The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-27-2002, 01:27 PM

Default Playing different sizes

Admittedly, I'm a beginner, but I wonder how others are dealing with playing different size guitars while practicing, especially scales. I have a Jumbo, a 3/4, a "folk" size, and a Taylor Baby and it takes a while to get used to a new size when switching over. Does this become less of a problem as time goes on and I get better or is it more advisable to not try to get over this hump and just play the same size all the time?
Old 12-27-2002, 07:22 PM
Eric Skye

There is always going to be some adjustment. In time you may end up with different guitars for different aspects of your playing and not worring about being able to do everything all your guitars. Being a fingerstyle player with a classical background, I had my Taylor made ( no pun ) with a 1 7/8th nut and a 2 and 3/8th spacing at the bridge so it was less of an adjustment, but of course going from one guitar to another is always noticeable. I also have a Baby, It's obviously a big leap form the aforementioned guitars, but it is what it is, I use it for traveling and practicing on my exercise bike, I know I’m not going to be able to play fingerstyle well on it, but I don’t care.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:59 PM

i too have a classical background. all three of my Taylors have the 1 7/8 inch neck at the nut and 2 3/8 inch space at the saddle. i own a 712ce, 855, and NS32ce.....moving between them is no effort. if i use a strap, each has it's own position. if i owned a guitar with a thinner neck, i would probably have a bigger adjustment. keep in mind that you have different guitars for different styles of playing.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:02 PM

Ace,

If you are truly a beginner, I think you'd do well to do MOST of your serious practice on the same guitar. Nothing wrong with playing 'em all, but I'd grab that jumbo first every time, and get your chops honed. As your skill progresses, it will be easier to switch to your smaller axes, but I think learning basic skills on one guitar will keep your progress steady and keep from confusing your brain.

Yoda
Old 12-28-2002, 12:07 AM

In general, it's the width of the neck, not the size of the guitar that's going to throw you for a loop. If you're not going to stick to one practice guitar ( a good idea for a while, IMO ), then at least keep to different instruments with the same size neck.

Good luck and remember to have fun.
Taylor 314ce-LTD
Alberico OM
Collings OM-2H
Breedlove Phoenix
Santa Cruz 000
Taylor GSRC
Gibson J-185
Breedlove SJ-25-12
Taylor GC5
Collings SJ
Taylor T5 Standard
Guild GAD-4N
Taylor MAH-GS LTD
Guild F-1512 12 String
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Old 12-30-2002, 08:20 AM

Default Thanks

All your kind comments duly noted. Thank you.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:34 AM

This question is for jclif1995, min7b5 or anyone who has the 1 7/8 nut and the 2 3/8 inch spacing at the saddle.

I also have this combination. While I like the spacing I seem to pull the high E string over the side often when I am playing. Have any of you had this problem and if so what have you done about it?

I called and talked to someone at Taylor and they told me they were aware of this and would fix it if I decided I wanted it changed to the 2 2/16 inch saddle. If I understood the person correctly it would mean putting on a new bridge and then the 2 3/16 saddle. However, I am trying to see if I can find a way to solve the problem I am having without changing the the bridge and saddle.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Midnight Shadow
Old 12-30-2002, 09:01 PM

If you have a jumbo, is there any need for anything else?

Taylor 415ce
Member #2406

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification