The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-24-2018, 02:57 PM

Default fret buzz has me stumped

I have a seagull coastline grand parlor guitar and it seems to buzz all over the fretboard. Right now it has .010 relief on the neck and 7/64 action at the 12th fret. I feel like these specs are high enough so that there shouldn't be any buzz but there is. I sighted the neck and it doesn't look twisted or warped, i tightened all the tuning keys so its not those rattling, and there are no electronics on the inside to possibly rattle. I have also done some tapping on the body listening for a loose brace and I hear nothing. I hear a small buzz on every note I play on all the wound strings and some specific notes have a loud metallic overtone (7th Fret Low E string, 10th Fret D string.) The only thing I see that could cause all this is how small the frets are. They are significantly smaller than any other acoustic I have played and I think they might be breaking at too shallow of an angle causing all this buzzing.

Here is a picture of the frets: https://prnt.sc/lmjaqg
Old 11-24-2018, 03:22 PM

Hi superzeldabros, to me that looks like a very high action.
How and why do you mean the size of the frets will be of importance for the buzzing?
Did you check all over the fretboard with a straightedge?
Old 11-24-2018, 03:26 PM

Maybe one of the string balls is not well seated? Have tried a new set of strings?
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-24-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Maybe one of the string balls is not well seated? Have tried a new set of strings?
Yeah I've changed strings few times still have the problem.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henning View Post
Hi superzeldabros, to me that looks like a very high action.
How and why do you mean the size of the frets will be of importance for the buzzing?
Did you check all over the fretboard with a straightedge?
1. The action is just a hair above 6/64, I don't consider that high for an acoustic guitar ---> https://prnt.sc/lmk220

2. The small frets could maybe cause some buzz because the strings don't have a high enough break angle. It's kind of hard to explain. Sort of how if a saddle gets shaved too low the strings don't bend enough coming out of the bridge and it can cause buzzing. The small frets was just a theory because it seems like nothing else should cause the buzzing.

3. I used my string action ruler like a fret rocker to see if any frets weren't level and they were fine. Unfortunately i don't have a long enough straight edge to lay on my neck or a proper fret rocker.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:27 PM

Here is an audio clip of the buzz/overtones. It doesn't sound like normal fret buzz it's more subtle. Am I just being too pedantic and obsessive or is this actually a problem?
https://soundcloud.com/jaren-six/buzz-sound/s-gCKtT
Old 11-24-2018, 05:03 PM

I don't hear a problem. I am doing playback through speakers.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-24-2018, 05:29 PM

I don't hear a problem either, even when listening with Sony MDR 7506 headphones. I mention the headphone model because these accentuate high frequencies a lot.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:41 PM

6/64 I would classify, as a nice low action for an acoustic guitar, listening to the sound clip, I hear no fretbuzz.

My ideal setup when working with a customer is to lower an action where they personally can hear buzz, but no buzz is being picked up by the amp, this is the lowest action I can set on their guitar with their playing style, typically we raise it a smidgen from this point for their own audible comfort

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-24-2018, 07:41 PM

Based on the recording, what I think I hear are the notes being over-played. My guess is that the parlour is a short-scale, one that isn't very responsive. In order to get "more" out of it, you are plucking/striking the strings to the point that they buzz. Does plucking them less aggressively reduce or eliminate the buzzing you hear?
Old 11-25-2018, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superzeldabros View Post
I have a seagull coastline grand parlor guitar and it seems to buzz all over the fretboard. Right now it has .010 relief on the neck and 7/64 action at the 12th fret. I feel like these specs are high enough so that there shouldn't be any buzz but there is. I sighted the neck and it doesn't look twisted or warped, i tightened all the tuning keys so its not those rattling, and there are no electronics on the inside to possibly rattle. I have also done some tapping on the body listening for a loose brace and I hear nothing. I hear a small buzz on every note I play on all the wound strings and some specific notes have a loud metallic overtone (7th Fret Low E string, 10th Fret D string.) The only thing I see that could cause all this is how small the frets are. They are significantly smaller than any other acoustic I have played and I think they might be breaking at too shallow of an angle causing all this buzzing.

Hi, you have described a near identical issue with two of my Collings guitars, my oldest (98) dreadnaught and my (03) 000 both of which I would have thought would have "settled" by now.

Due ti illness - I haven't played them much over the past 18 months and they might have become a little dry but nothing extreme.

After loads of investigation, and a regret on the dread the problem persists so they are now with the only Collings recommended tech in the UK who has decided to "PLEK" them both and then recheck.

I think it must be about the woods moving slightly but it is a mystery.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superzeldabros View Post

Are those medium gauge strings? Is it possible the guitar is telling you it wants something lighter?
Old 11-25-2018, 10:35 AM

Sounds like you have something loose and rattling - pickup jack, loose string ball under bridge - that sort of thing.

Frank Ford

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-25-2018 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Edited content
Old 11-25-2018, 02:06 PM

I can hear what you describe in the sound clip. I have the same issue but only in the high E and B. I have tried everything. Lower action, higher action. More relief, less relief. Different strings. Fret leveling etc, etc. It's got me stumped to the point I try and ignore it.

I'm blaming it on either my technique or my bad ears. I also hear distortion but my ears do that. Hearing loss in nut shell. Likely not your problem though.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 11-25-2018, 06:40 PM

Oh Crap!! I have the same issue I just posted a post on it, no soundclip though. Crap, others are having the same issue. Scary hearing about this on a Collings. Wow, scary!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair