The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-25-2015, 06:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

I previously acquired an old, original stock Saf-T-Planer that has never been used. I didn't know what I would use it for, but I knew that they were no longer in production, and very sought- after...becoming as rare as hen's teeth. It's been sitting on a shelf, in its original round box, just waiting for the day that it's intended use would be revealed to me...
Old 03-25-2015, 09:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
I previously acquired an old, original stock Saf-T-Planer that has never been used. I didn't know what I would use it for, but I knew that they were no longer in production, and very sought- after...becoming as rare as hen's teeth. It's been sitting on a shelf, in its original round box, just waiting for the day that it's intended use would be revealed to me...
Hang onto that Saf-T-Planer! DO NOT sell it on eBay! You're gonna be glad you have it, for lots of uses. Some people use it for thicknessing tops, sides, and backs. I haven't done that, but it's nice to know I can. If you use it correctly, and keep those cutters sharp, the Wagner Saf-T-Planer is a McGuyver tool.
I should add that this tool works best on good, solid drill press tables. Don't use it on a wimpy machine.
I should also add, despite the name, you can still hurt yourself- or your workpiece- if you are careless. Safety first!
Old 03-25-2015, 11:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

I bought it on Ebay for $50 before I found my thickness sander on Craigslist. It's a new in the box 16/32 Ryobi that I bought for $125. The Saf-T-Planer even has the sharpening stone that came with it.

Last edited by Joel Teel; 03-25-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:35 AM

Wow Steve this is absolutely unreal. You are a master craftsman.

On a similar note, I was over at Joel Michaud's shop a few weeks ago, we were discussing a future build. I already have one of his OO's and it is the best instrument I have ever played. Might add an OM to the list. We got to chatting about other builders and he mentioned this Edwinson guy.

Don't quote me exactly but I believe Joel said something to the effect of... "Steve has got to be one of the most generous and inventive people on the planet. His artistry is taking guitar building to the next level at a alarming rate, he's truly creating works of art. To add to this he is possibly the warmest and most inviting person there is. A true class act, privileged to call him a friend."

So I know Joel thinks a lot of you, and I can certainly see why!!!! Keep up the great work.

Dan.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:55 AM
AGF Sponsor

Next step- gluing on the fingerboard, and then installing the frets. I'm using my favorite fret wire, Evo Gold. Evo frets have been my standard issue for about four years now. I love this wire, because its tang width makes it easy and snug to tap into the fret slots; and it is a harder alloy than so-called "nickel-silver" fret wire. But it doesn't destroy my fretting tools the way Stainless does.

Here's the neck in the holding jig, carving and shaping nearly complete. This is pretty exciting- a little more sanding and detailing, and this will be a BUILT guitar! It never gets old, installing a brand-new neck onto a brand-new sound box, and seeing how it all comes together.

But there is still one last step in the construction phase: Making the bridge. For the Blackwood Rose guitar, I decided to make a new version of my Element style bridge- call it the Element, v. 4.0. It's a muscular, streamlined, modern shape, which accomplishes its functional requirements of fifteen degree break angle of the strings from the saddle to the anchor points at the bridge pin holes- assuring firm down-pressure on the bridge saddle for efficient transmission of string energy; good cross-dipole rigidity, which couples with the internal bracing; and, I think, a good design continuity with the rest of the guitar.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJman View Post
Wow Steve this is absolutely unreal. You are a master craftsman.

On a similar note, I was over at Joel Michaud's shop a few weeks ago, we were discussing a future build. I already have one of his OO's and it is the best instrument I have ever played. Might add an OM to the list. We got to chatting about other builders and he mentioned this Edwinson guy.

Don't quote me exactly but I believe Joel said something to the effect of... "Steve has got to be one of the most generous and inventive people on the planet. His artistry is taking guitar building to the next level at a alarming rate, he's truly creating works of art. To add to this he is possibly the warmest and most inviting person there is. A true class act, privileged to call him a friend."

So I know Joel thinks a lot of you, and I can certainly see why!!!! Keep up the great work.

Dan.
Wow, thanks, Dan- you really made my day!
It's no secret that I am a fervent fan of Joel Michaud, and his beautiful guitars as well. He casts a long shadow, that guy. So we have a mutual admiration society! I'm humbled and honored by that.
When my ship comes in laden with riches, I am DEFINITELY going to plunk down the lucre and get on Joel's build list. The instruments he makes are ravishingly attractive by every known metric!

Last edited by theEdwinson; 03-25-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Ummm... is anybody else having difficulties with Photobucket's editing tools? I tried to do some cosmetic and orientation fixes on some of the above photos, and when I post them, they revert to the original. Or, do they just take awhile to propagate in the edited form here?
Old 03-25-2015, 12:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
I bought it on Ebay for $50 before I found my thickness sander on Craigslist. It's a new in the box 16/32 Ryobi that I bought for $125. The Saf-T-Planer even has the sharpening stone that came with it.
Hey, Joel- You've seen my Grizzly 16/32 thickness sander- same type of machine you've got. I have a tip that might come in handy.
The sanding drums on these machine are small diameter, and they build up a lot of heat (friction) when you run wood through them. Some of the tropical hardwoods we use- rosewoods, mostly- are full of resin, which will quickly cake on to the abrasive belt on the sanding drum, which can cause burn marks in the wood. I often find myself picking the crud off the sanding belt with an Exacto knife, just to get a little more mileage out of it before having to put on a new sanding belt. It does run into money, having to replace belts all the time. ;-(

So, with these highly resinous woods, maybe it would be a good idea to do the major portion of your plate thicknessing with the Saf-T-Planer; then finish up with the sander.

As soon as I can get myself established in my Master Shop, I'm going to get either a double-drum or a wide-belt sander. The abrasive belts last a lot longer in those machines.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Okay, now I am faced with a choice: I can either spend the rest of today working on my income taxes; or I can lollygag a little while longer here on the AGF, and post some photos of the fully constructed Blackwood Rose guitar. Hmmm... tough choice...
I'm expecting a quart of sealer, and a fresh gallon of Seagrave nitrocellulose lacquer to arrive by today's FedEx. Tomorrow, I will begin the finishing process on this guitar.

I flipped a coin. The IRS will have to wait a little longer. Here are some photos of Ken's Blackwood Rose guitar- in the white. I like to call these "tasteful nudes". Enjoy!

Old 03-25-2015, 12:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

One more thing: A big shout out to Karura Cases! Ken asked me to have a custom-fitted Karura carbon fiber case built for the Blackwood Rose. It just arrived last week, and man, is it a great piece of work! It's built to withstand Armageddon, and look stylish and sexy while doing it.
And it only weighs about eleven pounds!
It's a PERFECT fit- which I will take some of the credit for, since I provided the detailed blueprint. The craftsmanship is top-notch all the way. The latches are SERIOUS. Five out of five stars for the Karura case!
This is my first experience with the Karura company- but based on this one, I expect to continue this relationship for a long time. This will be the top-line case I offer from here on out- they aren't cheap- but if you are going to have a dream guitar built to your specs, the Karura is a splendid case to go with it.

Thanks for looking!
Now, what should I do... taxes... or LUNCH? Hmm. Yeah- turkey and cheddar on whole wheat, with lettuce and tomato. Can't do taxes on an empty stomach.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:04 PM

Tasteful and tasty. Gorgeous work Steve. This is all coming together so beautifully.

What a wonderful homage to my Dad. We are pleased!
Old 03-25-2015, 01:33 PM

Words fail...splendid work. True art.
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 03-25-2015, 01:37 PM

Nice touch with the monogram in the case!!! Fitting for such a work of pure art and sound...
Old 03-25-2015, 04:07 PM

Default Edwinson

Steve, this is SO BEAUTIFUL. Sure wish this was going to Memphis so I could see it and play it. Great job as always!
Old 03-25-2015, 06:32 PM

Steve, I'm sorry for boring you with all this repetition but this is an outstanding build... I could stare at the inlay for days. I think we are all captivated by the looks of this that we forget that it is a playable guitar as well and what a voice it must have!!! I r8 8/8.

On the note of the Karura, I'm glad to hear you rave about it because it's exactly what I'm getting for my Michaud Your case is stirring a jealousy within me though as I have decided to go for the even lighter case for practical reasons which does not come with the clear carbon fibre finish so all I get is an opaque white Haha

Again, stunning build. I can't imagine how proud you must be of yourself to be able to create such a masterpiece. And Ken is one lucky guy!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop