The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-11-2023, 04:46 PM

Default Emerald X7 V2 vs V3?

I seen several references to the V3 being "slightly bigger" than the V2. Can anybody point me to specs comparing the two models, and/or sound comparisons?
Thanks
Old 03-12-2023, 01:53 AM

X7 2018+ new version
34.3 x 14.2 x 4.5 x 18 @24 @ 1 3/4 @ 3.85 lbs

X7 2018 (previous version) discontinued
34 x 13.4 x 3.7 x 16.5 @24

From page 8 of this list (that will get updated sometime soon):
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...ght=Dimensions

Cheers
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany
Old 03-12-2023, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

I asked exactly the same question a few years ago and got some excellent responses:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=538768
note, at some points in the thread the series 2 is referred to as the series 1, and the series 3 is referred to as the series 2, just be aware that the older one is the one you are referring to as the series 2 and the newer one is the current model.
I ended up getting a series 2 which I liked very much until the 24" scale seemed to be holding me back vs my other guitars - just a matter of muscle memory, so I recently passed it on.
Old 03-16-2023, 12:18 PM

Default Thanks folks

Interesting stuff. With the significant enlargement of the body on the V3 X7, I would expect a bigger sound as well? I convinced myself that I would prefer a V3 over a V2, since it would replace a Taylor gs-mini and GC. The sound of the GC is quite rich for a small guitar.
I'd be keen to hear any sound evaluations from folks who have played/heard both.
Note, I rarely plug in, and play fingers only, so mostly a light touch.
Tnx
Old 03-16-2023, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwandsh View Post
Interesting stuff. With the significant enlargement of the body on the V3 X7, I would expect a bigger sound as well? I convinced myself that I would prefer a V3 over a V2, since it would replace a Taylor gs-mini and GC. The sound of the GC is quite rich for a small guitar.
I'd be keen to hear any sound evaluations from folks who have played/heard both.
Note, I rarely plug in, and play fingers only, so mostly a light touch.
Tnx
I recently sold a GC, 522ce 12-fret. The all mahogany guitar has a warm sound. I like the tone and feel better on my X7 (v2). When Emerald updated the X7 in 2018, I was deciding between the X7 and the X10... since I really enjoy my previous gen X7, I decided to go for the X10 (level 2, with a shorter scale, 24.6"). I am still happy with that decision. The X7 v3 is bigger in depth and body size than the v2. The "up and out" soundhole is a nice upgrade. The X7 is just surprisingly good in both tone and volume. Replacing a GSmini and a Grand Concert, I think you'll find the X7 v3 covers both of those sizes in a more comfortable form.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:43 AM

Ok, and while I recognize tone is somewhat subjective, anybody have personal experience with both an Emerald V3 and McPherson Touring? Same deal, unplugged and fingerstyle...
Tnx
Old 03-19-2023, 10:45 AM

Ok, and while I recognize tone is somewhat subjective, anybody have personal experience with both an Emerald X7 V3 and McPherson Touring? Same deal, unplugged and fingerstyle...
Tnx
Old 03-21-2023, 11:01 AM

I have an older X7-OS from back when there was also the center sound hole version available - so would mine be version 1.5? Anyway, I did get to play a V3, and was very impressed by the improvement in sound. But at the same time, the V3 just didn't feel like a small Parlor-sized guitar to me, which was what attracted me to the X7-OS in the first place. So while the V3 certainly sounds better, I still prefer the smaller size as being more "user friendly" for travel or couch playing.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Christens View Post
I have an older X7-OS from back when there was also the center sound hole version available - so would mine be version 1.5? Anyway, I did get to play a V3, and was very impressed by the improvement in sound. But at the same time, the V3 just didn't feel like a small Parlor-sized guitar to me, which was what attracted me to the X7-OS in the first place. So while the V3 certainly sounds better, I still prefer the smaller size as being more "user friendly" for travel or couch playing.
I completely agree. My X7 v2 (offset soundhole, facing forward) is far and away the most comfortable acoustic guitar I've played. While the latest generation may have a richer tone, I don't see a time when I will give up this delightful guitar. Size and comfort matters. And as far as tone/volume: I was playing with a group of 4 guys (friends of my long-time music partner's) last week, and the X7 held up just fine with a Martin and a Taylor GC.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber