The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-23-2018, 09:15 AM

I have heard it said (I forget by who) that in order to perform a piece you need to know it so well that if someone blew your head off with a shotgun, your body would continue to play it. I am not in any way suggesting this as a practice technique.

When I reach a certain level with a song (or even part of a song) I will practice it while watching tv (my SO is okay with this). This seems to help move it to muscle memory. I also tend to survive watching tv. The shotgun, not so much.

Also, there is no shame in printing out the tab and putting it on a stand while you perform (I put it in a cellophane sleeve). This does two things; you don't have to memorize it completely, and it gives you something to concentrate on so your mind does not wander.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
Tell yourself in advance, to ignore the distractions, to put them off as soon as they rear their ugly head. Ignore your audience but pretend not to. Like the nervous public speaker who "looks at" the audience but does not see them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedymike View Post
When I reach a certain level with a song (or even part of a song) I will practice it while watching tv (my SO is okay with this). This seems to help move it to muscle memory.
What you guys say here reminds me of the awful experience I would rather soon forget... my first open mic last summer. Got all excited about getting back into guitar. Dusted off some songs I thought I was bullet proof on because I could play them cold at home. Went to the open mic and it was as if I had never played those songs before. I had to stop and reset several times on songs that I thought I knew well. Boy... so, what you guys are saying here definitely resonates. Haven't been back to open mic since, but really want to work up few songs that I can take back there and redeem myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
You've been dabbling in those two songs for only 2 months. You love them. So it'll be very rewarding when, with time, you master them. You will perform them beautifully, whether perfectly or with a mistake or three included that will go unnoticed by all but yourself. Thanks for posting your thread, it's a very important topic for us.
Thank you for the encouragement.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
...But I think there is a point of diminishing return when you practice something too much in one sitting...
Amen!
I'm an old fart and an amateur musician, not a pro . . . the majority of time I spend with a guitar needs to be fun!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write