The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-30-2002, 07:36 PM

Question Question about electric guitars...

First...I know absolutely nothing about electric guitars, a friend of mine has a Hammer electric guitar that I've played with once but I know nothing about them.

I've got a few hundred dollars to spend and was thinking about purchasing an electric guitar to toy around with.

Seems like the biggest three names that I see are a Telecaster, Stratocaster, and Les Paul. (I don't think that I have enough money to get into the Les Paul models..., that leaves the Stratocaster and the Telecaster)

Since I enjoy country music, I've noticed that lots of country music players play Telecasters. What is the differences between the two?

What are some things that I should look for in checking out electric guitars?

My favorite guitar store is located near my work, so I was thinking of going in after I return from the holidays and asking to see the best couple of guitars that I could afford in my price range and playing around with them. (I have around $500 dollars to spend, and that would need to include a small Amp and everthing else needed to get started)

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thanks - Big Mike

Last edited by Big Mike; 12-30-2002 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:12 PM

Big Mike,

Go play a Mexi-Tele. If you can stretch your budget a little bit, play a reissue of the Thinline. For country-style, there ain't nothin' better. Trust me.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:42 PM

Like rhino said, go check out a mexi-tele. Don't just play one, run the rack and find a nice one. The quality is hit or miss but the good ones are worth the dough. As far as amps go, I am going to recommend the Roland cube 15 for around the house. 15 watts, 8 inch speaker, less than 100 bucks at Musician's Friend. I ordered one not too long ago. Excellent bang for the buck, I don't think you can find a better knockaround the house amp for the money. I think we can set you up for around 400 bucks with this rig.
In your price range I would stick with the MexiTele rather than the strat. I think the teles are nicer for the money. It is harder to make a cheap strat than a cheap tele (Although you can pick up an American Std Strat for 500 bucks but that won't leave you any bread for the amp). Best of luck and let us know what you get.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:29 PM

I've got a MIM Strat and it is quite nice. The Mexican Fenders (Strats and Teles) are all pretty well made. I play mostly classic rock and blues and it is quite versatile. If you play mostly country, you'll probably be better off with a Tele to get that twang thing goin'. Teles can do blues and rock too.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:53 PM

Go out and play a bunch of 'em and get what feels and sounds best to you. Try out the Mexican Tele's and Strat's, but try a lot of them. The quality can vary, but look hard and you can find a gem.

Spend the rest of your money on a POD or a V-Amp and some good headphones. Either one of these will provide many hours of entertainment without disturbing family or neighbors. Most of all, have fun!
Old 12-30-2002, 11:33 PM

All good advice. In the world of plug-ins, teles rule!
Old 12-31-2002, 07:42 AM

Oh yeah...if you're looking for a cheap (but overlooked, and excellent) amp modeller/effects box, go out and grab a Johnson J-Station. IMO, better sounding than a POD and half the price (you can get one for about $150 or so on-line, less if you look used on eBay.) Unlike the POD units, I think the J-Station does a better job of retaining the original character of the instrument, and the amp modelling is just awesome. I just can't tell the diff between it through a console and being plugged into a Marshall half-stack.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:56 AM

You can get a real Fender by buying a G&L . You can get a used one pretty cheap if you look around. The quality of these guitars matches or exceeds the Fender Custom Shop guitars being made today. Check a G&L Legacy (Strat) or ASAT (Tele).
Old 12-31-2002, 10:08 AM

I agree about buying a G&L, but if the budget is $500 for the guitar and amp getting a G&L would be tough. A nice, gently used Legacy will run around $450 - $500. They are great guitars!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification