The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-03-2016, 09:40 AM

Default Help on Mysterious Fret Buzzzz

Here is my first post and I'm already complaining :P

I know that this is a topic that has been discussed ad nauseam, but I will give it a shot

I recently (August) purchased a new Martin OMC-28E American Musical Supply.
I love the guitar, but there are some annoyances.

The biggest is a fret buzz on the D string when fretted from 1st to 5th fret. The buzz only occurs when fretted (not open) and plucked hard.

I took it to an excellent luthier who is also a Martin authorized repair center.
He looked at all the obvious and not so obvious trouble spots.
All the frets were nice and even when checked with the fret rocker. Added a taller bridge and still buzzing. The only way to stop the buzz was by adding so much relief that the guitar was unplayable.
The only course of action left is to dress the frets and Martin will cover this under warranty.

My question is, has anyone had a similar situation and had it resolved?

My thought is that a brand new Martin should not have to have the frets dressed so soon. Especially when all the frets are even.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-03-2016, 09:47 AM

I agree with you, I would not expect a new instrument to require anything more than the normal set up to your requirements. The luthier has checked everything and delivered his assessment, but I would still suspect a high fret somewhere, the fact that excessive neck relief cures the problem would seem to suggest that too. But I'm not a luthier.
Is there somewhere else you could take the instrument before subjecting it to a bit more than just a tweak? Your man may have missed something.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:12 AM

Might have to go the route of another opinion.
The only fret that was minutely higher was the 12th fret. The string is pretty high above the fret at that point.
All the others were unnaturally perfect. I guess the Plek machine did its job well, but I wonder if the settings were adequate.

My fear is also, what if the fret dressing does not solve the problem.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Did he replace the nut?

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-03-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Did he replace the nut?
No, the nut was not replaced. Since it only happens when fretted and not open, the thought of the nut being the problem was crossed off. The bridge, however was replaced.

What are your thoughts on the nut being the issue?
Old 10-03-2016, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabanjr View Post
No, the nut was not replaced. Since it only happens when fretted and not open, the thought of the nut being the problem was crossed off. The bridge, however was replaced.

What are your thoughts on the nut being the issue?
The slot for the string could be too low. I would hold the guitar on its side and just eyeball the open strings. If the D string is lower than the rest it's the nut, if not look at fret height. Are the first few frets crowned too much?

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-03-2016, 11:38 AM

I have on occasion run into these mystery buzzes that have been solved by changing strings. It happens most often on a wound string, and upon closer inspection the string was found to be defective (uneven windings, etc.).
Old 10-03-2016, 11:45 AM

Default fret buzz

One thing that can easily be checked and is often the cause of buzz are the nuts on the tuners. If one loosens a trifle it may buzz in certain situations but not in others. Hold your hand over each one as you duplicate the buzz. If holding one stops the buzz, simply tighten it a wee bit.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:52 PM

Rabanjr, sometimes problems with other parts of a guitar will manifest themselves as buzzes that seem to come from the fretboard, but really aren't. Sometimes sympathetic vibrations will cause loose hardware on the headstock or even inside the guitar body itself to buzz. These things can be maddeningly frustrating to track down.

Stormin' wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post
I have on occasion run into these mystery buzzes that have been solved by changing strings. It happens most often on a wound string, and upon closer inspection the string was found to be defective (uneven windings, etc.).
That's one possibility.

Then the Bard wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
One thing that can easily be checked and is often the cause of buzz are the nuts on the tuners. If one loosens a trifle it may buzz in certain situations but not in others. Hold your hand over each one as you duplicate the buzz. If holding one stops the buzz, simply tighten it a wee bit.
Loose truss rod hardware can do the same thing.

Other problem areas can be created when braces or the bridgeplate start to separate from the surface they're glued to. By opening up a little gap like that, it can create buzzes and rattles that can be very difficult to track down and resolve.

I agree with the recommendation others have made, that you take the guitar to another repair tech to get a different set of eyes and ears working on the problem. It may be that your original repair tech is not terribly experienced at troubleshooting this kind of problem, or it might just have eluded him for some other reason.

So check and make sure all the tuner buttons and nuts are firmed down, that the truss rod isn't loose, and look inside the guitar body with a flashlight and a dental mirror to see if you can spot any obvious loose or broken braces and bridgeplate. Then take the guitar to another repair tech, just to get his or her input.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-03-2016, 12:56 PM

Another source of mysterious buzzes can be loose electronics inside the guitar, whether it's the pickup and/or preamp themselves, or just the wires that connect them to the jack. Most pickup systems have little foam wire holders that adhere to the inside of the guitar: they're light and they do the job pretty well, but when the adhesive dries out completely they can let go. Buzzes can be caused if the suddenly loose wires are vibrating against something else.

whm
Old 10-03-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabanjr View Post
The buzz only occurs when fretted (not open) and plucked hard.
Could we be overlooking the obvious? Myself I can make every one of my guitars buzz if I pluck hard enough. Could it be a situation like "Doc it hurts when I do this". And he/she recoils in horror and says "well then for gods sake don't do that"!

Cheers...................Todd
Old 10-03-2016, 01:36 PM

.....if it were mine....I would request a replacement under warranty.......
Old 10-03-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
The slot for the string could be too low. I would hold the guitar on its side and just eyeball the open strings. If the D string is lower than the rest it's the nut, if not look at fret height. Are the first few frets crowned too much?
Since you're only getting buzzing when fretting, I'd look closely here at what TBman states -

Try putting a piece of a paper towel or such behind the fretted area and in front of the nut -
might be buzzing on the frets there, between the hand and nut.
Maybe lay down a little scotch tape on those D string frets and give it a try.

If that's not it, then you get to look everywhere else. I had a buzz when I played an open G and thought it was clearly the B or E string.
Turned out it was the open G string needed to be reseated as the ball end was not snug - thought it was coming from my hand area.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

I agree with checking things like loose braces, electronics, tuners, and especially the seating of strings. I had a buzz on one string at a couple of particular frets and it turned out the ball end was not seated properly and was giving off an ever so slight vibration.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:46 PM

First off, I want to thank everyone for their fantastic input.

You all are truly an asset to the community

Ok. Here we go.

Quote:
I tried this and they seem even. I dont think that they are too crowned, but I will try to get a picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post
I have on occasion run into these mystery buzzes that have been solved by changing strings.
I have changed strings several times

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
One thing that can easily be checked and is often the cause of buzz are the nuts on the tuners.
Just went over them all again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Another source of mysterious buzzes can be loose electronics inside the guitar
Checking now

Quote:
Originally Posted by TConnelly View Post
Could we be overlooking the obvious? Myself I can make every one of my guitars buzz if I pluck hard enough.
It's really not that hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgt178 View Post
.....if it were mine....I would request a replacement under warranty.......
How difficult would this be?

I will most likely be looking for another opinion with another luthier.

Sometimes fresh eyes and ears can be helpful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion