The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-08-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitz81 View Post
Glad you were able to figure something out!

[FWIW, I'm the same height, so I wouldn't think arm length plays much of a factor. Only difference I can think of is that I keep the neck pretty much parallel to the floor, and I have the plane of the strings about perpendicular with the floor. Those angles might change how the guitar is being "pushed" down?]

I like to have the neck up. So much to figure out as I am re-learning the guitar in the past year or so.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
The weight of the arm balances the weight of the rest of the guitar. It also holds the body of the guitar back against the torso.

However, I agree this is not the most stable position. The classical position (1:28) and the cross-leg position (2:36) are better in that respect.
He doesn't actually demonstrate a more common variation on that,where the right leg closes over the left - like this guy:

The classical position is ideal for fingerstyle, but not so good for strumming. It's also awkward with large dreadnought-style bodies.

Both cross-leg positions hold the guitar very firmly under the right arm. You really need to tuck the guitar body as far back on your thigh - against your body as it will. His "knee-up" position is the most secure I've found - here are two great players who use it (some of the time at least):

Notice how Bert tucked the guitar right back,the top leaning forward. This really clamps the guitar in position between leg, right arm and body. (You don't have to be on a high stool, it works fine if not better on a normal chair.)

I prefer being seated and using a strap for better control. Slightly off topic, the photo with the smiling dark haired guy and guitar strap...where can I find some thin black leather strip (not shoelace type) like the type he has fastened to the hole in the strap at the headstock?
Old 03-22-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
After years of wrestling with this issue I finally said enough is enough. I put strap buttons in all of my guitars and play seated wearing a strap. This solved everything.
This, a thousand times. This ensures that the position of the instrument remains constant, so it doesn’t matter whether you sit or stand.....
Old 03-22-2018, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
I like to have the neck up. So much to figure out as I am re-learning the guitar in the past year or so.
Hi Rocky

I use a small strap/suction cup device called a NeckUP which allows me to elevate the headstock, and maintain control over the guitar. It allows me to work with both feet flat on the floor.

I set it out closer to the knee and lean the body back. I also sit up in my chair without my back touching most of the time, and with the NeckUP I can lean back if I want as well. I love it folds and goes in the case under my headstock.

I use it on all my guitars including my Olson for over a decade without any issues with the suction cups. It was invented by a guitarist.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-22-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Rocky

I use a small strap/suction cup device called a NeckUP which allows me to elevate the headstock, and maintain control over the guitar. It allows me to work with both feet flat on the floor.

I set it out closer to the knee and lean the body back. I also sit up in my chair without my back touching most of the time, and with the NeckUP I can lean back if I want as well. I love it folds and goes in the case under my headstock.

I use it on all my guitars including my Olson for over a decade without any issues with the suction cups. It was invented by a guitarist.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Thanks for showing me that. I think another person showed me that in an earlier response. For now though, I’m good with the left leg over right position or the regular casual position that I am trying to get used to. I’ve also been experimenting with using the strap sitting down. That kind of works for me because I like to have the guitar hiked up to my chest when using the strap (almost as high as how you have it with NeckUp) so that also works when sitting down. In any case, it’s good to know that others have struggled with this and others are having to find ways to get comfortable vs the casual position.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
Thanks for showing me that. I think another person showed me that in an earlier response. For now though, I’m good with the left leg over right position or the regular casual position that I am trying to get used to. I’ve also been experimenting with using the strap sitting down. That kind of works for me because I like to have the guitar hiked up to my chest when using the strap (almost as high as how you have it with NeckUp) so that also works when sitting down. In any case, it’s good to know that others have struggled with this and others are having to find ways to get comfortable vs the casual position.
Hi Rocky

About 20 years ago I decided no guitar was going to determine whether or not I could play it, so I decided to figure out ways to hold guitars when seated (and standing).

Nobody says you have to dedicate yourself to only one posture/strategy. I can set my left foot up on my right knee (when seated) and hold a full sized jumbo and play it comfortably if I have to. I can adjust this position to about any size of guitar.

I have a friend who has pretty serious back problems, and he crosses the left leg over right, wears his strap, and plays straight off to the side. It doesn't look awkward in person (kind of looks strange in pictures…see below). You can see how relaxed he is in this position.

It's unique to him, and doesn't restrict his play. In fact he used to only be able to play for a few minutes, and now he can jam for hours.

I'm suggesting while you are exploring it's easy enough to try things out and if they work add them to the arsenal. Lifts are not for everyone, nor is classical position appropriate to every situation.

Finding a free-me-up-to-play-relaxed position is a game changer for most players. And what works for one doesn't work for everyone. I taught for about 40 years, and saw some really creative playing postures which worked.

I only tried to change students when there were obvious problems, or physical issues (blown out knees/shoulders, back issues etc).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-22-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
I'm suggesting while you are exploring it's easy enough to try things out and if they work add them to the arsenal. Lifts are not for everyone, nor is classical position appropriate to every situation.

Finding a free-me-up-to-play-relaxed position is a game changer for most players.
Thank you for your thoughts. I've been relearning the guitar for about a year now and there is so many things I am finding I need to tweak and fine tune vs how I was doing it before. From what we are discussing here, sitting position, to the nuances of picking and strumming and trying to get through a song cleanly... It's all been very fun challenge that's kept me glued to my guitar since I got started again. =)
Old 05-04-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
The weight of the arm balances the weight of the rest of the guitar. It also holds the body of the guitar back against the torso.

However, I agree this is not the most stable position. The classical position (1:28) and the cross-leg position (2:36) are better in that respect.
He doesn't actually demonstrate a more common variation on that,where the right leg closes over the left - like this guy:

The classical position is ideal for fingerstyle, but not so good for strumming. It's also awkward with large dreadnought-style bodies.

Both cross-leg positions hold the guitar very firmly under the right arm. You really need to tuck the guitar body as far back on your thigh - against your body as it will. His "knee-up" position is the most secure I've found - here are two great players who use it (some of the time at least):

Notice how Bert tucked the guitar right back,the top leaning forward. This really clamps the guitar in position between leg, right arm and body. (You don't have to be on a high stool, it works fine if not better on a normal chair.)
I have a proper stool that I bought for my classical, but I found that its great with my Dreadnought too!
Tanglewood TU13M ukulele
Brunswick BU4B baritone ukulele
Valencia VC204H hybrid
Deacon MA100 Mandolin
Old 05-04-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
After years of wrestling with this issue I finally said enough is enough. I put strap buttons in all of my guitars and play seated wearing a strap. This solved everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I usually play seated anyway but have found wearing a strap helps me maintain good posture.
Agree entirely.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write