The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-05-2023, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
I agree to a point... IMHO is much to do about nothing... (a simple turn of the tone knob adjusts the minor differences). For me it is more about the feel ... glossy I find is a faster neck... and look :-). A blond tele would look funny with rosewood neck while a burst tele or black looks great !
Glossy vs satin on the back of the neck I understand. I still don’t get the fretboard finish or material ‘feel’ thing - but, like so many things guitar-related, it’s not worth arguing about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
No one would admit it, but secretly it is about looks.

Edit: Cross posted. As I was typing Fixedgear60 courageously admitted the looks argument.
I strongly suspect that you are both correct
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-05-2023, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
I can feel the difference between different woods on fingerboards.

Carbon fiber fingerboards feel like ebony to me. I prefer ebony on wood guitars, so for me there is no tradeoff.

Do we need to start a new thread on: "Which composite material feels most like wood?"

(Yes, I know: back in my corner.)
Old 03-05-2023, 09:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks all. Being that this is the Carbon Fiber subform, I was sort of expecting most of the answers to be along these general lines. But I still am surprised that there seems not to be even a token presence of fingerboard traditionalists weighing in here.

Richlite! I was thinking carbon/epoxy vs traditional wood; I had forgotten about Richlite. And Aristides guitars! Wow. I'd never heard of them but they look beautifully designed and built. Who'd've suspected I'd learn about these magnificent electric guitars on the Acoustic Guitar Forum?

OK, followup question: If you're generally onboard with carbon fiber fingerboards either feeling no different from wood, or fingerboard material being not relevant in a tactile sense while playing, have you always been this way? Or did you evolve from having more specific preferences in a past musical life?

And a bonus question: If a carbon fiber fingerboard has the standard carbon fabric twill weave surface appearance, what do you think about "inlay" markers? Don't need'em, shouldn't be there? They should be there and oh-so-fancy? Dots are fine? D:None of the above?

Thanks!

Steve B.
Softride Rocket
Trek Y-Foil
Old 03-05-2023, 10:12 PM

I've always been fingerboard-agnostic. I have always had so many guitars, both electric and acoustic, with all sorts of fingerboards, it was never something I thought about. Ebony, rosewood, maple, carbon fiber, unknown (and probably inexpensive) woods... all the same to me. Been that way since day one; the only difference, as noted, was the look.

As for inlays, again, on the fingerboard they are pretty much for looks. I have some with plain dots, some with bars, one with inlays I designed myself, and I tracked down this era Gibson L7 precisely because of the inlays:

However, they're all the same to my fingers. Good inlays shouldn't be able to be felt.

The side dots, however, are a different story. I do have a classical without them, and you can learn, but I also have a CF guitar (Composite Acoustics GX) where they were practically invisible in low light, so I had a tech install larger, brighter side dots on that one.
Old 03-06-2023, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Except my most recent Taylor has "streaked ebony" so they aren't necessarily solid black anymore.
My 1999 Larrivee parlor has streaked ebony as well. Just Bob catching up to what Jean was doing decades ago and adding his typical marketing spin.

But, i agree with your earlier statement. My fingers are on the strings, I can't feel the difference between Ebony, Rosewood, Morado, micarta, or and whatever is on my Rainsongs.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-06-2023, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFL Steve View Post
And a bonus question: If a carbon fiber fingerboard has the standard carbon fabric twill weave surface appearance, what do you think about "inlay" markers? Don't need'em, shouldn't be there? They should be there and oh-so-fancy? Dots are fine? D:None of the above?

Steve B.
I don't understand fretboard markers at all. It's not like I can see them when holding a guitar. I suppose they are nice for the guitar players in the audience.

Side markers, I used those. But I certainly can't see the actual fretboard while playing. So my preference is either highly decorative or plain. A single fancy marker at the 12th fret can look very classy.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-06-2023, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
I don't understand fretboard markers at all. It's not like I can see them when holding a guitar. I suppose they are nice for the guitar players in the audience.

Side markers, I used those. But I certainly can't see the actual fretboard while playing. So my preference is either highly decorative or plain. A single fancy marker at the 12th fret can look very classy.
Pretty much exactly what I was going to write. I do like having the side markers.

I did specify silver rings as markers for my Amicus, but that was entirely cosmetic - as I purchased that instrument with some of my inheritance from my mother, I wanted to make it a bit more special.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-06-2023, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Fretboard material, wood or carbon, has never been very important to me. I just don't notice it while playing.

Re fretboard markers, if I were to play standing up I wouldn't be able to see the markers. But I always play seated, so I can, and often do see the fretboard. I find the markers helpful when I'm learning a new tune. Dots are fine. For me, anything more is just for appearance (I had the Celtic knots put on my X-20 because I like the look).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFL Steve View Post
...OK, followup question: If you're generally onboard with carbon fiber fingerboards either feeling no different from wood, or fingerboard material being not relevant in a tactile sense while playing, have you always been this way? Or did you evolve from having more specific preferences in a past musical life?

And a bonus question: If a carbon fiber fingerboard has the standard carbon fabric twill weave surface appearance, what do you think about "inlay" markers? Don't need'em, shouldn't be there? They should be there and oh-so-fancy? Dots are fine? D:None of the above?...
Old 03-06-2023, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

I use side fret board markers to help when making large moves up and down the fretboard. I also opted for the inlay Celtic knots on my x20 but they are purely decorative for when myself and others are looking at the guitar from the front.

As to material, I have wood richlite carbon and other materials and the shape and size is significant to me the material I don't notice.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

I play seated and, due to really bad form, I can clearly see the fretboard. I use inlay to help find my way around the neck.

Last edited by K20C; 03-06-2023 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20C View Post
I play seated and, due to really bad form, I can clearly see the fretboard. I use inlay to help find my way around the neck.
Don't feel bad. Carl Miner obviously uses 'em too

c.jpg
Old 03-07-2023, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Don't feel bad. Carl Miner obviously uses 'em too

Attachment 88660
Then, why can’t I play like him!?
Old 03-07-2023, 09:36 AM

Default Wood Chucks

This thread reminds me of a Discussion Page with which some of you may be familiar. It was mainly about electric guitars, with an original accent on the products of a certain American manufacturer. Privately originated, and only marginally "supported" by the actual manufacturer, the site eventually went under because of a general lack of interest. Or was it lack of heavily encouraged but mostly avoided voluntary contributions? No matter, the guy who owned the site was highly opinionated and put users off.

He had some users that actually worked for the manufacturer. Whenever a debate began to rage about obscure topics, such as whether ebony feels different than rosewood, etc., there was one employee who would post and refer to the debaters as "wood chucks." Well, we got wood chucks here too, Mr. electric guitar manufacturer. They're the same everywhere.

As Frank Zappa once opined: "Shut up and play yer guitar."
Old 03-07-2023, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

^^^

I have no idea what you’re talking about.
Old 03-10-2023, 01:05 AM

Sorry to be obscure. Often the tortured debates on this forum about different woods, scale lengths, bridge pins, and construction methods seem rather obscure to me. I just want to learn to play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber