The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-13-2017, 10:42 PM

Default Cort Earth Le2 MD vs Martin D28?

I've been looking in to this Cort Earth Le2 MD (Limited Edition), i like the material (solid madagascar rosewood, and solid sitka top AAAAA), wood binding, etc.

the price here is around $ 850. I think this is the high end series for cort acoustic which is not for mass production, some korean said this limited edition is handled carefully by cort's luthier (i don't know the if this true or not). But all high end cort now made in China, no Korean factory anymore. for low end series it's made in Indonesia.

They also have the new limited edition on 2017 (maybe later when arrive at my country, price estimated around $1200-$1300) which is upgrade from previous version, the only diff is wood binding using blackwood instead flamed mapple, bridge+fingerboard=ebony instead of rosewood, and top using torrefied european spruce AAAAA instead of sitka spruce AAAAA, and madagascar rosewood on headstock.

I just can't decide which one to be my next guitar between this cort or martin d-28 or d18....

what do you think?can this series of cort can at least compete with martin? maybe the sound/tone just a little bit below martin is ok for me, considering the price also far below martin...

too bad i can't try them out, since the store on my city don't have the stock.

here's the specs and looks:

Earth-LE2 MD NAT
http://www.cortguitars.com/ko/produc...dx=526#specs_t

korean review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGXLwXpEIjM

Earth-LE2 MD NAT
CONSTRUCTION Dovetail Neck Joint
BODY Dreadnought
NUT WIDTH 43mm (1 11/16")
TOP Solid Sitka Spruce(AAAAA)
BACK & SIDES Solid Madagascar Rosewood
NECK Mahogany + Rosewood + Mahogany 3PC
BINDING Flamed Maple
FRETBOARD Rosewood Fingerboard
FRETS 20 Frets
SCALE 25.3" (643mm)
INLAY Abalone + Mother of Pearl(수선화 문양)
TUNERS Gotoh SGL510(GOLD)
ROSETTE Abalone + Green Wood
BRIDGE Rosewood

Earth-LE2 MD NAT Torrefied
http://www.cortguitars.com/ko/produc...Word=&idx=1103

korean review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJt-a-AXeSQ

Earth-LE2 MD NAT Torrefied
CONSTRUCTION Dovetail Neck Joint
BODY Dreadnought
NUT WIDTH 43mm (1 11/16")
TOP Solid European Spruce(AAAAA)
BACK & SIDES Solid Madagascar Rosewood
NECK Mahogany + Rosewood + Mahogany 3PC
BINDING Blackwood
FRETBOARD Ebony
FRETS 20 Frets
SCALE 25.3" (643mm)
INLAY Abalone + Mother of Pearl(수선화 문양)
TUNERS Gotoh SGL510(GOLD)
ROSETTE Abalone + Green Wood
BRIDGE Ebony

Last edited by slianto; 03-13-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

I hate to be parochial, but I can't really imagine a scenario where I'd pick a Cort over a Martin.

The labor conditions at their factories are notoriously awful. https://cortaction.wordpress.com/about/

That headstock inlay isn't very well done, so that makes me wonder about the rest of the construction.

In general I think it's wiser to buy a lower-priced model from a manufacturer known for their high quality goods, rather than the top end from a manufacturer known for their cheap stuff. Martin has a lot of experience making good guitars at every price point. Cort has a lot of experience making mediocre guitars and less experience (than Martin) making very good ones.

Last edited by rogthefrog; 03-13-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:49 AM

i've found some close comparison in specs (same solid madagascar rosewood b/s), same chord/song. (nice!)
except cort using torrefied european spruce, while martin using sitka spruce. (it might be contribute a lot too...)

cort le2 md vs d28 john lennon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crk_IaHyyUw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h62zwL6cv6g

imo, martin sound more balanced, fundamental.. while cort more crisp, louder, overtones?

tbh i enjoy to listen martin more... hahaha cort sounds loud but unstable for me.

what do you guys think?
Old 03-14-2017, 02:49 AM

Are you a troll???

Trying to compare a Cort to a D18 or 28 series Martin makes no sense. Your talking the gold standard of guitars here.

They are never going to be similar.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:47 AM

I've never played a Cort, but I'm pretty sure if you get the Cort, no matter how nice it is you're going to wish you had gotten a Martin instead.

My advice is to hold out for a Martin. Buy nice or buy twice, they say.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 03-14-2017, 07:09 AM

Thumbs down No need for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by the architect View Post
Are you a troll???

Trying to compare a Cort to a D18 or 28 series Martin makes no sense. Your talking the gold standard of guitars here.

They are never going to be similar.
This is uncalled for. People that are inexperienced and people that live in other parts of the world do not have access to high-end US builds and more often than not, they are financially out of reach due to 1) They are expensive, even to many who live here and 2) Import fees and tariffs add to their already relatively high cost.

Not to mention the fact that Martin's warranty wouldn't even be applicable there.

A lot of people think that guitars having similar specs make some guitars comparable to what the big three produce. In some cases they are right, in most they are wrong.

I would also add that if you have never played the guitar in question, you cannot reasonable and accurately answer the OP's question.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-14-2017, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

Given the OP did not ask "what is your experience" with these two guitars. He asked what people "think". So of course that would be subjective opinion and having played the guitar is not requisite to offering a subjective opinion of possible comparison .
Unfortunately since the OP's question is two part, the first is do you "think" it can compare ? And the second is "is OK for me"
The first is easy to offer a subjective opinion whether one has played both or not. The second unfortunately is unanswerable regardless of having played both.

That said.
While the Cort may be just fine for the money.
The reality is the specs are for the most part meaningless sight unseen or in this case unplayed .

But all things being equal and in general there is very little reason to believe that something that costs 1/3 the price is going to sound the same or be of the same build or design quality. As to whether that will work for any given individual, is something only that individual can answer. That's just the reality of life.........

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 03-14-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

I've never seen the names Cort and Martin used in the same sentence.

I watched some documentaries on the Cort company and was pretty appalled.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 03-14-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I've never seen the names Cort and Martin used in the same sentence.
What about the 'lawsuit era' Takamines when Martin lawyers threatened to take them to Cort?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-14-2017, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
What about the 'lawsuit era' Takamines when Martin lawyers threatened to take them to Cort?
Surely you Jest-er

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 03-14-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Surely you Jest-er
... of cors

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-14-2017, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

I've played a handful of Cort acoustics, most of which were in their "Earth" series. They were actually pretty impressive. So much so, that I bought my middle son a Cort Earth 70 for his first acoustic. It blew away the Yamaha FG700. I have no doubt that the Cort in question is a very nice guitar, and could probably meet your needs very well. It probably plays and sounds great, and it obviously looks nice, if you're into all the inlays, etc.

The Martin D28 (or D18), on the other hand, is a world renown, classic acoustic guitar model that has earned the reputation as one of the greatest acoustic guitar models of all time. Sight unseen, there is really no comparison between the Cort and the Martin. I'd be shocked if anyone on this Forum would recommend to you the Cort over the Martin. If you are going to purchase the guitar without playing either first, get the Martin (provided you can afford it). "Objectively", the Martin is the best choice.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:48 PM

The only Cort acoustic I have played was the Frank Gambale LUXE model (at a store in Penang, MY). I was actually extremely impressed with the construction, playability, and tone. However, it was definitely a more "modern" acoustic sound (much closer to a Taylor than a Martin).

The price was also high for a Cort (~$800US equivalent) but still much less than a Taylor/Martin, etc.

That said, there isn't any magic pixie dust in the air in Nazareth, PA (despite what some think). What makes Martins special are well-proven designs (that can be copied), high-quality materials (that can be acquired anywhere for a price) and skilled workers (which can be found all over the world) so theoretically, if the money and desire is there (i.e. market), there is no reason a Cort couldn't stand up to a Martin. That said, I don't believe there is truly a market for such an instrument so I would not really expect these two instruments to be that comparable. I am sure corners would have been cut to make it a much more affordable option.

However, given my surprise at the LUXE, it is feasible that this Cort could still be a very decent guitar.

Later
Rob
Old 03-14-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
This is uncalled for. People that are inexperienced and people that live in other parts of the world do not have access to high-end US builds and more often than not, they are financially out of reach due to 1) They are expensive, even to many who live here and 2) Import fees and tariffs add to their already relatively high cost.

Not to mention the fact that Martin's warranty wouldn't even be applicable there.

A lot of people think that guitars having similar specs make some guitars comparable to what the big three produce. In some cases they are right, in most they are wrong.

I would also add that if you have never played the guitar in question, you cannot reasonable and accurately answer the OP's question.
thank you roy, you feel me.
I cant even try a single d18,d28 in my country, i have to import it from singapore. Maybe another city in my country have mexican martin, dx series or something, but i dont want it. If i gonna take martin then i prefer the usa one.

Also not to mention to get the d28, i have to save a whole annual salary. Lol. And not sure how to setup the guitar to my liking,shipping damage, high tax for luxury items, and the guarantee, etc. Most sad thing is i cant try an expensive guitar (for me) im gonna buy, except i took a flight to singapore (nearest country that have martin standard series).

Just curious if someone have tried them both and share some opinion, its 850$ vs 2800$, big deal for me now.

Last edited by slianto; 03-14-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Given the OP did not ask "what is your experience" with these two guitars. He asked what people "think". So of course that would be subjective opinion and having played the guitar is not requisite to offering a subjective opinion of possible comparison .
Unfortunately since the OP's question is two part, the first is do you "think" it can compare ? And the second is "is OK for me"
The first is easy to offer a subjective opinion whether one has played both or not. The second unfortunately is unanswerable regardless of having played both.

That said.
While the Cort may be just fine for the money.
The reality is the specs are for the most part meaningless sight unseen or in this case unplayed .

But all things being equal and in general there is very little reason to believe that something that costs 1/3 the price is going to sound the same or be of the same build or design quality. As to whether that will work for any given individual, is something only that individual can answer. That's just the reality of life.........
sorry kev, i didnt ask in detail because im not fluent in english so its hard for me to express what i want to say..

Thank you for pointing that out, Just curious if someone have tried them both and can share some opinion, because i cant try them both now, i have to travel to another city to try cort, and fly to singapore to try a d28

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion