The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-17-2013, 09:20 AM

Thx Eric, I am enjoying it immensely and hope to take a few pics in the next few days when I return home after a few weeks of a hectic schedule.

I must say, The wonderfull bass and FAT trebles are wonderfull but what always brings a smile is the overtones I hear coupled with an almost reverb type effect- the only way I can describe it is that it is as if the sound seems to echo with overtones like one is playing into a cathedral. Like a slight swirl type reverb with lush overtones - I have no idea how to describe it and I don't think it would translate to any recording that I could do but I really am intrigued to find out what it is that I am hearing.

Last edited by racman; 09-08-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:28 AM
*mahoganut*

Don - I'll add my thanks for the wood story of the blue spruce as well. I have the first production Meridian, made for 2009 Montreal and Healdsburg shows, with the blue spruce top and black cocobolo back and sides (same as Juston's except he added some personal appointments) and same as Roy's except for the appointments.

Any information that adds to the "story" of my guitars is welcome information. I am continually intrigued by all of the threads of materials, skills, ideas, designs, and construction that converge and result in these incredible instruments we all love to see, play, and hear.

Thanks!!

Phil
Old 07-18-2013, 01:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racman View Post
Thx Eric, I am enjoying it immensely and hope to take a few pics I the next few days when I return home after a few weeks of a hectic schedule.

I must say, I the wonderfull bass and FAT trebles are wonderfull but what always brings a smile is the overtones I hear coupled with an almost reverb type effect- the only way I can describe it is that it is like the sound seems to echo with overtones like one is playing into a cathedral. Like a slight swirl type reverb with lush overtones - I have no idea how to describe it and I don't think it would translate to any recording that I could do but I really am intrigued to find out what it is that I am hearing.
Interesting that you describe the sound like that Roy. My CX with an Italian top has that echo/reverb thing going too and it is quite wonderful to hear. It is not so significant on my sitka-topped JX. Makes me wonder if blue spruce and Italian spruce share sonic attributes.

Glad you are enjoying the guitar!

Col

Last edited by riorider; 07-18-2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: fixed quote with edits
Old 07-18-2013, 01:33 AM

Thanks Col

(I repaired a few "typos" on my post that I noticed in your quote - that's what happens when one is attempting to post while the flight attendants are prowling just before take off)
Old 07-18-2013, 08:34 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by racman View Post
Thanks Col

(I repaired a few "typos" on my post that I noticed in your quote - that's what happens when one is attempting to post while the flight attendants are prowling just before take off)
(I edited the quoted section with your updates!) (moderator interference)

I wonder about the blue spruce. Tim McKnight told me that "... it appears Blue Spruce is crossed with or closely related to Engelmann - Picea pungens Engelm". The only Englemann I've had was on a Taylor with very nice cocobolo - but I heard none of the "tinkling bell" I hear from the blue spruce top on the Meridian. I'm presuming it's the top and not something magical from the cocobolo or from Mike's build, but obviously could be wrong. I think most of you with whom I've spoken who have blue spruce tops hear the same thing.

It's hard to find good sets of the blue spruce, but they appear to be really special. And / or happy that Mike can make them into such wonderful instruments!

Phil
Old 07-18-2013, 08:40 AM

Thank you for the assistance Phil.

I refer to the "tinking bell" as "Angel Harmonies" in private
Old 07-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
My CX with an Italian top has that echo/reverb thing going too and it is quite wonderful to hear. It is not so significant on my sitka-topped JX.
Col,
My sitka topped 00M has that echo/reverb thing in spades. I would have never speced sitka, but, I guess as usual, its the builder.

Steve
Old 07-21-2013, 04:39 AM

I am aware that I have said most of this in a prior post, but I thought I would quote a brief description that I posted on another forum:

Well it has been a few weeks and I have not played this beauty as much as I would have liked to due to work commitments but it is clearly one of, if not the best guitar I have ever played (and I've played a few )

I am very conscious of the "honeymoon" period when a new guitar arrives but there are aspects to the tone and sound of the Baranik that I have not found as "present" in other guitars. It has a particularly sweet, fat and rounded treble quality that was exactly what I wanted. I have written elsewhere on forums and privately that I am still amazed at the natural reverb that is evident when played. Some say it is like a "tinkering bell" while I describe it fondly as "Angel Harmonies" . Of course playing the Baranik in a loud environment may not reveal this as much as when I play in a still, quiet setting but it is really a product of the sympathetic (?) overtones that are produced by the guitar. The first time I played the Baranik I was noodling around the 10-12th fret and described it as if the sound was swirling around in a mini cathedral and then released in harmony to the fundamental tone that was produced. I still cannot find an adequate, less flowery description except to state that it is a combination of natural reverb and luscious overtones being produced.

Bass and mid tones are equally as exquisite and the sustain is unlike anything I have owned or played to date.

In addition to this and besides being very balanced in tone, the Baranik has effortless harmonics to such an extent that I sometimes hear faint harmonics when I play a little less accurately...in a good way.

One of the issues I have found with many guitars I have played which have a Fingerstyle focus is that as a result of the focus on string separation above all else, the sound is less harmonious when strummed and has a "jangle" that I find uncomfortable and unpleasant. I have no idea how Mike does it but the Baranik does not suffer from this attribute and yet excels as a fingerstyle guitar.

I have just spent most of last evening and the morning experimenting with different tunings - from standard dropped semi-tone to DADGAD, Drop-D, DADGBE and a few experimental tunings to suit a particular melody I am trying to work out (currently sitting at DADEAD) and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

I recall Mike saying that the Black Cocobolo tapped like a bell that sounded as if it would “ring for days”. While it doesn’t ring for “days” he certainly has achieved something in a guitar that I have never heard before.

Someone once berated “fan boys” who extolled the virtues of any new guitar and am aware that some may well see every review as a totally subjective “gushing” justification of money and time spent but if I am labelled a “fan boy” of the Baranik then so be it. This has been worth the wait and every penny spent and to me this guitar is beautiful in aesthetic, build and tone quality and is everything that I hoped it would be!

Last edited by racman; 07-21-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the great review; I played a couple of Baraniks yesterday and was again reminded of how great they are. They do excel as fingerstyle guitars and do have a particularly sweet and fat treble response, just as you describe. And it will only get better over the coming months.

Now let's hear it!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 07-21-2013, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Roy, sounds like you are hearing many of the same qualities I enjoy about my Baranik. I would say it is the best fingerstyle guitar I've ever played. One other characteristic I find really rewarding when playing is the incredible volume and touch responsiveness. Mike builds incredibly consistent guitars, and I'm glad to hear he's delivered another masterpiece.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
While all of this beautiful artwork is amazing, it is still only the icing. The cake will be the amazing Baranik tone you are going to get from this guitar.
Well......, I hate to say I told you so, but......

Steve
Old 07-22-2013, 10:47 AM

Yes you did ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop