The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-31-2023, 11:38 AM

Default Kraut 00 owners…

Hey all,

I posted this question in the general forum and it was suggested to move over here, so my apologies.

I asked Ray and cannot find his response so I thought I’d ask here. For those with a Kraut 00, or experience therewith… do you use lights or mediums, string-wise?

I’m going to be doing general maintenance this week and I cannot find Ray’s reply to my email. Nor do I see any threads here. I don’t mean to get into a huge debate about string gauge etc. I think I’ve been using 12s. No issues.

Silly question.

Stuart

Collings DS2HMapA
Collings CL Dlx
Etc.
Bill Collings '78 Brazilian
Old 01-01-2024, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Smile Kraut 00

I'm good friends with Ray, and visited his old shop in Tucson (where we both live) weekly. He built a 00 for me, which is my most treasured guitar.

Even though Ray's guitars are extremely lightly built, he ships them with medium gauge strings. Although light, they are built extremely well and constructed with the best woods possible. If you don't mind playing with the increased string tension, you can certainly use medium gauge strings on your Kraut 00. Ray prefers the treble sound of his guitars with medium gauge strings, and keeps the tension under control by using a shorter scale length.

That being said, I had Ray set up my 00 for light gauge strings. I much prefer the playability and feel that the lower string tension of light gauge strings provides. My Kraut 00 sounds magnificent with light gauge strings.

If you do decide to switch to light gauge strings, you could possibly encounter light buzzing in some areas of the fretboard. A local, experienced guitar tech could fix this easily with a proper setup, that could involve a truss rod adjustment and/or raising the nut slightly.

Hope this helps.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut

Last edited by Cocobolo Kid; 01-01-2024 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 09:47 AM

As soon as I started reading what you wrote, I remembered Ray telling me the same thing. The strings on it now look heftier than lights. I don’t know why I couldn’t remember other than being old.

Thanks for the input!

Stuart

Collings DS2HMapA
Collings CL Dlx
Etc.
Bill Collings '78 Brazilian

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop