The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-28-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
The edge burst is a $545 upgrade so I didn't choose that. But I've done my own burst on 2 guitars in the past, so I might go that route here.

Here's my 1957 J50 with a slight edge burst.

It's a Re-Ranch nitro cellulose tobacco sunburst spray I used.

Mad skills- seriously! I say do it for you! Do it for us!! Do it even if you don’t bond and charge what Blackbird does for the finish and then sell it!!! Your Gibson looks really good and I would never have guessed that isn’t a factory finish.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Thanks. That one I masked off everything and sprayed the newspaper around the edge with the finish. Only a dusting fell on the guitar. My GS-mini was my first spray job and it was much more direct.

There is one boo-boo on the GS mini, but you need it to be in direct light reflection to see it.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
My GS-mini was my first spray job and it was much more direct.

There is one boo-boo on the GS mini, but you need it to be in direct light reflection to see it.
The Mini looks great too. It’s cool to see another that does DIY customs. I’ve finished and refinished a couple cheap guitars; a D Jr and an OF660. The Martin was sold to a happy owner and I still have the OF660.
Old 04-06-2023, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Thanks.

Recently I did some e-surfing. And I found there are no new guitars or ukes available in any Blackbird dealers. I also googled "ekoa" and found a sister company is expanding use of this material into Architectural building materials and automotive interiors markets. So, I was surmising Blackbird might be taking time away from the music market to launch these other uses. I emailed them. And they sent a very nice detailed note back saying they are very much committed to fine lutherie and musical instruments, and that my guitar is in the que.

Interesting. I wish them well in all their endeavors. And I still look forward to getting the new Blackbird Savoy when it is completed in a few months.
Old 04-07-2023, 06:24 AM

I really like the Savoy .. and I was at the Carbon Fiber Fest at my place too with the Captain … just sayin’
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-08-2023, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Glad to hear, krammie.

Hope you're doing well.
Old 04-08-2023, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I really like the Savoy .. and I was at the Carbon Fiber Fest at my place too with the Captain … just sayin’
I mostly remember that...

Yours truly playing a Savoy...

With Earl, Alice, and the artist formerly known as Kramster.
Old 04-13-2023, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I mostly remember that...

Yours truly playing a Savoy...

With Earl, Alice, and the artist formerly known as Kramster.
In my wee condo at the time .. on the wall behind me is a caricature of me playing the CA Blade electric guitar
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-13-2023, 03:00 PM

That was a fun gathering. Nine players from the forum made it along with about 20 CF instruments, many from Kramster's collection. Everyone brought something. We covered most of the models and manufacturers at the time (2018). It was also really nice to meet forum names in person, most of whom we have kept in touch with. And don't forget the ubiquitous Gumby that I am holding.... Gumby appeared in most Kramster photos and many videos.
Old 04-15-2023, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
That was a fun gathering. Nine players from the forum made it along with about 20 CF instruments, many from Kramster's collection. Everyone brought something. We covered most of the models and manufacturers at the time (2018). It was also really nice to meet forum names in person, most of whom we have kept in touch with. And don't forget the ubiquitous Gumby that I am holding.... Gumby appeared in most Kramster photos and many videos.

We were just kids then.
Old 04-15-2023, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
We were just kids then.
Some of us are still childish.
Old 04-15-2023, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Some of us are still childish.
Guilty as charged.

IMG_0263.jpg
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-16-2023, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Guilty as charged.

Attachment 90749
Ha… nice play… good to be guilty .. sometimes… a match green guitar in the back ground ..
Old 05-09-2023, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

I emailed Blackbird to see what's up and they responded with:

Your Savoy currently has the body built and is in line to the next phase of parts assembly. We unfortunately do not have a definite completion date for the Savoy, we are awaiting for the previous batch to complete first before we assemble the next batch of instruments. As the production line moves forward, we will update you on its progress.

So it looks like they have a batch in progress and some might be showing up in dealers relatively soon. And I'm happy we're making progress.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber