The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-07-2024, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Thanks, Larrison, I've thought about trying something other than the Shure SM81. I've got a stereo pair of Ear Trumper Labs Edwina LDC mics and I can use one of them for IR generation with the ToneDexter II. To date, I haven't tried anything other than the Shure SM81. I also have a Heil PR-40 Large Diaphragm Dynamic mic that I could try. Then I also have some cheap Marshall MXL LDC mics. More experimentation to come ...
I've had my eyes on an Ear Trumpet Edwina recently- obviously not for wavemap generation

I like the way my Hummingbird records with my Bluebird, but I have to get pretty picky with mic placement to avoid woofy boominess. I record in an untreated office, so I can't back away too much to get rid of the woof. The SDCs have been a lifesaver in that regard, but I'm still experimenting.

My next wavemap is going to be my (wife's) Martin 000-12 with stock pickup. It's on the thin sounding side of things, so I'm going to try it with the LDC first and see if I can beef it up some. On my list as well is to sort out sending a stereo pair through my interface and then running that into the TDII. I really don't think it takes much work to make a good wavemap, but my curiosity needs to be satisfied.
Kopp K-35 Walnut / Tunnel 14
Old 01-07-2024, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrison View Post
I've had my eyes on an Ear Trumpet Edwina recently- obviously not for wavemap generation

I like the way my Hummingbird records with my Bluebird, but I have to get pretty picky with mic placement to avoid woofy boominess. I record in an untreated office, so I can't back away too much to get rid of the woof. The SDCs have been a lifesaver in that regard, but I'm still experimenting.

My next wavemap is going to be my (wife's) Martin 000-12 with stock pickup. It's on the thin sounding side of things, so I'm going to try it with the LDC first and see if I can beef it up some. On my list as well is to sort out sending a stereo pair through my interface and then running that into the TDII. I really don't think it takes much work to make a good wavemap, but my curiosity needs to be satisfied.
Larrison, as I found with the original Tonedexter, the Tonedexter II compels me to try many mic positions--and the possibilities are endless--to get the best WaveMap tone possible! Most of what I hear is superior to the raw pickup but I keep thinking, let me move the mic an inch or six that way and change the mic angle to the guitar's top from 30 degrees to 45 degrees to square with the top, and hear what happens ...
Adamas MD80 NWT
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-07-2024, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

I’m still using my inexpensive Behringer ref mic, and trying a couple positions, but I’m also enjoying the EQ possibilities built into the TD2, and playing with the spaciousness and feedback reduction. Lots of adjustment there, and playing it through different amps (I have a Schertler Jam 150 at home, and a Fender Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb at the warehouse). Lots of fun options, and most sound a lot better than plugging in direct -
Old 01-08-2024, 06:40 PM

I’m still building wavemaps for my recently acquired TD1!
Old 01-08-2024, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
This is not expected behavior. Training with a cable, then using it with a wireless link should sound identical and work perfectly. Training with a wireless link is not recommended due to the added latency of typical digital wireless systems. If it's an analog wireless system, there should be no issue.

Please contact us for additional support regarding this issue if you need it.
James May will any further revisions be generated for the TD1?
Old 01-08-2024, 07:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
James May will any further revisions be generated for the TD1?
No. The hardware is still supported in the sense that repairs are available if needed, but the software is frozen at V2.06 for the original ToneDexter and will not be developed further.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 01-09-2024, 02:14 AM

Smile

I posted this under another topic as well but thought it was worth repeating here:
I created an alternate PDF version of the ToneDexter II manual for printing that doesn't eat up a bunch of ink. I'm kind of a tightwad about that. I tried to keep all the important stuff legible.

Note: AudioSprockets has updated the manual on their website so I'll have to update my "lite" version. Message me if you would like the link when completed.

PS: AudioSprockets - James - and everyone that makes PDF manuals - since you are not including manuals anymore, you really should consider making alternate versions for printing that use more line art and don't have full pages with black backgrounds... jus' sayin'

Last edited by Cellomangler; 01-22-2024 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellomangler View Post
I posted this under another topic as well but thought it was worth repeating here:
I created an alternate PDF version of the ToneDexter II manual for printing that doesn't eat up a bunch of ink. I'm kind of a tightwad about that. I tried to keep all the important stuff legible.
It's a safe download - that's my biz website - FriendlySpider - and I'm the IT guy as well. (Also a reseller for Hostgator.)

https://friendlyspider.com/tonedexter_manual_print.pdf

Enjoy!

PS: AudioSprockets - James - and everyone that makes PDF manuals - since you are not including manuals anymore, you really should consider making alternate versions for printing that use more line art and don't have full pages with black backgrounds... jus' sayin'
Noted, thanks.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 01-09-2024, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Noted, thanks.
Just re-uploaded with a minor page order correction. Feel free to host it at AudioSprockets - not asking for credit or anything.
Old 01-10-2024, 11:37 PM

I have experienced a similar issue although re-booting the unit seemed to get rid of it. Any reply on this from James May?
Old 01-11-2024, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfearing View Post
I have experienced a similar issue although re-booting the unit seemed to get rid of it. Any reply on this from James May?
Your issue is similar to what?

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 01-11-2024, 04:08 PM

Hi All,

I just received my TDII today. Plugged it in, made some wavemaps, still getting used to it, obviously.

Perhaps it's operator error, but I have noticed that when un/muting from the tuner, there is a glitchy sort of noise. Has anyone else experienced this?

Spats.
Old 01-12-2024, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats Davenport View Post
Hi All,

I just received my TDII today. Plugged it in, made some wavemaps, still getting used to it, obviously.

Perhaps it's operator error, but I have noticed that when un/muting from the tuner, there is a glitchy sort of noise. Has anyone else experienced this?

Spats.
I haven't had any noise when I hit the mute/unmute button my TD II. But a few times I've went to switch guitars while muted and get a small pop from the speaker when I unplug. It's only happened a couple times, but it seems it wasn't fully muted as the surge made it's way to the amp. The guitar was muted, so it was only when I unplugged the guitar that I heard anything come out of my PA.
Custom MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor
Old 01-12-2024, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats Davenport View Post
Hi All,

Spats.
I haven't but I did have problems with the training process not advancing as it should have done. A Factory Reset of the ToneDexter II has the device now functioning as designed. If you encounter any glitches when using ToneDexter II, I'd suggest contacting James for his input and instructions on solving the issue including a possible Factory Reset of the device. No doubt, each update of the software will iron out any issues as they arise for users.
Adamas MD80 NWT
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-12-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschroeder View Post
I haven't had any noise when I hit the mute/unmute button my TD II. But a few times I've went to switch guitars while muted and get a small pop from the speaker when I unplug. It's only happened a couple times, but it seems it wasn't fully muted as the surge made it's way to the amp. The guitar was muted, so it was only when I unplugged the guitar that I heard anything come out of my PA.
Thanks for the info. I have exactly the same issue it - it can pick up grounding noise from my hand when I touch the tip, but when plugged in, the guitar is killed completely.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification