The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-20-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotgas View Post
The detail in this guitar is absolutely beautiful and so tastefully done. I cannot wait to see it all come together in this thread. You are such a lucky man!
Shane
Thanks Shane! I really am lucky to have discovered Joel

The rest of the build is going to come together quite quickly. Might be ready for finish come end of the week

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-20-2015, 06:38 PM

That's really soon Jay!! So you're going to pick it up personally? Did you drive ALL those miles?? O.o When your Greenfield comes, you'll technically still be stuck in "Treeville"

I see my future set in there somewhere I have no idea how you juggle gigs, guitars and The Tree!! A busy man no doubt.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

Last edited by Marcus Wong; 04-27-2015 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
I have difficulty finding your McKnight Thread! Mind posting it here for us to see?
Found it

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=145817
Old 04-20-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Thanks for that! I've actually seen it before and just gave it another read through. Extremely informative with pretty pictures at the end. It's making me feel rather excited about the LS!

Only thing I am afraid of is that I tend use quite a bit of nails, and it seems that LS prefers flesh, so hopefully that would be a non-issue.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-21-2015, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Only thing I am afraid of is that I tend use quite a bit of nails, and it seems that LS prefers flesh, so hopefully that would be a non-issue.
Nails are just fine on LS. I use them all the time. My friend Brian Gore is using my McKnight Brazilian/LS right now...he is in love with that guitar. He uses nails too. I wouldn't worry about it.

Jay
Old 04-21-2015, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Nails are just fine on LS. I use them all the time. My friend Brian Gore is using my McKnight Brazilian/LS right now...he is in love with that guitar. He uses nails too. I wouldn't worry about it.

Jay
That's a relief, and WOW BRW/LS... Do you happen to have a thread for that?

Hmmm....such a precious guitar with a friend with nails...I think you might need to check up on the condition of the guitar

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-21-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
This must have been the fastest update I've gotten! Joel has to have mine in the finish by the end of April to make it in time for Memphis so things are coming along faster now!

Joel prefers to bind the back of the guitar first before working on the scoop. He finds it easier this way as there is a small amount of sanding to be done after the binding is installed, and this allows him to have the most accurate plane for which the scoop and scoop purflings are to be installed

The scoop starts with a template to route the purfling line. It is the same as his standard cutaway and modified as needed to fit the scoop.

Scoop purfling installed!

This was the picture Joel showed me before hand after telling me that he had dropped the guitar which resulted in a piece falling out D: Felt like my heart had fallen out as well prior to this picture!! Hahah

This is the point where Joel was getting tired from a long day's work...when he noticed this guy grazing outside and a light bulb went off in his head. He herded him into the shop and sprinkled a little grass around the scoop. I have to say he did a pretty darn good job cleaning up the edges!

Here the scoop cavity is carved into shape. He likes his side purfling to continue around the scoop, it is a difficult step but here is the final piece of the puzzle to tie it all together. The purfling line is routed mostly by hand and then glued into place (I have no idea how people do this). The wenge scoop cap is bent and prepped

A few wraps of the surgical tubing later and.....

Joel left the last picture out because it included something else he was working on for my build that he doesn't want to reveal to me yet so I guess I will just have to wait D:
Hmmmm. This all looks very familiar! The guitar is looking very nice indeed. Lots of clean little details - Looks like you will be a happy guy Marcus.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton LeGeyt View Post
Hmmmm. This all looks very familiar! The guitar is looking very nice indeed. Lots of clean little details - Looks like you will be a happy guy Marcus.
Did Joel steal the giraffe from you? what is familiar though?

I know I will be. Currently I am not though, the suspense and anticipation is getting to me

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-23-2015, 10:28 AM

Default The Other Tree....

Just a sneak peek for those of you interested in seeing how the other Tree build is going! and a little Brazilian build too...

http://symphontreemusic.com/joel-mic...osewood-oo-rs/

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-26-2015, 09:13 AM

Default Bevel time!

OK some background information first!

Joel has struggled for a long time to find a Bevel that suited his style as he felt that many of the current designs distracting to his eye. The Ryan is very elegant and graceful but caused the body to look asymmetrical. The Laskin (whom Joel is proud is Canadian as well ) although fixed this asymmetrical illusion still didn't feel right to him.

-OF COURSE, NO DISRESPECT TO KEVIN RYAN AND GRIT LASKIN AS WHO DOESN'T HOLD THEM BOTH IN HIGH REGARD! (Just a matter of preference)-

Hence, through this struggle, Joel stopped offering the bevel a few years back as he couldn't find a design to suit his design sense. This is where I come in! I told Joel that I had very much wanted a Bevel for my build and had actually the same issues he had with the current designs. So I told him to keep this at the back of his mind, if he does come up with a design that we both love, then we shall go ahead with it. So, Joel being the workaholic and perfectionist he is, went back to his drawing board.

Simon Fay's recent arm bevel was actually quite nice and suited both of our design sense. He liked the square terminations, so...combining all aspects of the Ryan, Laskin and Fay bevels we liked....

Hence, the MICHAUD Bevel* was born! (apologies if this design has already been adopted by another luthier out there, we are not aware of any and hope to not offend anyone! )

*A square termination on the lower bout with a scoop inset inside along with the graceful termination at the waist. It allows the eye to see the bevel and not be confused with the asymmetry while still flowing well into the body

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-26-2015, 09:19 AM

Default Bevel Time! Cont'd

Notice the Ryan style flow into the waist

Square termination at the tail

Notice the bent scoop at the termination point reminiscent of Fay's. Also the End graft interrupts the binding which helps tie in the bevel better

Full frontal (SFW)

And let's not forget the Scoop!

The guitar is now off to finish. He will send me a second batch of pre-finish shoots later in the week

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-27-2015, 06:57 AM

Love the woods used on this guitar Marcus, and a v interesting take on the bevel. It looks like a hybrid of the Ryan and Laskin bevel at each end. Maybe you should call it the Ryskin bevel first of its kind!

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 04-27-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftz07 View Post
Love the woods used on this guitar Marcus, and a v interesting take on the bevel. It looks like a hybrid of the Ryan and Laskin bevel at each end. Maybe you should call it the Ryskin bevel first of its kind!
Thank you! I love how your ABW Charis turned out. One of the most classy and elegant builds I have ever laid eyes on. I have plans for a ABW (baritone?) guitar and now I know what kind of look to go for, thanks for showing me the way

Well, I think it is more of a Ryan/Fay bevel but yes, Ryskin does have a nicer ring to it

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-27-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Did Joel steal the giraffe from you? what is familiar though?

I know I will be. Currently I am not though, the suspense and anticipation is getting to me
I just meant that Joel is using my method of doing the bevel. I have a hippo that watches over my work
Old 04-27-2015, 11:48 AM

I'm good friends with the gentleman finishing this guitar and saw some pics just this past weekend. I think you'll be a happy man.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
fanned fret, joel michaud, lucky strike, manzer wedge, the tree