The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-25-2018, 07:13 PM

My guess is that the frets are flat on top. If that is the case, recrowning with a fret file should eliminate the buzz.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:25 PM

Mine is a new guitar...= (
Old 11-25-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Are those medium gauge strings? Is it possible the guitar is telling you it wants something lighter?
currently the guitar has 12s on it. I have tried 11s and 13s and the problem still persisted on either gauge.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post
Sounds like you have something loose and rattling - pickup jack, loose string ball under bridge - that sort of thing.
https://prnt.sc/lmypku
The picture isn't very good but I don't think their is any movement in the ball ends they seem well seated.
The guitar is not acoustic-electric so their are no electronics that could be buzzing.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
My guess is that the frets are flat on top. If that is the case, recrowning with a fret file should eliminate the buzz.
I have 2 reasons why I don't think that is the case:
1. The buzz is coming from inside the body not the fret. If I put my ear right next to the fret I'm playing it is clear that the buzz isn't coming directly from the fret.
2. The frets on the guitar when I purchased it new were completely flat, so I had a complete fret dress approx. 3 months ago. I haven't played it nearly enough in those 3 months to wear down the frets that much.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
Oh Crap!! I have the same issue I just posted a post on it, no soundclip though. Crap, others are having the same issue. Scary hearing about this on a Collings. Wow, scary!!
Yeah, based on some of the replies here a couple others have this problem. Unfortunately it does not seem anyone has solved it though.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:28 PM

I just raised the saddle, it may have even made things worse? I play pretty hard thats one issue though. I made a new saddle for it, 2.25mm taller at least.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:37 PM

Is the saddle flat on top, or rounded? It will buzz if the saddle top is not rounded like a fret top....
Old 11-26-2018, 12:01 AM

My Taylor had a custom bone saddle, intonated all over the place in weird ways. They all come up to more of a point than rounded. Some strings play ok, some are buzzing all the way up the neck, some buzz more at the high end toward the saddle.

This is wierd, my Tacoma never did this. Grrrr....
Old 11-26-2018, 07:12 AM

The other guy in my duo has been complaining about what he called zizzing on his unwound strings on both of his main players. The guitars he does not play, don't do it, but are more heavily built large bridge plate 70s era Martins (which distracted me from the real problem). I can hear it if he points it out and it is a slightly metallic overtone (he claims to be able to hear it when we play gigs which I can not). It sounds worse if he strums at a point close to the bridge which also excites one of the higher harmonics (which might change how the string vibrates at its end points). It is the open string and the first few frets (should have been a big hint).

I had him move the B string to the G string nut slot as an experiment and it went away (including the open string). I had him stretch a "bad" note out of the fret divot and it also went away.

My RainSong has fairly wide frets with a minimum crown and I can get the low E string to make a slight buzz if I strike it just right on the first few frets. I recall discovering this problem on a Guild I owned in college (40+ years ago). I imagine this might be one of the reasons Martin uses narrow frets.

I guess I stopped expecting perfection out of my guitars decades ago. He can get new nuts and a fret jobs when it really starts to bother him (maybe try stainless on his primary guitar). Though I think knowing what is going on has greatly suppressed his obsession to find and fix it.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-26-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
Is the saddle flat on top, or rounded? It will buzz if the saddle top is not rounded like a fret top....
This is the saddle I have in it right now https://www.amazon.com/Unbleached-Sa.../dp/B07CL7T9KH
I have a few spare saddles and the original one it came with and the problem persists no matter what saddle I use. I'm pretty sure something is vibrating on the inside of the guitar just not sure what.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:19 AM

Alright guys I figured it out. I know I said the tuning keys were tight, but I was doing some more tap tests on the guitar and heard a slight noise when I directly tapped the tuner, so I tightened them even more and the buzz is gone. When I say I tightened them I mean really tightened, they are significantly more stiff than all my other guitars' tuning keys. They are tight to the point where if I want to restring I have to loosen them just so I can use a string winder. The buzz is not completely gone and neither are the overtones, but its much less significant now and way more tolerable to me.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:13 AM

Default Rattle

It might be your truss rod. Sometimes if they're a little loose they can rattle . It could also be damaged or flawed. If a 1/2 turn or so tweak (tighter) doesn't do it you might have a serious problem.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:33 AM

Default tuners

Also be sure to check the ring nuts on each tuner post (the ones right underneath the string windings). Be sure to loosen each string before you tighten the nut.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:41 AM

I'd certainly tighten the truss rod a little, that's too much relief. That will lower the action and may increase the buzzing(unless it's the truss rod). You may need to raise the saddle some to get the action back up to where it was.
et al

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair