The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 08:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

I really thought that guitar was great too, and thank you for mentioning it. I made a very similar instrument subsequently, though with different species spruce and shorter scale, and it too seemed to work better than average. I generally like everything I make, in case you hadn't noticed, but these both seemed exceptional within my body of work. That is why I am making a third for the HGF/13 event, though this one too has its differences.

The top is completed as of an hour ago and I offer you a glimpse of the inside. This is German Old Stock, not particularly high grade, but meets all my technical parameters perfectly; quartered/ stiff in both directions/ no obvious run out/ exceptional tap tone. It is easily criticized for grain inconsistency and color, but I call that character and expect the guitar to overwhelm any criticism through sheer performance. We shall see!

Old 07-01-2013, 07:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here is my progress at the end on Monday:

Still have a center reinforcement and a label to go.

The top and sides should be ready to receive the back tomorrow.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

It's a late for me, 10:20, and I just walked my dog as I do every night and noticed I had left a light on in the shop. So I walked in and saw this, which is not as focused as it might be due to low light, but it is a view I haven't seen before so I'm sharing it with you.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:47 PM

[QUOTE=Bruce Sexauer;3517025]Here are a couple of shots from the Grass Valley event courtesy of Monte Hendricks who was showing banjos there:

Front edge of my table (the Maple/RW 0 is a serious contender):

Any chance that the Maple/Redwood 0 will be taking a ride to Healdsburg. That is exactly the sort of small body that would wet my appetite - and in a very big way I might add!

Schwartz Oracle and Oracle SJ / Ryan Nightingale / Schoenberg Sexauer 00/ Martin Custom Shop 00 / Martin Custom Shop 00028-VSC / Schwartz 00 Coming
Old 07-02-2013, 09:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

My shop is just 19 miles from the HGF venue, so even if I fail to bring the Maple 0 we can get it into your hands pretty easily. I got the 0 back recently when it was traded in on a more upscale piece of mine. People say I am pretty generous on value in a trade in situation involving my own work; as long as the value of the new sale is 150% the value of the trade in I give full original purchase price back. So, this $7500 "0" + $3750 bought a $11250 brand new guitar. It's sort of like a time payment plan but you get a guitar the whole time. That is still the price on the "0", by the way, and includes a 99%+ white Calton case. I sold this "0" the first time at HGF/09 where it was a featured piece. New today the same "0" would be $9000, but w/o the now unobtainable case. The condition of the guitar is excellent, several very small dents, no scratches that I've seen.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:41 PM

This gestating German spruce and Amazon Rosewood beauty is also causing significant GAS. Cannot wait for the HGF! I think I'm gonna play me some Sexauer's!

Schwartz Oracle and Oracle SJ / Ryan Nightingale / Schoenberg Sexauer 00/ Martin Custom Shop 00 / Martin Custom Shop 00028-VSC / Schwartz 00 Coming
Old 07-02-2013, 10:35 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
My shop is just 19 miles from the HGF venue, so even if I fail to bring the Maple 0 we can get it into your hands pretty easily. I got the 0 back recently when it was traded in on a more upscale piece of mine. People say I am pretty generous on value in a trade in situation involving my own work; as long as the value of the new sale is 150% the value of the trade in I give full original purchase price back. So, this $7500 "0" + $3750 bought a $11250 brand new guitar. It's sort of like a time payment plan but you get a guitar the whole time. That is still the price on the "0", by the way, and includes a 99%+ white Calton case. I sold this "0" the first time at HGF/09 where it was a featured piece. New today the same "0" would be $9000, but w/o the now unobtainable case. The condition of the guitar is excellent, several very small dents, no scratches that I've seen.
Like my plan to live rent free by breaking even on the mortgage. More than generous. I hope to make it to HGF next year but I have to plan. Summer at the jersey shore is too busy and there aren't enough hours in the day. Bt I'm moving to Florida in sept so I hope to plan ahead. Thanks again for the opportunity to admire your work. Love that amazon!
Old 07-02-2013, 11:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Matt'rick, you'll have to wait 2 years for HGF/15, I'm afraid. Also, your move to FL is not ideally timed as you'll be leaving just before the Woodstock Invitational in late October, where I also plan to show, though who knows at this point whether I'll have any of the guitars I am showing off at the moment.

I made the binding today from trimmings I got from the sides. As supplied, the sides were very close to 1/4" thick, just a hair more and I would have resawn them! The trim-off was 5/8" wide and utterly flat sawn, so I got 5 pieces of perfectly quartered binding, one more than I expect to need, which amounts to cheap insurance. Amazon is one of the easiest bending woods I have encountered, so I doubt I'll need the fifth piece. Still . . .

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 07-03-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
It's a late for me, 10:20, and I just walked my dog as I do every night and noticed I had left a light on in the shop. So I walked in and saw this, which is not as focused as it might be due to low light, but it is a view I haven't seen before so I'm sharing it with you.

Love the choice of fabric for the sides!

Beautiful guitars, Bruce!

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)
Old 07-04-2013, 11:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

The "0" body is bound, and here is the top from the front:

The previous similar guitars both had Abalone top purfling, which I left off this one in the interest of affordability. I did use flamed Koa purflings however, though the back and sides are done in my usual flamed maple.

Closer:

Other side of the coin:

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 07-04-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks, Bruce.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Myself as well, Mary. I believe this will have been our longest separation since meetiing! Hello to Tim, please.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am done with the body except for a bit more sanding, and the neck is well underway. Here are some shots of the sides, lest you you imaging they had some kind of shortcoming. Also, you can make out the modest wedge if you squint.

Dovetail construction are me:

Binding and graft from the same Amazon:

Did I mention the side port?
Old 07-04-2013, 03:09 PM

This guitar is looking tremendous! I am seriously salivating over it. LOVE the woods, love the look, pretty sure I would love the sound - obviously the most important characteristic. Bruce, what are your plans for nut width, string spacing, and scale on this beauty? Have you ever considered doing this model with 13 frets to the body or as a 12 fret cutaway?

Really looking forward to seeing this guitar in the flesh at Healdsburg.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have made quite a few 0's with a cutaway including this one pictured here. And here is another. And, if you're not bored yet, another from the now famous Black Cocobolo, though I don't have pics of this 2008 piece after completion for some reason.

The nut width on this guitar will be 1 99/128", which is 3/128" over 1 3/4", which can also be viewed as 1.5 64ths, sometimes called a RCH by tradesmen, rarely by tradeswomen. This has been my standard nut width for quite a few years, which I usually refer to as 1 3/4+.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop