The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 03-31-2023, 11:35 AM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tropical Tip of Texas
Posts: 6,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaemc2 View Post
That's fantastic Jim! Yeah, I enjoyed riding motorcycles for a long time too, but I live in a large city and got scared on a busy freeway about 15 years ago so gave it up. I owned a Yamaha VMax and loved it!
A Vmax!? For those that don't know, that is part motorcycle, part rocket. It is the bike that started the "muscle cruiser" category.

It took me a while to get back into riding on the busy Interstate and freeways here in the Phoenix area this year. My music partner Mark lives almost 40 miles from the RV park we are in at the far west end of the Valley. I got bike time on the way to and from his place, but it wasn't what I'd call "mind clearing," which is generally a part of the riding I enjoy.

My wife has always enjoyed fast bikes, I have been more of a cruiser type (9 Harleys, 4 Goldwings, a couple BMWs, and others... I have owned more motorcycles than guitars over the years). I enjoy cruising through the twisties, the reason we have spent several months in the Black Hills the last few years. And always a guitar or two with us.
__________________
Some CF, some wood.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-31-2023, 01:11 PM
dgaemc2 dgaemc2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
A Vmax!? For those that don't know, that is part motorcycle, part rocket. It is the bike that started the "muscle cruiser" category.

It took me a while to get back into riding on the busy Interstate and freeways here in the Phoenix area this year. My music partner Mark lives almost 40 miles from the RV park we are in at the far west end of the Valley. I got bike time on the way to and from his place, but it wasn't what I'd call "mind clearing," which is generally a part of the riding I enjoy.

My wife has always enjoyed fast bikes, I have been more of a cruiser type (9 Harleys, 4 Goldwings, a couple BMWs, and others... I have owned more motorcycles than guitars over the years). I enjoy cruising through the twisties, the reason we have spent several months in the Black Hills the last few years. And always a guitar or two with us.
Yes, the VMax was a beast! Ironically it's incredible acceleration got me out of a very dangerous situation. Still it shook me up enough to sell for good!
If I ever live in an area where I can enjoy a peaceful ride like you do, I might buy a real cruiser (without the rocket) down the line.

Great story, it sounds like we have similar passions. I have had a total of 3 motorcycles in my life, but had them from the age of 15 through 42!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-31-2023, 03:21 PM
DCCougar DCCougar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 2,757
Default

Well, that was a kick! And quite the video production! I'm just starting to get into video, so I can appreciate all that!
__________________
Cougar's Soundcloud page
2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst
2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Sunburst
2018 Gibson Songwriter Rosewood Burst Ltd. Ed. 12-string
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT

1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-31-2023, 04:55 PM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tropical Tip of Texas
Posts: 6,786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Well, that was a kick! And quite the video production! I'm just starting to get into video, so I can appreciate all that!
Thanks, DC. I did some video production back in the 80s... things have changed a whole lot since then. It's significantly less tedious now. And no shoulder mounted video cameras and belt packs for the batteries. An iPhone on a handle or gimbal and a 360 camera... and then some patience to wade through it. I coached Mark's wife on how to hold the 360 camera, then told her: "Just walk around; shoot 20 second clips - I'll look at the footage afterwards and decide what angle to use." She wasn't sure about that.

Mark really enjoys the technical stuff with a DAW - I am content with my Spire Studio (up to 8 tracks). So, he does the music production, I do the video production. A good division of labor. That first video we did (right at the start of the lockdowns of the pandemic) was his idea... he said, "As long as you tell us what to do for the video." Before that, we did quite a few audio recordings... I think the personalities come out more with a video.

I know younger tech oriented people might knock out something like this in short order. With the shooting, downloading, editing, then more editing, syncing it with the audio, putting in titles and transitions, then uploading... I'm guessing I have about 15 - 20 hours into it. I work on it a couple hours a day, when I feel like it. Mark is similar with the music production - I can have 4 or 5 tracks to him in a day, then he'll spend a bunch more time adding his parts, putting it together, mixing, tweaking the mix. You could easily work it to death, but we're doing this for the fun of it.

I'm already missing making music with Mark and the guys... but, we hit the road tomorrow.
__________________
Some CF, some wood.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-04-2023, 08:23 PM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tropical Tip of Texas
Posts: 6,786
Default

Home again! A lot of "moving back in" stuff for the next couple days, but I did take a few minutes to pick up a guitar (OK, two guitars) and play a couple songs for Joan and Rufus (the big furry boy likes his music).

I left the X10 and the X20 on the wall in my music room while we were gone (I usually put all the guitars away)... they were both in tune... 2 months later. Gotta appreciate carbon fiber.
__________________
Some CF, some wood.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-05-2023, 04:41 PM
dgaemc2 dgaemc2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 691
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Home again! A lot of "moving back in" stuff for the next couple days, but I did take a few minutes to pick up a guitar (OK, two guitars) and play a couple songs for Joan and Rufus (the big furry boy likes his music).

I left the X10 and the X20 on the wall in my music room while we were gone (I usually put all the guitars away)... they were both in tune... 2 months later. Gotta appreciate carbon fiber.
Welcome back CJ!

Yeah, my Emeralds stay in tune better than any other guitars I have owned!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-14-2023, 09:42 PM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tropical Tip of Texas
Posts: 6,786
Default

While riding my bicycle this morning, I was watching an Emerald video (well, more listening to it through AirPods, and occasionally glancing at the phone)... the video was about the Virtuo, and in it, Davy said he was using "electric strings" on that guitar. The plugged in tone was nice. This evening, after getting a bunch of stuff done around the house, I needed a break, and decided to put some new strings on my X10... wanted to try some electrics. Going through my string stash, I pulled out a set of Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalt 9-46. I haven't put anything that light on an acoustic in decades. It is early, but I was pleasantly surprised at the plugged in tone, both with an acoustic setting and some higher gain electric. Certainly requires a lighter touch. I think I like it! I'll need to spend more time with it plugged in. A bit quieter (as expected) unplugged, but still a nice balance.

You guys probably already knew this... but, old dog and new tricks for me.
__________________
Some CF, some wood.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=