The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-06-2022, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald Jumbo vs Rainsong Jumbo

One is on display in my study and one lives in the darkness of my closet. But... it's not what you might think. They are both excellent. If I closed my eyes and an pro guitarist played each, I am not sure I could tell the difference. But blindfold me and hand me one guitar, I could identify it accurately after the first pluck.

The Rainsong is super responsive and is loud with a light touch. The Emerald can be loud but needs much more effort and coaxing. It is a really pronounced difference. They are strung with the same brand and gauge of strings. This might be less noticeable plugged in but I only play acoustically

I can't say one is better than the other and this is just a personal observation with which others might not agree.

The Emerald is a thing of beauty; like a modern sculpture. It is a work of art. The Rainsong looks like a plastic guitar with turquois inlay but it plays and sounds heavenly. They each get played but the Emerald stays on display while the Rainsong naps in the closet. Good looks aren't everything but they DO get you looked at.
Old 11-06-2022, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Yep, completely agree with your assessment. Nothing looks cooler and gets more interest and comments than a custom Emerald woody which is why I've owned 5 of them including a time when I owned 3 at once and nothing else. They looked great on my wall and were SO comfortable to play.

Conversely, RainSong guitars are super responsive acoustically and amplify as good as any guitar I've owned. But the looks and ergonomics are not nearly as impressive as the Emeralds. That said, the RainSong's are displayed on my wall while the Emeralds are now displayed on someone else's wall.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmargul View Post
One is on display in my study and one lives in the darkness of my closet. But... it's not what you might think. They are both excellent. If I closed my eyes and an pro guitarist played each, I am not sure I could tell the difference. But blindfold me and hand me one guitar, I could identify it accurately after the first pluck.

The Rainsong is super responsive and is loud with a light touch. The Emerald can be loud but needs much more effort and coaxing. It is a really pronounced difference. They are strung with the same brand and gauge of strings. This might be less noticeable plugged in but I only play acoustically

I can't say one is better than the other and this is just a personal observation with which others might not agree.

The Emerald is a thing of beauty; like a modern sculpture. It is a work of art. The Rainsong looks like a plastic guitar with turquois inlay but it plays and sounds heavenly. They each get played but the Emerald stays on display while the Rainsong naps in the closet. Good looks aren't everything but they DO get you looked at.

I like both of mine. RainSong Jumbo and X30. However my RainSong is the one that I pick up to play more often, and the one I like to play at church when I'm on. I find the RainSongs output to be the most balanced, and much easier to play, but I don't like the piezo sound as much The X30 is very boomy, but the onboard preamp I installed makes it better. I do like the mic sound though!
Weighs over a pound more than the RainSong though, and still, I find it more difficult to play properly. Especially barre chords. When I have the action low enough, it buzzes, so I have the action higher, which makes playing it much more difficult.

Love them both though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 130967152_10222870844092365_5016540745869626401_o.jpg (34.5 KB, 359 views)
Old 11-07-2022, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmargul View Post
The Rainsong is super responsive and is loud with a light touch. The Emerald can be loud but needs much more effort and coaxing.
This is my experience, as well. Rainsongs seem to sing out at the merest whisper of a pluck or strum, while my Emeralds need a much sterner talking to before they're ready to come out and play. (That said, though, I play my X20 95% of the time -- it sounds great and is sooooo comfortable.)
Old 11-07-2022, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

I've owned both, and as beautiful and comfortable as the X30 is, I preferred the more restrained - should I say balanced - tone of the Rainsong....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-07-2022, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

The low E string of the Emerald is way more potent than on any other guitar I own. The first five strings, beautiful and balanced. If I am not careful, the low E overpowers everything else. My Rainsong H-OM sounds warm and rich, and is delightfully balanced across all the strings. The Emerald hangs in the living room because it looks beautiful. The Rainsong gets played because it sounds beautiful.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-08-2022, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

I owned a Rainsong jumbo years ago and also owned an X30.

The Rainsong sounded great but was just uncomfortable for me to hold. she was just too large/deep and the sharp edges didn't help.

The X30 was a beautiful instrument and is the only jumbo I ever owned that felt good in my lap! It was very inviting to pick up! as others have said though, the low e was boomy and it just didn't work for me sound wise. It's a shame because it just felt right!
Old 11-09-2022, 12:12 PM

I had both. The Rainsong Jumbo is more balanced. The X30 has a low E that overwhelms the other strings. A great guitar dor strumming but, in my opinion, not for fingerstyle.
Old 03-20-2023, 06:36 AM

Found this thread on a search of carbon jumbos. I had a real heavy carbon phase several years ago and must have gone through 6 carbon guitars. Only one I have kept is a Rainsong BI JM1000 and an Emerald Doubleneck. Have gone back to wood guitars for a while and recently picked up my Rainsong. Wow it is impressive, I like the J200 look as that is my favorite guitar look, period. Neck and fingering is absolutely perfect so easy to play. Glad to see the above discussion would indicate that I kept the right one and probably no need to seek an improvement?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-31-2023, 07:17 AM

I am continuing to just be amazed at my Rainsong BI JM1000. I put extra light PB strings on it and the sound and responsiveness is just amazing. Palm muted flat picking just rings like a bell, crazy. I own an Emerald, they have become masters of using veneers to enhance the look of their guitars. Seems most of them on the monthly delivery video are decked out. Nothing against this but seems to me many buyers are using their eyes and not their ears?
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 03-31-2023, 07:32 AM

I have played two RainSong Nashville Jumbos and I can say I was very disappointed. Extremely quiet guitars for a jumbo. It did not meet my expectations.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I have played two RainSong Nashville Jumbos and I can say I was very disappointed. Extremely quiet guitars for a jumbo. It did not meet my expectations.
Why did you choose the wood fused top? Seems carbon guitar makers to reach a larger audience put wood on the top. Hard to believe it really helps the sound? My BI JM1000 is loud?
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 03-31-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Why did you choose the wood fused top? Seems carbon guitar makers to reach a larger audience put wood on the top. Hard to believe it really helps the sound? My BI JM1000 is loud?

I didn’t purchase either. They were available in the local store to play. Just wanted to chime in for the OP that even though I thought they looked great and were interested, it did not meet expectations. And one was one a fluke, evidently.
Old 03-31-2023, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

As long as we're chiming in for the OP, RainSong says their wood infused top makes for a warmer sound. Alistair at Emerald has said that the wood veneer they use makes no significant difference in the sound. May be a difference it construction technique or thickness of the veneer. RainSong uses a spruce veneer, which keeps the traditional look; Emerald has an amazing variety of woods and tints they use for their veneers... makes for a true one of a kind instrument. In a similar vein, RainSong's body shapes and sizes are traditional, where Emerald's are more non-traditional, with arm and rib bevels, the offset up-turned soundhole, and compound curves.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:20 PM

I'll chime in. Been playing a Rainsong jumbo (N1 neck) for 6 years now. I just got done playing and decided to peruse the forum and found this thread. Playing my Rainsong jumbo, it makes me smile every time I play it. I've played other folks' carbon fiber guitars and nothing I've played so far is as responsive and balanced as my Rainsong. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Yeah, it's kind of plain to look at but it's pleasure in the fingers and ears.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber