The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-11-2015, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westman View Post
I like the look of these instruments, bet they sound good to.
Westman--thanks for checking in. If you can believe it, they sound even better than they look!

Joel just updated me and sent a couple more pics. Getting closer to having the box closed up. I'm still really loving the look of this BRW!

Thanks for following along...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 05-11-2015, 07:03 PM

Congrats on this great build. I love what Joel does. I particularly like the leaf theme especially on the sound port and rosettes.. Very organic and artistic.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Cool pics, is that the inside of a rib bevel?
Old 05-20-2015, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
Cool pics, is that the inside of a rib bevel?
Indeed it is "dcn"--thanks for checking it out.

Marcus reminded me over on his build thread that this thread has been quiet of late. Joel has been on the hunt for an appropriate piece of coco for the center lam of the neck. Apparently, coco is becoming more and more scarce and it took him a good while to find something suitable. He finally located an appropriate piece and it is scheduled to arrive at some point today.

So hopefully, we'll be back on track and have some updates and pictures soon. I'm trying not to get too anxious and bother Joel too much and just let him work his magic!

I'm off to the Strawberry Music Festival this weekend to hear some great music and do some jamming. Have a great Memorial Day Weekend everyone!
Old 05-28-2015, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Not much new to report here, but here's a shot of the laminated neck glued up with the coco center lamination. Looking good....

Old 05-29-2015, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Joel has started on the binding and sent me a few more pics today. Really like the piece of coco that he chose for the endgraft--the grain lines of it seem to cross over themselves as a continuation of the BRW grain of the back. Too cool! Also a great pic of Chewbacca, the "The Shop Guardian of Scrapwood"! Haven't seen any pics of the adi top for awhile--I think he may be holding out on me! Have a great weekend all...

Old 06-07-2015, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Joel sent me some updated progress pics yesterday--he spent a good portion of last week getting going on the inlay work on the adi top for my BRW build. After much discussion on rosette styles and the overall look, we decided to go with his traditional leaf inlay with a slightly segmented coco rosette outside of that. We also wanted to tie the leaf stem into the lower part of the fretboard using more of his leaf inlays on the neck. The overall feel wanted to be simple yet elegant, and I think Joel has made a wonderful start to this with his work on the top thus far! And the coco rib bevel is simply gorgeous as this point. Thanks for following along and checking it out!

Old 06-07-2015, 11:24 AM

MAN I love Joel's work! That is so nice, really loving it. It has been a while since we've had a Stehr build thread I believe. Can't wait to see the final outcome.

Edit: Love the contours of the figure of the rib bevel!! Ties in extremely well with the rounded edge. Almost as if it were an optical illusion! Love the grain direction of the radial rosette as well. Creates an excellent effect.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-07-2015, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Marcus! Joel really does incredible work...as do all of the talented luthiers whose work we see on this forum. I continue to be amazed how they do some of the things they do like the rib and arm bevels and the inlay work. I'm really looking forward to seeing this guitar come together with all the different elements working to make a cohesive whole. That's what so cool about your build--everything just works together so well! It's been inspiring to me to watch your thread as it has progressed. I've still got a bit of a wait, but I know it will all be worth it.....
Old 06-07-2015, 12:11 PM

I agree, this looks incredible so far. I really have loved every Stehr I have seen and this one is not going to disappoint. Congratulations this is going to be a fantastic build.

I agree about everyone's work, I mean it is amazing. I wish I had unlimited funds because I would order a McKnight, an Edwinson, a Charis, another Kinnaird, a Sexauer, a Kostal, a Michaud, a Leach, a Hatcher, a Wren, a Kraut, and about 10 more that I can't think of right now... I mean really, would any of us not be happy with any one of the above. Yes, I know I did not list them all, and by that mean no slight, just cut the grass, having a little adult cocktail and doing some lists on the spot. These luthiers are amazing. For someone like me that can play a little and love beautiful woods and building things, the guitar is the perfect blend of that along with pure artistry.

Congrats to all builders and those of us lucky enough to have saved enough to afford to commission a build....
Old 06-07-2015, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I agree about everyone's work, I mean it is amazing. I wish I had unlimited funds because I would order a McKnight, an Edwinson, a Charis, another Kinnaird, a Sexauer, a Kostal, a Michaud, a Leach, a Hatcher, a Wren, a Kraut, and about 10 more that I can't think of right now... I mean really, would any of us not be happy with any one of the above. Yes, I know I did not list them all, and by that mean no slight, just cut the grass, having a little adult cocktail and doing some lists on the spot. These luthiers are amazing. For someone like me that can play a little and love beautiful woods and building things, the guitar is the perfect blend of that along with pure artistry.

Congrats to all builders and those of us lucky enough to have saved enough to afford to commission a build....
+1 to that Tom! Every time I look at a build thread, I think about how cool it would be to have a custom built by that luthier. And the list would extremely lengthy due to the talented luthier pool there is out there--so many talented and qualified builders.

I feel extremely blessed to partake in this custom experience and vicariously experience everyone else's builds through this forum...
Old 06-07-2015, 12:59 PM

I really love that rosette, Joel has a great eye for the aesthetic aspects of the guitar! There is not one thing about my Stehr that I would change, it is elegant in every detail. Enjoying following this build, I'm sure you will be thrilled with the guitar!
Martin J-41
Old 06-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the comments, Dave--Joel does have great taste in the aesthetics and has been wonderful to work with throughout the process. I totally trust his judgement and opinions when it comes to making these decisions, but he always makes me feel that I'm a part of the process as well. And I see that your Stehr has the same specs and woods that my other current Stehr has--if it's anything like mine (and I'm sure it is), it must be a killer guitar! I'm sure this BRW will be awesome as well--I look forward to having the different flavored Stehr's in my arsenal. Thanks for following along!
Old 06-11-2015, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

I was able to jump in line with Joel on my build because he wasn't able to attend the Memphis show and had this guitar in process. I see that Joel now has for sale his last available Memphis guitar that is near complete. If anyone's looking to avoid a 20-month wait and purchase an awesome SJ, they should check this out and jump on it! No way you would be sorry with this instrument...

http://www.stehrguitars.com/For-Sale.html

Meanwhile back on my build, I received some more pics today as Joel continues to progress my BRW auditorium. He continues to amaze me with his artistry--check out the cocobolo back strap with its liquid flowing grain patterns. Really love how this is coming together. With the coco end graft, up into the center orange of the BRW back, up to the coco heel cap, continuing up through the center coco neck lam, and finally up into the coco back strap, I think the eye will really be drawn from bottom to top with the continuation of the orange coloring throughout all the elements. Now I can't wait to see the armrest bevel come together.

Thanks for following along!

Old 06-11-2015, 09:36 PM

Default Coming along nicely!

The Stehr build threads are my favorites. His attention to detail is phenomenal, and I am always anxious to find out where the leaf/leaves will be inlaid. I can't wait to see how this one looks when it is finally completed. Thanks for taking us along on this ride.

The pictures Joel put up of the Ebony SJ are beautiful.

Shane

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop