The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-30-2002, 02:46 PM

That 914C is a very nice 12 series
Old 12-30-2002, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by crowdedstr
how about this pic from msg night 2

http://www.businesswire.com/photowire/pw.122302/bb2.jpg
Who's the poor white kid with no rhythm?

"If you can't set a good example, be a horrible warning..."

My various websites:
The Image Gallery
The Sportster Gallery
Old 12-30-2002, 07:58 PM

That's some hack named Dave somethin' or other standing next to JAMES BROWN !!

(Isn't that Dave the one who keeps playing versions of the same song over and over ?)
Old 12-30-2002, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by markraysich

That's some hack named Dave somethin' or other standing next to JAMES BROWN !!

(Isn't that Dave the one who keeps playing versions of the same song over and over ?)
Hmmm...

okay.... (reads again)

hmmmm....hack??(dander rises)

yep............them's fightin' words!
Old 12-30-2002, 10:01 PM

Well, at least he didn't say "no-talent hack!"

My various websites:
The Image Gallery
The Sportster Gallery
Old 12-30-2002, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lili
Well, at least he didn't say "no-talent hack!"

And I'm sure you dance very well too, dear...

Old 12-31-2002, 06:53 AM

so why the hell do all the old guys have a problem w/ DAve Matthews anyways? Its not like we're droolin' over limp bisket or something.
Old 12-31-2002, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor007
so why the hell do all the old guys have a problem w/ DAve Matthews anyways? Its not like we're droolin' over limp bisket or something.

...and well said to you, sir!
Old 12-31-2002, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Well, I can tell you why I don't particularly like Dave Matthews. I find that most of his songs (at least the ones released for airplay) sound very similar. I just can't admire an artist who relies on a formula. I have the same problem with, for instance, Blues Traveler. I think they are technically very good, but they just keep rehashing the same old tunes. Johnny Cash's early stuff also comes to mind. You could always tell one of his songs -- same key, same rhythm, same chords. Jewell is another one. Lots of rappers do it, to.

I'll admit I haven't ever listened to a whole DMB CD, so it may be that he does have some different material. But if that's so, he needs to talk to whoever it is arranging his releases.

It's not that I particularly dislike DM. It's just that I don't think he's that big a deal.

As for the ribbing, we just funnin' you whippersnappers. We gotta have something to do while we're sitting around in the rocking chairs all evening....

And please feel free to mock some of "our" artists, too. Barry Manilow instantly comes to mind....

My various websites:
The Image Gallery
The Sportster Gallery
Old 12-31-2002, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lili
I'll admit I haven't ever listened to a whole DMB CD, so it may be that he does have some different material. But if that's so, he needs to talk to whoever it is arranging his releases
yeah, for dmb, you definitely have to look past their radio hits. listen to an entire album, download some of their live material (the dmb allows fans to record their shows and spread them via internet, snail mail trades, etc.), or better yet, check them out in concert for yourself.

there's quite a bit more to the band than their radio hits. personally, i find their radio hits pretty lame as well (so much to say, too much, what would you say, satellite, i did it, etc). admittedly, i didn't even get into the band until 05/98 when i saw them live for the first time. it's quite a different experience, trust me....48 dmb shows, 30,000 miles (air and car combined), and countless memories later, i'm still here to tell you about it
Bose PAS - Single Bass Unit
http://www.myspace.com/donbecker
Old 12-31-2002, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by markraysich

Now that's a 914!
Old 12-31-2002, 12:42 PM

Hey lili,

Thanks for weighing in. That seems to be a common impression of DMB from those who are not fans. While I would agree that a lot of their work sounds alike, I don’t know that it so much a reliance on repetition.

I would say that DMB has actually created a sub-genre, being an eclectic blend of rock, alternative, jazz, world music, funk and a host of other influences. Their inovative use of sax, electric violin, and keyboards along with Dave’s incredible rhythmic talent have combined to produce a signature sound that stands alone. To those who do not follow their stuff, it may seem very “same-ish”. Just try to play a few of the songs and you will find that they are very different, not to mention difficult!! Their style is only beginning to show its influence, loosely reflected in the work of David Gray and John Mayer.

The other aspect of DMB fandom is the undeniably thought-provoking lyrics that the man composes. His subject matter ranges from deeply serious world issues (Cry Freedom) to moving love songs (Lover Lay Down) and just about everything in between. Dave also gets actively behind a number of worthy causes in his time away from performing which makes him, IMHO, a good role model for young folks today.

The reason that many of their fans are so “die-hard” is that they have been following the progress of the band over the last ten or so years and have watched it transform from a small well-kept secret into an explosive force in popular music.

As I write, I find myself smack in between “young whippersnapper” and “old fuddy-duddy”, not a bad place to be when you think about it. I have been, and all things being equal, always will be, a DMB fan. At the same time, I totally respect everyone differing tastes in music… that diversity is what makes life interesting. Sorry for the rant!!!

Peace, love and Happy New Year!!!

Old 12-31-2002, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Hey you kids !!
Get off of my lawn !!

Old 12-31-2002, 01:00 PM

Alright guys....let's break out the Geritol and the Depends...we have a winner!!

Old 12-31-2002, 01:02 PM

BTW....
For the record.....I'm REALLY only teasing.
No, I'm not a DMB fan, but I respect the man and his material.
We all have different musical likes and dislikes, and we need to allow room for each of us to be an individual.
So.....DMB fans......Rock The House

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification