The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-11-2018, 09:04 PM

Default Cost to restore a '71 Martin D-28??

I have a '71 D-28 that has the typical 70's Martin problems. It needs:

Neck re-set
New bridge and saddle
New pick guard and small crack repaired
Possible re-fret (compression) depending on how the neck re-set changes things.

What's a ballpark number to expect to pay to have this done? A local luthier quoted me around $1700 - not sure if that is high or not. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to have it done or if I should move on to a different guitar. I'm not hugely attached to the guitar, but it is a nice aged Martin in pretty fine condition (other than the 70's problems) and has a good opened up sound.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:23 PM

Get multiple quotes from other luthiers. You'll have your answer
Old 12-11-2018, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Bryan kimsey has prices on his website.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
Bryan kimsey has prices on his website.
That helps. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2018, 10:03 PM

HW, your luthier sounds a little bit on the high side to me. Perhaps if all those jobs were done separately it might price out that high, but most of the guitar repairmen I’ve dealt with will give you a better price if everything is being done during one stay at the repair shop.

So if I received a quote like that I would definitely shop around.

Having said that, there’s a strong “home field advantage” when getting repair work executed locally by a repair tech whose workmanship you trust. For one thing, you avoid the cost of shipping, and even more importantly, you avoid the inherent risk of shipping a fragile musical instrument from Point A to Point B (and back again.) With a good local repair tech you transport the guitar to and fro yourself, and if the process is taking longer than promised if you choose you can give the occasional helpful nudge.

That’s a lot harder to do when you’ve shipped the guitar out of state. Sure, you can call and send emails, but those reminders are more easily ignored than when you drop by because you were “in the neighborhood” and “just wanted to see how things were going...”

Anyway, there are advantages to both approaches, but I always prefer to get instrument repairs and adjustments done locally whenever possible. It’s just safer, as a general rule.

So shop around, and see what you can find.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-11-2018, 10:19 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Just a suggestion, but consider mentioning the area of the country where you’re located. Often, members familiar with your region can provide good advice about where best to take the guitar within a reasonable distance.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:27 PM

Feels a hair high, I've had most of those services done a la carte (on different guitars) and I think it added up in the 1400 range.
Eastman E20P
+ a bunch of electrics...
Old 12-11-2018, 10:44 PM

Mr Kimsey did my D-18. Everything on your list, plus a bridge relocate. Martin was using a worn jig when mine was made in '72.

You'll be well pleased, and for far less than your quote. If you can, either remove the old PG yourself or make a template of it, then use that to get a new PG from Holter Pickguards. Have Bryan put it on or do it yourself.

And by the way, it ain't opened up. It sounded that way when it was new, just like mine.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 12-11-2018, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Mr Kimsey did my D-18. Everything on your list, plus a bridge relocate. Martin was using a worn jig when mine was made in '72.

You'll be well pleased, and for far less than your quote. If you can, either remove the old PG yourself or make a template of it, then use that to get a new PG from Holter Pickguards. Have Bryan put it on or do it yourself.

And by the way, it ain't opened up. It sounded that way when it was new, just like mine.
Bryan just completely overhauled my J-40, including refret, brace tuning, nut and bridge, perfect set up, plus new tuners and K&K. Totally transformed the guitar ... he also kind of specializes in 70s Martins, though mine is only about 25 years young. He has some really good info on tuning up 70s dreads, as well as extensive video library on Youtube of his work and approach. In fact, he posted one of my J-40 work and compared it to his 72 D-18, here:

I feel like i need to do an NGD post!

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 12-11-2018, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Just a suggestion, but consider mentioning the area of the country where you’re located. Often, members familiar with your region can provide good advice about where best to take the guitar within a reasonable distance.
I'm in Colorado Springs at the moment. But I'll be in the Hudson valley, NY Jan. - April.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:57 AM

There are price ranges depending on what part of the country you are looking in and the overall experience and fame of the luthier. It is more costly to operate a shop in a big city than out in the country somewhere. You will also pay more for the services of big name luthier than someone who may not have that fame. Another thing to consider is how much money do you already have tied up in the guitar. Will putting a substantial amount into a repair job increase its current value to the point that if you sell it you would at least break even rather than get yourself upside down in what you have in the guitar vs. what you could sell it for.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 12-12-2018, 02:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowed_Wood View Post
I'm in Colorado Springs at the moment. But I'll be in the Hudson valley, NY Jan. - April.

upstate NY?
this might be of interest
highly regarded Martin repairman.......

Kovacik Guitars is located in the town of Scotia, in New York's Capital Region.
You can contact Kovacik Guitars and Fretted Instrument Repair via the contact page or by calling 518-381-3958
(Monday through Saturday, 9:30 AM-5 PM Eastern time). HOURS BY APPOINTMENT ONLY...
Old 12-12-2018, 03:15 AM

Your location dictates the price, at a guess from your description only, it sounds around 700-1000 dollars worth or work to me.

Get a few quotes, over the phone quotes do not count.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 12-12-2018, 07:46 AM

Without actually seeing the instrument,basic prices for these services here in my shop are as follows:

Neck re-set( includes no fret work)$400
Remove old bridge and install new (Any work on plate inside extra) $250
Remove pick guard,repair typical cracks and install new PG $200
Full compression refret if needed $325 ( often a level and crown is what is actually needed instead which is only $100).

So About $1100 total here for what was described.....
Old 12-12-2018, 01:26 PM

Heck, I drove mine down to Bryan's, leaving Broomfield CO at zero dark thirty. It was still dark when I went through the Springs, and dawn was a little before Pueblo. A monster of a red ball rising up from the eastern plains.

I chose to have it shipped back rather than go over and back through the Raton in winter. All was perfect.

For you, the delivery drive down and back would be a much shorter day.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair