The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-26-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWB5007 View Post
Holy Cow! While I was typing my post you posted the moderns and the Walkers...while I am chiefly familiar with modern takes on vintage Martins and Gibson I can only look on in awe at that collection
Sorry I over indulged... must be the wine haha... celebrating my Bday
Old 12-26-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWB5007 View Post
Wow, that's a magnificent looking group of OMs, thanks for sharing!

Like Jimmi, I too would like to know how your Borges sounded by comparison, not so much a ranking as some insight into timbral variation. From what I read above it looks like the Circa is a bit softer and rounder than the others - I guess I'd expect that from the Borges as well but I sure would like to hear from someone who plays them all the time.

I keep finding the softer, rounder trebles associated with a touch less air ... I play a Mcalister OM 28 and I really like the warmth or the rounder trebles, I don't give up clarity to bass smear and the bloom is incredible (both compromises usually made to warmth in non-vintage instruments) but there is a bit less air than in some really great vintage guitars I've played and I have only occasionally come across this sense of air in newer guitars (A Merrill I once owned for instance); when I do find it in a newer guitar it seems like it always comes with much brighter - or maybe faster - treble transients.

I understand that bloom and balance are just incredible from all those builders - thanks again for the pics (and whatever you decide to share of your experiences)

MB
The Borges is more dry sounding and mellow than the Circa... I know John worked w/ Julius years ago, so there may be some similarities...
I find the Circa to have more reverb and sustain... and more airy too...
Some will prefer the Borges, some will like the Circa more.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Just... wow. The 3 OMs were impressive in their own right, and then multiple cornerstones of modern guitar building were unleashed
Old 12-26-2016, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsgeek View Post
The Borges is more dry sounding and mellow than the Circa... I know John worked w/ Julius years ago, so there may be some similarities...
This is an amazing selection of guitars. May I ask: when describing the Circa, what do you mean by it sounds more "airy?"

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 12-26-2016, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Wow, what a collection of OMs. My Circa certainly sounded a little tight at the beginning but opened up nicely after a few months. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-26-2016, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Dave, OMG, talk about a quality problem, I'd never know which OM to play first! Lol... so classy... modern built vintage inspired OMs are my ALL time favorites... congrats on such a fine gathering:-)
Old 12-26-2016, 09:55 PM

Smile

Fsgeek's photos of his guitar collection may just be the single biggest cause of GAS on AGF right now!
Old 12-26-2016, 10:13 PM

I still have four days to change my mind but I got zero guitars this year. Now that is rather sad for a slow year indeed.

Congrats on the trio of lovely OMs. I'd love to see more photos. I'm also interested in your thoughts when comparing these top notch custom builds with some of the Martins you've played.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

Smile Fun thread here!!!

Congrats on a stable of outstanding instruments! Egads...

Now I feel much less extravagant! Positively penurious... hahahah

How do you decide which to play?

Enjoy them all! And Please keep sharing.

Cheers and a festive Yule

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-27-2016, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Seven guitars, 2 ukes and 1 mandolin for me in 2016. Hopefully 2017 will be a bit more quiet on the buying side for me ;-) It's about time to downsize and play a bit more.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 12-27-2016, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Wonderful collection of guitars, all I need is a winning lottery ticket and I am right there with you! If you don't mind sharing, what were the circumstances that made the Circa available so soon after the original owner took delivery?
Old 12-27-2016, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsgeek View Post
Fsgeek, it is wonderful that you are fortunate enough to play and compare all of these. I am more of a vintage person and currently have 3 Gibsons 1935, 1936, 1936 and 3 Martins 1933, 1937, 1937. My quandary was getting a 1929-33 OM-28 which would (I thought) require me selling too many to acquire it and then, would I feel OK having that much money wrapped up in one guitar ($40K). I went on a OM-28 re-creation search and bought a 1935 C-2 to have Howard Klepper convert to a flat top, got on Julius' build list for 2018 but then I found a 28 year old Franklin OM-5 Brazilian (like a 42 Martin). The Franklin's neck is a tad thin (compared to vintage), but the tone has stopped me dead in my tracks. I guess the older Franklin's were more Martin like and the newer ones are more modern in the Circa vein. The OM-5 IS the the guitar I was searching for.

I put the C-2 conversion on hold, but I am not sure what to do when Julius emails me that I am up......My 1/3 deposit is non-refundable and I'd hate to lose that cash. Julius' up charge for Brazilian is more than most other luthier guitars and I love the Franklin. Plus, while searching for a used Borges (which never seem to come up other than the one at GuitarGal) I back channeled on an as new OM-18GG. The Golden Grain Mahogany is supposedly a bit richer in tone than his standard Mahogany and his GG stash is now gone. This is a phenomenal guitar - not a dry as my original OM-18, but it is the most responsive non-vintage guitar I have ever played all the way up the nice full neck.

Have you ever played an EIR OM-28 from Borges?

For me, 2016 brought in the Borges OM-18GG, a mint 1933 OM-18, a 1989 Franklin OM-5, a 1935 C-2, a 1937 00-17, and a Goodall MCJ for slack key fun....if I didn't buy all 6 (and the deposit on the Borges OM-28) I'd have more than enough for a 1930's OM-28.....what am I doing again?
Old 12-28-2016, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post

Have you ever played an EIR OM-28 from Borges?
I own one that is amongst the top 5 instruments I've played. I recently had a chance to compare it to a lovely 1930 Martin OM-28.

Tonally, I couldn't decide which I liked more! Probably a good sign...
Old 12-30-2016, 02:27 AM

Just interested, how do those more traditional designs Martin style compare with the more modern designs and general features/sound of a Traugott 00 - R models or the Somogyi Om that you own. I don't want to compare them with the bigger Somogyi Sj or Md or Walker SJ wich might have a bigger caracteristic sound.

The Dudenbostel just looks incredible for me, but Circa and Merril are nice too. Difficult to choose one without playing/trying/compare them myself.

Having those incredible guitars to try and compare is something that just a few people have. Congratulations and thanks for the nice pictures and valuable post.

Happy new year to all and wish that next year we get the oportunity to start such a nice collection.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:12 AM

Thanks guys...
I have sold and traded some of the modern guitars to friends..
I feel that the traditional design have more nuances and warmth...
The modern ones have a colder tone and feel...

I still love my 1st and favorite Somogyi OM and the MD from 01'.
They were the best Somogyis I had along w/ another OM that Robbypad owns now (not in the above pictures).
Those Somogyis are a few serial numbers away from each other.
And they are the most open sounding among those I owned and played.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop