spoke to one of their techs. He basically said you have to almost have to break the end pin off. So I put the end/outside of the end pin in my vice grip and then used a pair of small channel locks to slightly twist the board by grabbing it by the black block. Once I did that I heard a pop, and then it was loose. When I tried to twist it off it pretty much fell off with a few turns. With that said; the board is done, but that part is $40 online. I ordered one….just to have one on the shelf. I’ll wire everything up tomorrow night then send another update with pics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
es1, lr baggs anthem, output jack, pickup, taylor