The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-22-2022, 09:39 AM

Default HYVIBE on HIEND guitars - is it sensible wise idea?

Seeing HYVIBE system instaled in different makers guitars (mostly factory made and lower or medium priced), I was wondering would it be smart and sensible idea to put it into some great sounding expensive guitar like Lowden Pierre Bensusan model or other even more expensive luthier made guitars.

Would you do it or not?

Besides the unpleasant fact of cutting the hole into the side of guitar, I am concerned with next things:

1. Would it have any impact on the resonance and function of the top?

2. I doubt that the under saddle piezo they use with system is on par with something like K&K or better systems, so at the times when I would just bypass the Hyvibe system by pluging directly into AER acoustic amp and try to use Amps's own effects the end result might be of lower quality - well thats what I am afraid of.

3. The last is question how good the Hyvibe reverb and looper actualy sound - i.e. the quality and the beauty of the tone you get.

I do love idea of using it for practicing purposes or fun, but I don't want to start with great sounding guitar and then adding system which might have counteract effect on the sound.

I would love to hear some opinions or experiences if you already did it.

Thank you!
Old 03-22-2022, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

I think it wouldn't be smart and definitely not sensible. Personally, I wouldn't do it. For a few reasons:

1: Unless you plan on keeping it forever, you would make the guitar a unicorn. It would be incredibly difficult to sell later, unless it was steeply discounted. Even then, you'd be hard pressed to find a buyer. I would even go so far to say that barn door electronics for high end guitar collectors is akin to kryptonite and Superman.

2. Many high end and luthier built guitars are built lighter and/or with woods that would be prone to cracking. I couldn't imagine doing that to a guitar built with "The Tree" or Brazilian or Zircote or Wenge or something else. I think it would be a recipe for further damage down the road, and it would absolutely void any warranty.

3. The goal of taking an acoustic guitar and amplifying it is to try to recreate the sound of the guitar in an amplified setting. Especially if you're hooked up to an acoustic amp. Because you would be plugged in using loops and effects, I would argue that you would be hard pressed to tell the tonal differences between say a garden variety factory built Taylor than you would with a Somogyi.

4. Lastly, there are a myriad of external loopers and sound effects available on the market to have fun and get the sound you are after without having to do something so drastic to a high end guitar.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-22-2022, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
I think it wouldn't be smart and definitely not sensible. Personally, I wouldn't do it. For a few reasons:

1: Unless you plan on keeping it forever, you would make the guitar a unicorn. It would be incredibly difficult to sell later, unless it was steeply discounted. Even then, you'd be hard pressed to find a buyer. I would even go so far to say that barn door electronics for high end guitar collectors is akin to kryptonite and Superman.

2. Many high end and luthier built guitars are built lighter and/or with woods that would be prone to cracking. I couldn't imagine doing that to a guitar built with "The Tree" or Brazilian or Zircote or Wenge or something else. I think it would be a recipe for further damage down the road, and it would absolutely void any warranty.

3. The goal of taking an acoustic guitar and amplifying it is to try to recreate the sound of the guitar in an amplified setting. Especially if you're hooked up to an acoustic amp. Because you would be plugged in using loops and effects, I would argue that you would be hard pressed to tell the tonal differences between say a garden variety factory built Taylor than you would with a Somogyi.

4. Lastly, there are a myriad of external loopers and sound effects available on the market to have fun and get the sound you are after without having to do something so drastic to a high end guitar.

Just my 2 cents.
I will add my 2 cents. I agree with Dan on this. Add external effects if you want to modify or loop your guitar's sound and prefer not to devastate it's resale value. That's only 4 cents, but to me it makes perfect sense...YMMV!
Old 03-22-2022, 01:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

I used to offer "your PU of choice" with my guitars, but when I realized that every system I ever tried had a negative affect of acoustic performance, the very thing I am actually selling, I removed the option.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Smile Bad idea

No matter what electronic gizmo you put in a guitar it will be obsolete before the instrument is….

Put the widget in a lesser axe if you must have one.

My two cents

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-23-2022, 11:40 AM

Thanks to everyone sharing their opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
I think it wouldn't be smart and definitely not sensible. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Because you would be plugged in using loops and effects, I would argue that you would be hard pressed to tell the tonal differences between say a garden variety factory built Taylor than you would with a Somogyi.
Thats what I was feeling as well! I will leave the guitar as it is and mybe just add the K&K mini for the moments if/when needed. Anyway I always prefer the good MIC and hate the piezos sound generaly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
No matter what electronic gizmo you put in a guitar it will be obsolete before the instrument is….
I agree 100% !!!

Anyway, to rephrase what was my main intention of the questions asked: how good is actualy the Hyvibe undersaddle piezo when you plug it into some hiend amp and how professional sounding are the reverb and looper function compared to premium separate units...

Well, tone is everything to me, but I gues I was a bit mislead by the hype, so the idea of fun came from there. The best is to search all the fun in guitar itself.

Thanks again to everyone

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop