The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-01-2003, 08:01 PM

Default bourgeois slopde d

wanted to know if any of you guys and gals have had any experience playing these guitars. If so, what do you think? I am considering getting one at a very good price and have not yet played it. Don't know much about them.
tacoma pmc20
Old 01-01-2003, 09:11 PM

Have played quite a few...they're the "hot" guitar around here, right now. I've yet to play a bad one, but I've played a couple that were downright astoundingly good. The best ones appear to have great sustain, with clear notes all the way up the fretboard.

Great fit/finish quality and a deep sound. Exceptionally nice guitars...and at the right price something you'll never want to get rid of. My opinion only.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:28 AM

There are two of them here in the UK, one with Walnut that was recently reviewed in "Guitarist" magazine, and a gorgeous Ziricote backed one that is the same one featured on thier website.

Unfortunately I haven't yet had chance to play them 'cos the shop is a fair distance away. However, I will say that the review in Guitarist came with a CD audio demo, together with a Goodall Koa Concert and a Santa Cruz VA. Now, whilst initially the sound did not blow me away (and how reliable are these CD recordings anyway?) having listened to the CD several times now I absolutely prefer the Slope D. It had a very mellow sound, not bursting with harmonics, which led me to think it may sit in a mix much better if you were to record with it. The Goodall and Santa Cruz sounded very similar to my own Taylor.

What the Slope D did have was loads of sustain and a lovely piano like chime to the treble.

Unfortunately the cost of them here in the UK is considerable, which is why I haven't bought it yet, but for a totally handmade guitar I think they are incredibly good value compared to Taylor. Not only that but Dana seems every bit as nice a guy as Bob Taylor- I e-mailed him about the two guitars and what he thought about their suitability as a fingerstyle guitar (I adore dreadnought shaped guitars) and he got back to me in a few hours with some very useful info.

The only thing I don't like about these guitars are their looks !! I can't quite place my finger on why, especially as I adore the Gibson J45 look (Santa Cruz make a simliar looking one as well), but somehow the sunburst finish, pickguard shape and head stock shape don't quite come together for me. Mind you, bear in mind I haven't picked one up in real life yet, and I reckon even my Taylor looks much less attractive in photos than it does in the flesh.

Happy hunting- I know thinking about these two Slope D's has gievn me several sleepless nights, especially as I know someone in Germany is also seriously interested in them ! Going to have to make a decision soon.

Rob
Patrick Eggle New York Broadway
Old 01-02-2003, 09:11 AM

They're very popular with the bluegrass crowd these days. The few I've heard are rather "Martinish" in character.

"If you can't set a good example, be a horrible warning..."

My various websites:
The Image Gallery
The Sportster Gallery

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification