The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-17-2018, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Baggs Element issue

Hey folks,
I'll try to make this as short as possible. I bought a Gibson J-29 from a store through Reverb. When it arrived, the electronics (LR Baggs Element) didn't work. I tested the cable/amp setup with my J-45 and it worked so I assume the problem is with the J-29. The preamp was removed to check for loose connections and there are none. I contacted the vendor and eventually sent it back for their tech to look at it. He said the electronics work so they returned the guitar to me. It arrived today and the electronics still don't work. I've requested a refund but in the meantime, I wanted to get some input on the possible source of the problem.

When I plug the cable into an amp and then the guitar, there is the normal popping as if there is a signal (this sequence was intentional to test for signal). But there is no sound coming from the guitar. I am not a tech and don't know about electronics so my description is the best I can do. Any clues as to what the issue may be? Thanks.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

Maybe check the battery, could be that and it is easy. Not sure how it would work for them unless they tried the same which would be weire
Old 12-18-2018, 05:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsarev View Post
Hey folks,
I'll try to make this as short as possible. I bought a Gibson J-29 from a store through Reverb. When it arrived, the electronics (LR Baggs Element) didn't work. I tested the cable/amp setup with my J-45 and it worked so I assume the problem is with the J-29. The preamp was removed to check for loose connections and there are none. I contacted the vendor and eventually sent it back for their tech to look at it. He said the electronics work so they returned the guitar to me. It arrived today and the electronics still don't work. I've requested a refund but in the meantime, I wanted to get some input on the possible source of the problem.

When I plug the cable into an amp and then the guitar, there is the normal popping as if there is a signal (this sequence was intentional to test for signal). But there is no sound coming from the guitar. I am not a tech and don't know about electronics so my description is the best I can do. Any clues as to what the issue may be? Thanks.
Take a very close look at the input jack area.

The threaded 'tube' where you insert the guitar cable may not be protruding past the 'beauty washer' (where the strap attaches).

In fact the ultimate test of whether or not this is the issue is simply removing it ( the strap washer) altogether.

If it works after doing that it is simply a matter of loosening the whole unit, unscrewing the inside cover & nut JUST A BIT, and then retightening the whole thing via the outside nut.

Of course this will allow the inner tube to protrude more, thus allow your jack to make perfect contact.

So if this 'fix' works, what happened? Why did the tech not detect a problem? A very simple matter of the profile of certain 1/4" male jack covers.

Some are beveled a bit so that they will get past the flat area of the strap washer, and 'sink' below the surface, thus assuring contact.

If none of this works, however, never mind........

HE
Old 12-18-2018, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Howard and Shaneh for your replies. I have isolated the issue. It's in the element itself where it bends to go into the bridge under the saddle. I haven't had time to explore further but I think it's repairable.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

The under saddle element appears to have a short in it right where it bends when entering the bridge. Tapping on the element behind the bend produces a strong signal. Past the bend, it's very weak. I reinstalled it, strung it up and brought to pitch. There is some sound but very weak (I had the system up to the max so it should have blown me out of the room).

Can the element be repaired or replaced?
Old 12-18-2018, 12:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsarev View Post
The under saddle element appears to have a short in it right where it bends when entering the bridge. Tapping on the element behind the bend produces a strong signal. Past the bend, it's very weak. I reinstalled it, strung it up and brought to pitch. There is some sound but very weak (I had the system up to the max so it should have blown me out of the room).

Can the element be repaired or replaced?
If that was a new guitar it should be covered, and aside from that the LR Baggs people are wonderful to work with.

Repair on a bridge transducer is not going to happen. Get in touch with the store if you need an 'interface' with LR Baggs.

If their not helpful just get in touch with Baggs directly and tell them what's happening.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 12-18-2018, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Thanks again, Howard. It's a used guitar. I returned it to the seller but they said nothing was wrong (I question how well they tested it) and sent it back to me (on their dime). We have been communicating so we'll see how this plays out.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:18 PM

That's such an inexpensive part. I would just replace it. You've already had it apart so you know how it works. Or any LR Baggs dealer could swap it out for you.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
That's such an inexpensive part. I would just replace it. You've already had it apart so you know how it works. Or any LR Baggs dealer could swap it out for you.
That's an option but the seller needs to step up and refund the amount to replace or repair it. I bought it with the understanding that everything was in working order. I'm waiting for their reply. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:59 AM

Default volume dial

I had that happen on my 2011 j45. It turns out there was a short on the wire connection right up next to the little volume wheel on the soundhole.
I now have the anthem SL (it went right in on the same footprints, and spotting the mic was very easy).
It just takes a tweak of the small adjuster to find the sweetspot and the sound is awesome!
I'm very pleased with the upgrade, but still miffed that neither Gibson nor Baggs would compensate for the breakdown via the element volume dial.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

The saga has ended. The transducer has a short in it. Baggs will repair it for $35. The seller will take care of the repair.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair