The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-12-2024, 12:16 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

The installation is not very different than a Baggs or Fishman, sound hole mounted control system.

The difference is the saddle must be fit. On guitars without enough string height, or have Had their bridges cut down to lower the saddle it could be the saddle slot would need to be
made deeper. This is a task that should be done by an experienced Person.

But, if the saddle is removed and measured, the best way to measure is too acquire a inexpensive digital caliper which can be found on amazon for $10, I will cut you a saddle to install.

Measure the height of the saddle on both E strings and the width and length. Most guitars have a 16 inch radius but in some cases measuring the D and G provides a better radius accuracy.

I can shape the saddle and send you a saddle that is drop -in.

The saddle can be thinned to .1 inches which is the Martin saddle width.

We also provide a drill guide to aid in locating and drilling the 2 holes for the Ribbon cables.

We have tried to make DIY installations accessible to end users.
Old 02-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I'm not sure what you question is. In the clip I posted, the guitar was plugged directly into a stage DI box that went to the house mixing board. It's a digital board, and the sound person has controls for EQ and FX on her I-pad. But I just took a 1/4" out of my guitar into her DI box with nothing between.
That is what I thought.

The signal from the guitar is already well engineer. It can be enhanced, but re engineering is not necessary, or it may become over processed.

I have installed systems in too many guitars and I can attest to the outcome being dependent on the sound of the guitar it is installed in.
Old 02-12-2024, 12:25 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

This is the system Marshall installed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg processed.jpg (48.9 KB, 110 views)
Old 02-12-2024, 12:37 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Here is the Element direct signal compared to Go AA

This ****ed, youtube insert, tool is garbage

I copy the link and insert it as defined between each bracket

Terrible programing

I tell you what. I will post the videos on the Café

Then send the link to view them

Last edited by conecaster; 03-27-2024 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 12:45 AM
Charter Member

Here's your video embedded. You need to only use the code in the url, not the full url:

Old 02-12-2024, 12:50 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Thanks you doug,

They should program that in

The guitar has very old strings, that is intentional.

The Element is muddy and a bit duller

The Go AA has clarity even with dead strings.
Old 02-12-2024, 12:58 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Here is another example

This is an older video from 2019

This is one of my guitars equipped with Graph tech pickups (we did not introduce the single saddle Go AA pickup until 2021) it has a side mounted EQ. There is no mike in this guitar.

https://youtu.be/IdGjcZWBhh4?si=wUTiVXNO5PCPK2lB
Old 02-12-2024, 01:05 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

And this is Jack Pearson.

A great great guitarist I have long admired.

I showed this because Jack is a side master who could never played slide on amplified acoustics before he acquired Go AA.

Last edited by conecaster; 02-12-2024 at 01:11 AM.
Old 02-17-2024, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Here's another update:

I installed another GO AA in a second guitar. The process went much more smoothly as I have experience with the pickup install process.

The first one I installed, I was inside the guitar 5 or six times hunting down issues. Finally, Paul had sent me a replacement saddle pickup as I was having a problem getting a signal from the G string. Might have been something I did with that cables that caused the problem. Any rate, Paul gave me another saddle pickup and that worked fine.

Here's another cell phone clip (same song as before) performed at another open mic with the 2nd saddle in the first guitar. The guitar is plugged directly into the hosts EV 50 PA system. Nothing else. The host plays a little electric guitar accompaniment

https://soundcloud.com/marshallsongs...social_sharing

Like I said the install on the 2nd guitar went well. Much more simple for me. I did have to adjust the string balance as the A string was weaker than other strings. But I was able to use the balance wheels on the circuit board to get a good signal on that string as well without removing strings. But I have found when plugged into my home amp (Genzler Acoustic Array Pro) that there's a small background hum. Paul has some suggestions for me on how to track that down, but I'm going to play it out some first before I go back into surgery on the guitar.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:42 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

I just got feedback from a new DIY installer.

He has a Taylor that had any ES2. He acquired our Taylor ES replacement system that mounts in place of the Taylor preamp. The 3 post es2 pickup is removed and we provide a 3 post plug to replace it.

He could not stand the ES2 sound. He had no issue following our instructions and easily got the replacement installed. He admitted he was nervous drilling the 2 cable holes through the top but trusted out drill guide and drill bit we provide.

He has offered to make a recording in his studio to show its sound. Perhaps I will post it here.

We have had a number of clients install the TAylor ES replacements recently. I feel like it is the easiest to install.

I personally follow through with any installation issues and ensure the systems are 100%.

For guitarists to have the ability to tweak and perfect the use of the system adds a lot to their experience.

https://www.goacousticaudio.com/prod...acement-system

Last edited by conecaster; 02-18-2024 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Hello boyz and goilz. Sitting at another open mic in a brewery. In about a half hour I’ll go up with my 2nd guitar with a GO AA. I doubt I’ll get a clip, but I’ll give you an honest report. About the guitar and the beer.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

The Eastman with the GO AA did well last night. I received compliments for other guitar players on the sound. The A string is still weaker than the rest. I'm heading out of town for a week, so I don't intend to fiddle with the controls any for a while. It's a slightly involved process as the string controls are on the cct board at the end pin. I didn't notice any hum in the house system. And I'll probably get a gig from the brewery from last night's performance.

There is still some piezo edginess in the amplified sound. Nowhere near what a UST would have. Much more natural. But I think there's room to try to make an IR for a pedal that I could use for an extended gig that would be even better.

But all that is a couple weeks away.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:25 PM
Go Acoustic Audio

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
The Eastman with the GO AA did well last night. I received compliments for other guitar players on the sound. The A string is still weaker than the rest. I'm heading out of town for a week, so I don't intend to fiddle with the controls any for a while. It's a slightly involved process as the string controls are on the cct board at the end pin. I didn't notice any hum in the house system. And I'll probably get a gig from the brewery from last night's performance.

There is still some piezo edginess in the amplified sound. Nowhere near what a UST would have. Much more natural. But I think there's room to try to make an IR for a pedal that I could use for an extended gig that would be even better.

But all that is a couple weeks away.
We have been trying to find the right amount of cut for the low pass filtering.

We has less brightness but found many complained it was not bright enough. The south American players want more more more. We may need to design the preamp with a low pass switch to set it either the brighter or less bright filtering.

But its also the nature of the guitar its installed in.

On other systems we have controls for tweaking highs. The ES replacement has a treble sweep.

If you want we can cut some of the edge out.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

As an update for those who are concerned, I'm still having a minor (but annoying) problem with the GO AA in my Eastman guitar. I have been in and out of the guitar 5 or 6 times adjusting things. And I am still unable to get one string (5th A string) to sound. Paul McGill has been very responsive. But this is not an installation for the faint of heart. It takes a lot of finagling to get it up and running righteously.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

That being said; I played a 3 hr gig last Friday, and went to an open mic last night and got a GREAT sound from the guitar and pickup going through a NUX Optima Air pedal into the house PA. The overall character of the guitar sound was terrific. And I had people comment on it last night. Plus I let another guy with a regular piezo pickup go thru the NUX, and it helped his sound. But not as good as the Go AA. Paul McG and I are communicating and he assures me we'll get the weak string problem worked out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification