The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-22-2016, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I realize it's not a rosewood and I've never played one myself actually. I don't want to incorrectly paraphrase Jim O but that's who I took my rosewood-y comment from. I'd have to play a cedar/Pernambuco SJ alongside my cedar/BRW SJ to hear the differences myself.

I already have a yellowish guitar though (Ceylon satinwood is great and rosewood-y as well although I don't have another Petros to compare it with) so my next one (not sure when it's going to happen due to the low Canadian dollar) will mostly likely be cocobolo...
There is more to Pernambucco than merely its color (but if the color of the guitar is something that drives you to decide what to have a builder use, then that's your decision to make), and based on the half dozen pernambucco guitars I have played (and the two I own), I will say that they all share a similar and unique tonal characteristic between them, which is unlike any other tonewood I have ever heard. Personally, I really don't think it would pair well with cedar, as you would lose the brilliance and shimmer of the note/tone with such a soft soundboard, and I don't believe Jim has made a pernambucco SJ with a cedar top, but I could be wrong about that. Also, strictly IMO based on cocobolo guitars I have owned and played over the years, there is absolutely no comparison between the two. Personally, I'm not a big fan of cocobolo in terms of it's weight (guitars with the stuff seem to be very heavy) and the tone (there are much better sounding options for the money in the RW family). I can honestly say that based on the two pernambuco guitars I own (Olson and Brondel), I would build/own another one pernambucco guitar before I would ever consider another guitar made with any rosewood other than Brazilian.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 08-22-2016, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Default Pernambuco

I have not played one of Jim's guitars with a pernambuco body, but I can concur about what he has to say about it's unique sonic characteristics. I have experienced that with my pernambuco Sexauer L00. Luthier Howard Klepper who I find to be quite articulate described the sound of pernambuco guitars in a manner that is reflective of my experience with my guitar:

"Pernambuco is kind of in its own category. I've heard this guitar and three that Bruce Sexauer has made. They all had a notable clarity and full series of overtones from top notes to bottom. No harshness; nothing missing. One could almost say it is perfectly neutral, but that would not do it justice. One could also say that about a high damping wood such as maple, but where maple gets its neutrality from taking away evenly from all parts of the spectrum, Pernambuco's comes more from a positive contribution across the spectrum. It's like every note is just where it ought to be in terms of the back's contribution to bass resonance and treble reflection. Its combination of elasticity and very low damping have made it the wood of choice for bowmakers. Those properties also make for a great guitar. Too bad it has been so rarely available in guitar sets, and likely to be even less so in the future."

Pernambuco imparts clarity and overtones across the bass to trebles in a balanced and neutral fashion. I look forward to trying MikeD's some day.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
I am fairly new to Olson acoustics, and found myself intrigued by the build, sound, and following these have! I'm a big fan of James Taylor, but honestly hadn't paid attention to his gear to notice.

Anyway, just a curiosity question: do his acoustics appreciate in value? I have noticed that the used models I see on Dream Guitars, Gbase etc all seem to have price tags higher than his current base price. Perhaps it has to do with options on those models (Brazilian RW, inlays etc). But even then it would appear they are higher than expected.
Hi TJ
If kept long enough, and well maintained, Olson guitars surely do appreciate.

My 1992-93 Dreadnought is worth the times what I paid for it originally. The SJ models usually sell for more than Dreadnought... Not because they are better, but because the SJ size is more popular.

I must say I didn't consider resale when I bought mine, then nor now. It's mine till death do us part (it is my main guitar).

They are amazing sounding, with impecabile fit-n-finish, and wonderful action. Many players have played mine for a few seconds and stopped to say "Wow!" And then play more.

Rarity also adds value. James has built fewer in his lifetime than some guitar factories build in a month.

So I don't see them as being overpriced... New or used.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-22-2016, 08:12 PM

Yeah, I have to say an SJ (Cedar/Rosewood SJ) is the only guitar still on my bucket list! I just hope I'll be able to afford one before Jim Olson decides to stop making them! (More than happy with my 814ce in the meantime ;-))

Taylor 514ce (1999)
Taylor Baby-m (1999)
Taylor 814ce (2014 - Finally!)
Old 08-23-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi TJ
If kept long enough, and well maintained, Olson guitars surely do appreciate.

My 1992-93 Dreadnought is worth the times what I paid for it originally. The SJ models usually sell for more than Dreadnought... Not because they are better, but because the SJ size is more popular.

I must say I didn't consider resale when I bought mine, then nor now. It's mine till death do us part (it is my main guitar).

They are amazing sounding, with impecabile fit-n-finish, and wonderful action. Many players have played mine for a few seconds and stopped to say "Wow!" And then play more.

Rarity also adds value. James has built fewer in his lifetime than some guitar factories build in a month.

So I don't see them as being overpriced... New or used.

Yet again, my original post stands as being misunderstood. My fault for not being more clear. I just wanted to know based on resale price I've seen, whether Olsons tend to appreciate. That had nothing to do with expectations for a purchase, or investment ideas.

I have only recently come back to acoustics, after many years of absence / ignorance. So I was not aware of the explosion of new luthiers making killer instruments. I also had no idea about the availability of exotic woods these builders can obtain. Which can certainly drive prices up.

I have been blessed enough in my professional life that if I really, really wanted an Olson (and Jim O had an opening for me), I could treat myself to one. Not that my ability warrants such a specimen.

Anyway, given the limited spaces Mr Olson has available, it's not very likely I will be getting one (short of a used). I quite enjoy my Martins overall and they may well do me into the sunset.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 08-24-2016, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yet again, my original post stands as being misunderstood. My fault for not being more clear. I just wanted to know based on resale price I've seen, whether Olsons tend to appreciate. That had nothing to do with expectations for a purchase, or investment ideas.

I have only recently come back to acoustics, after many years of absence / ignorance. So I was not aware of the explosion of new luthiers making killer instruments. I also had no idea about the availability of exotic woods these builders can obtain. Which can certainly drive prices up.

I have been blessed enough in my professional life that if I really, really wanted an Olson (and Jim O had an opening for me), I could treat myself to one. Not that my ability warrants such a specimen.

Anyway, given the limited spaces Mr Olson has available, it's not very likely I will be getting one (short of a used). I quite enjoy my Martins overall and they may well do me into the sunset.
Hi Tom
If you get the chance at least play a couple Olsons along the way. And getting a used one can be a pretty nice thing.

Sorry for apparently muddying the waters... Wasn't my aim.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 08-25-2016 at 07:32 PM. Reason: corrected Oklahoma to Olsons...
Old 08-25-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Tom
If you get the chance at least play a couple Oklahoma along the way. And getting a used one can be a pretty nice thing.

Sorry for apparently muddying the waters... Wasn't my aim.

No, it's ok. I think spell-check kicked in (Oklahoma)?

And yes, just once i'd love to try an Olson. But maybe better I don't, as I might covet one. And then have minimal chance to buy one. There goes my sanity. Not that it had much chance for happening anyway...

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 08-25-2016, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, it's ok. I think spell-check kicked in (Oklahoma)?
Hi TJ...

Ha! I was swipe/typing on my iPad. I probably should spell check a little closer!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 08-26-2016, 06:12 AM

This was a great thread and I enjoyed watching the Olson interview. I didn't think I could afford an Olson either but you never know when you might get a good deal. I always want to purchase new (except when I'm buying a vintage instrument), but the used Olson market can produce some very very nice guitars. So I advise the OP to just keep looking and something may just pop up that he can afford and would love to own.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:28 PM

This 2013 SJ sold within hours of being listed.

http://themusicemporium.com/new-arrivals/olson-sj-2013

The store requested $13K -- which is more or less what Jim would've charged three years ago.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
This 2013 SJ sold within hours of being listed.

http://themusicemporium.com/new-arrivals/olson-sj-2013

The store requested $13K -- which is more or less what Jim would've charged three years ago.
That's still a reasonable price for a used Olson. Reverb currently has a few for sale and the price is comparable.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:14 AM

Default Great thread...

I agree with Frances, a great thread...why, because we're all totally opinionated or we wouldn't be here and Olsons are so iconic. What can I add? Not much except to say:

My Olson ( first one here: http://olsonguitars.com/the-art/recently-sold/7/ - The Tree ) was the first and perhaps only I thought of its resale value before purchasing it - so totally get your question! And it does matter, cuz once you've dropped $15,000 on an instrument you will not play it much and seldom loan it out. But you will be glad to know it will at least (in an ever-inflating world) hold it's true economic value.

It, unfortunately for me, is maybe more about ego - bringing out a weakness of mine. As for sound, that is my number one criteria and I agree with what others have said here before, on that score (make mine a Kinnaird for sound).

I have a limited edition Santa Cruz also from The Tree, so its fun to have another.

I suspect I won't resell my Olson and it might be the most fought-over when I die...but I think my 'ultimate guitar' will be the one I play the most, not the one I play the least.
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 12-25-2016, 04:59 PM

I have never played An Olson that was anywhere near worth the asking price, ,to me they sound like a really good Taylor or Larrivee,,
But that's only my opinion,,I have friends who disagree with me!
Old 12-25-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
I have never played An Olson that was anywhere near worth the asking price, ,to me they sound like a really good Taylor or Larrivee,,
But that's only my opinion,,I have friends who disagree with me!
I've never played a Larrivee and my Taylor 12 string is a remarkable sounding instrument, but it in no way compares to my Olson.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop