The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-10-2014, 02:33 PM

Default Godin Quantum I

i want to buy a seagull mini jumbo and have the option of having one with Q1 or one without PU. can anyone tell me how the sound of Q1 is? should i go for it or buy the one without PU and install one later. (i can't test drive them.) thank you.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmuz View Post
i want to buy a seagull mini jumbo and have the option of having one with Q1 or one without PU. can anyone tell me how the sound of Q1 is? should i go for it or buy the one without PU and install one later. (i can't test drive them.) thank you.
I have heard the Quantum many times and I'll tell you it is nothing special. It's just another cheap, factory installed, under-saddle pickup! Get the guitar without the pickup and put something decent in afterward. There are many options, however they will be considerably more expensive.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simondylan View Post
I have heard the Quantum many times and I'll tell you it is nothing special. It's just another cheap, factory installed, under-saddle pickup! Get the guitar without the pickup and put something decent in afterward. There are many options, however they will be considerably more expensive.
thank you very much for your response.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:35 PM

I have a Seagull Coastline Spruce with the Q1 pickup. I'd like to swap it out for a Q2 which has an internal microphone plus the undersaddle pickup. I think this would help get a more natural, woody tone. The Q1 is acceptable but does tend to produce a metallic quack, similar to a magnetic pickup. I haven't figured out how to get my hands on a Q2 without buying a different guitar.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:47 PM

The one thing to consider with Godin pickups is that they tend to have the side mounted eq controls which I personally hate. The pickup itself is fine and I wouldn't really call it cheap although it does have a much more piezo sound than most UST systems that I have tried. The version with the internal mic actually works quite well but I would still go the route of getting a guitar with no pickup.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:10 AM

thanks for the replies. i think i will get the one without Q1 and install something later.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:58 PM

IMHO, the Godin Q1 is a fine pickup system - they fit their lower-end models with B-Band electronics now, which some in the Seagull group in the Acoustic Guitar Community did not like. In terms of full disclosure, I run my Seagull Performer Q1 through a Roland AC-90 amp - IMHO, that amp could probably make a First Act or Esteban sound good, too...

My Walden N610CE (classical) with a Fishman Classic 4 also sounds good through the Roland - even my Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin II with 2 P90's...
Old 05-13-2014, 02:33 AM

Hi,

From my experience, Godin Q1 sounds way better than similar single source UST pickups on the market - Fishman Prefix/Presys/Matrix, L.R. Baggs Element, B.Band UST, Shadow Nanoflex.
To me, sound is fuller, richer an cuts better through.
Still, its piezo UST with it's all characteristics, but if I had such choice, I would take it for sure.
My another experience with Seagulls is, that K&K pure mini is not the best option for them - bridge plate under the soundboard is v e r y large, and amplified sound I got was a bit muddy...

Cheers,
Marek.

Last edited by Marek; 05-13-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:19 AM

thanks for the replies. maybe i will have a chance to play the one with the Q1. i think i will decide afterwards.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:29 AM

Wow - There are a lot of negative comments about the Quantum pickup system that are not in line with my own experience!

To the original poster: Don't believe anybody who says, "I've heard..." or think they know the pickup system because they took two minutes to do a Google search and don't like the looks of it. It is a great system.

I have played guitars with QI and owned a guitar with QII for years. The Quantum II was one of the best hybrid pickup systems I've ever used. It was always easy to quickly dial in great tone at any venue and the pickup system was one of the main reason the Seagull Artist became my "go-to" fingerstyle guitar for gigs. I gave that guitar to my daughter in favor of a Godin Multiac for live work, but it wasn't because of the Quantum pickup system!

I have never been disappointed with any Godin product and I'm sure you will be happy with the Quantum I. (It's just the Quantum II without the mic and blend controls.) Good luck.

Last edited by RoosterX; 05-13-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterX View Post
Wow - There are a lot of negative comments about the Quantum pickup system that are not in line with my own experience!

To the original poster: Don't believe anybody who says, "I've heard..." or think they know the pickup system because they took two minutes to do a Google search and don't like the looks of it. It is a great system.

I have played guitars with QI and owned a guitar with QII for years. The Quantum II was one of the best hybrid pickup systems I've ever used. It was always easy to quickly dial in great tone at any venue and the pickup system was one of the main reason the Seagull Artist became my "go-to" fingerstyle guitar for gigs. I gave that guitar to my daughter in favor of a Godin Multiac for live work, but it wasn't because of the Quantum pickup system!

I have never been disappointed with any Godin product and I'm sure you will be happy with the Quantum I. (It's just the Quantum II without the mic and blend controls.) Good luck.
To RoosterX. Everyone obviously has there own opinion but please understand that I didn't do any google search. I've played both versions of the Quantum, and run sound for other players who had the unfortunate luck of being convinced by either Godin or a salesman that the Quantum was something special, and so purchased it. It's harsh and in you face just like other UST's, and the mic is a very generic sounding mic. Even through a very high end PA I was never able to get a decent sound. 25 years of experience, specifically with acoustic guitars and pickups. I've had experience with nearly everything. It sounds like you are pretty much all Godin for what ever reason. I'm just trying to be helpful to a fellow player. Friends don't let friends, well you know!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
To RoosterX. Everyone obviously has there own opinion but please understand that I didn't do any google search. I've played both versions of the Quantum, and run sound for other players who had the unfortunate luck of being convinced by either Godin or a salesman that the Quantum was something special, and so purchased it. It's harsh and in you face just like other UST's, and the mic is a very generic sounding mic. Even through a very high end PA I was never able to get a decent sound. 25 years of experience, specifically with acoustic guitars and pickups. I've had experience with nearly everything. It sounds like you are pretty much all Godin for what ever reason. I'm just trying to be helpful to a fellow player. Friends don't let friends, well you know!
I agree, the Quantum is nothing special and IMO is one of the more Piezo sounding UST systems out there if that makes sense. For the price point it is a very nice package but even the Fishman Matrix or Lr Baggs element sound far better. It's all subjective and I am glad you like Godin because they are a fantastic company but having played a ton of pickups, the Quantum just doesn't stack up well.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I know you meant well, but you're not helping a fellow player make an *informed* decision because you're not informed. It's like you opining that a Nissan GTR is junk because you sat in one at a car show once. "I've heard a few" became "I've played a few" and really, how much experience can you have really had with this pickup system? My guess is almost none, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. The fact that you claim you were never able to get decent sound out of a Seagull may say more about your abilities at the board than it does about Godin. I've never heard or read anything negative about the electronics in a Godin instrument. That's kind of Godin's thing - the acoustic/electric/synth-access technology. I'm sure there are hundreds more, but check out a Youtube vid of a Seagull with QI/II - Do they sound awful to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTEY1BeYDV4 (QI)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXqOdiJySBM (QII at the end, Doug Young's review)

So, I am a fan of Godin products because they're a great value and perfect for gigging guitars that do what they're supposed to and sound amazing, (unless you're the soundguy . I'll also say I wish I had Quantum I or II pickups in my Taylors because both are miles better than any flavor of Taylor's ES, IMO.

In my opinion, the original poster should get the guitar with QI. It will cost him far more later to put in an aftermarket system that may or may not be as good.

Last edited by RoosterX; 05-13-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 05-14-2014, 04:31 AM

Quote:
I know you meant well, but you're not helping a fellow player make an *informed* decision because you're not informed. It's like you opining that a Nissan GTR is junk because you sat in one at a car show once. "I've heard a few" became "I've played a few" and really, how much experience can you have really had with this pickup system? My guess is almost none, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. The fact that you claim you were never able to get decent sound out of a Seagull may say more about your abilities at the board than it does about Godin. I've never heard or read anything negative about the electronics in a Godin instrument. That's kind of Godin's thing - the acoustic/electric/synth-access technology. I'm sure there are hundreds more, but check out a Youtube vid of a Seagull with QI/II - Do they sound awful to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXqOdiJySBM (QII at the end, Doug Young's review)

So, I am a fan of Godin products because they're a great value and perfect for gigging guitars that do what they're supposed to and sound amazing, (unless you're the soundguy . I'll also say I wish I had Quantum I or II pickups in my Taylors because both are miles better than any flavor of Taylor's ES, IMO.

In my opinion, the original poster should get the guitar with QI. It will cost him far more later to put in an aftermarket system that may or may not be as good.
Did I miss something? I thought simondylan just discussed how he has used the Quantum and has done sound for players with this system. How is that not informed? With that said, don't get to upset about it, it's definitely all subjective. I am just in agreement with simondylan that the Quantum is nothing special. Maybe you just really like that piezo sound, nothing wrong with that.

Also, the electronics in the multiac guitars are generally far superior to that of the Seagull brand. I would not make that comparison.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Well Rooster, first I stand by my statement. I'm not going to bother with trying to convince you of my abilities. I'll just say, I know what I'm doing. To answer your question about the links you posted, Not so good! Particularly the pickup. The mic helps the pickup to not sound so horrible, at least it's kind of smooth for strumming but no warmth and not what I would want as a plugged in tone. Now it would be "useable" for some scenarios but that's about the best thing I can say about it. And that clip at the end of Doug Young's review, (by the way I love what Doug Young does, he's a good man and a fair voice in all this confusion), is terrible. As far as my experience, I've heard from out in the audience, I've played as a performer, and I've mixed the Quantum. Not changing what I said before, just elaborating. I consider it an entry level system like so many factory installed systems. But that is my opinion and if anyone asks, that's what I'll tell them. Oh yeah, I own one seagull, and I'm pretty familiar with most of their line. FYI

Last edited by simondylan; 05-15-2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: mistaken identity!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification