The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 04:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Beautiful wood--your closeup pic really shows it off!
Depending on the cut the medullary rays can show up differently. On flat sawn wood they can look more like Oak, which is where the Sheoak name comes from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
You have a student in Tasmania? Tell us more! Is this a sort of virtual apprenticeship?
Yes, you might say I was way ahead of the pandemic virtual school. I've been working with Chris Shute in Tasmania for going on 5 years now. Chris is a talented artist with great engineering skills to boot. He just recently started showing some of his work on the forum here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=588461

I am usually happy to answer questions I get from aspiring builders. Sometimes I get questions from folks that are obviously gifted and I want to contribute to their journey in this art I love so much. Most are remote other than Sarah who is in my shop 2 days a week and,of course, there are plenty of local luthiers at all skill levels in the Granite State Luthiers Assoc. which I lead along with several other hosting luthiers. Unfortunately, our GSL meetings have been curtailed for the time being.

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 11-30-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Last Shots for 2020

Well I'm on the 300 response mark on this thread where soon one of the moderators will say "that's all for this one folks, time to start a new thread".
I think it's a little late to start a Hatcher's Studio 2020 #3 so I'll likely just start Studio 2021 #1 a little early. I believe like most folks we're all ready for 2020 to be over anyway!

I'll pick back up on the guitars I'm currently working on and I have an awesome line up of scheduled builds going into 2021.
So here are a couple update pictures. The current Woodman is coming right along I've been fitting and carving the neck which is made of 250yrs+ Honduran Mahogany sinker wood from Belize:

The headstock overlay is made from the same 100yrs+ Eastern Black Walnut that the body is. We selected I nice piece with some curl. I also have the Woodsman Black Stag inlay already in:

I am working on a Bloodwood Greta. This and the Woodsman are fun to work with at the same time because the Woodsman is a very traditional vintage style instrument while at the same time I am going very contemporary with this Greta Bloodwood grand auditorium.

Something I always wanted to do is black on black trim on a guitar. What I mean is Black mother of pearl on black Ebony. I like the idea how the MOP will pop out of the black background when the light hits.
Here is my oval logo chip with my "H" inlayed with black MOP:

I went with a highly buffed Black Ebony center back graft also:

Thanks for following along!
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 12-05-2020, 11:33 AM

"that's all for this one folks, time to start a new thread"

And, thank you for sharing all of your beautiful work in this thread Mr. H.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop