The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-12-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
Hermida has suffered from bad customer service for along time, and it has gotten worse. They kept accepting orders and got farther and farther behind. I know someone who paid upfront for a ZenDrive in October and just got it last week. That is ridiculous! I didn't wait half that time for my custom Fargen amp! It is too bad, cause the Zen is hands down at the top of the transparent OD lineup. I suspect the prices will climb for used ones....Enjoy your Great pedal.!
Very unfortunate that the customer service is lacking. In my humble opinion, the Zendrive should be a heck of a lot more common/popular. Of course, the ebay prices and bidding wars would probably demonstrate that some guys really like it.

I started getting back into guitar about a year and a half ago after many years on bass exclusively. I picked up a Carr Rambler. Off and on, I began looking for something with a Larry Carlton/Robben Ford vibe. Clicked on the Hermida's sound clips and youtube and it would seem that it was the exact pedal I wanted. Tried out a few others, but none of them seemed to have that specific tone.

Despite the higher price, I'm very happy with the tone and it's not going anywhere! My Tele and T5 sound really nice with it. Definitely worth the effort. After a few minutes, I knew the pedal nailed exactly what I was looking for.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:20 PM

Has anyone played Holdsworth's OD/boost pedal? Sure, it's probably a tad more expensive than it should be. I probably want it more for the fat boost function and admit that I've always enjoyed the odd things about Holdsworth's tone.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:26 PM

BOSS RV-3 Digital Reverb/Delay.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:35 AM

I just picked up a TC Electronic Flashback Delay X4 Delay/Looper pedal......very cool pedal indeed.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:36 AM
.tom the übergeek

I just got the Flashback x4 too. It is nice.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:16 AM

Default what's your favorite pedal?

I love all my electro harmonix and tc electronic. Pedals, guess my memory man is my favorite or maybe the holy grail
Old 05-02-2013, 03:47 AM

So far I've found my Carl Martin Classic Opto-Compressor to be a terrific effect. It is quiet and versatile. I mostly use it to provide a wonderfully subtle transparency and presence to my sound or occasionally I tweak the gain knob to fatten things up a bit.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

So far it's the analog man sunlion. Just got 2 barefoots in the mail today, Ppf and pale green comp #3. Too early to tell about them, but the comp is very subtle.
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 05-02-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkham13 View Post
So far it's the analog man sunlion. Just got 2 barefoots in the mail today, Ppf and pale green comp #3. Too early to tell about them, but the comp is very subtle.
What kind of pedal is the sunlion? And the Barefoots?
Old 05-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

I'm currently looking after a Mad Professor Snow White AutoWah for a friend. I'm strongly tempted to ignore any requests for its return...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-17-2013, 12:03 PM

Picked up the Holdsworth pedal. I'm digging the clean boost function.
Pro: OD sounds like Holdsowrth
Con: OD sounds like Holdsworth

Also found my old Marshall Drive Master.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Picked up the Holdsworth pedal. I'm digging the clean boost function.
Pro: OD sounds like Holdsowrth
Con: OD sounds like Holdsworth

Also found my old Marshall Drive Master.
LOL. How's the Drive Master? When you say "old", are you going back a couple of decades - I'm not familiar with it.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
LOL. How's the Drive Master? When you say "old", are you going back a couple of decades - I'm not familiar with it.
I'm glad someone understood the Holdsworth joke. Not very versatile of an overdrive, but I knew that prior to buying it.

The Marshall pedal was sold in the early 90's, basically Marshall's amp distortion in pedal form. I think I got mine in '97 or so for maybe $20 or so. They seem to be selling for a good chunk of change on eBay. It's basically a tube screamer with a 3 band EQ. To my ears, it seems a tad more crunchy than the average OD. The pots were notoriously hard to turn and prone to problems. The plastic battery panel was known for breaking easily. A few years after I got it, I had switched to processor units and eventually transitioned to bass.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:27 AM

For me pedals come and go but a great clean sound is always a must. I am using a Vanamps reverbamate spring reverb with great success and also like my HBE CPR compressor which adds to the clean sound. That plus a single coil guitar and a 40 watt amp is all I really need to play electric. Seems the older I get (63) the less I lean on the pedals and mostly just plug in without anything except reverb.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

The sun lion is a dual pedal with a range master style boost I think it's called on the left, sort of a clean boost that can be tweaked to boost treble or bass, and a great germanium fuzz on the right that works well with the boost, or alone, or with other pedals. The fuzz is the heart of the pedal and can be purchased alone in the form of a sunface. The sun lion was an old pedal by the company that has been reinvigorated lately. The fuzz can be purchased with different types of germanium or silicon transistors, mine is a germanium red 275 known to be very clean and low gain, great for single coils, plenty of fuzz available but does not alter your clean tones or take away any highs, or cut lows. My setup, and I am a beginner, is all about clean strat tones through a clean fender amp, and any pedal that muddies the waters is not going to be invited to the party. The other pedals I mentioned are a fuzz and a compressor, and bearfoot f x is worth googling or checking on the gear page. The sunlion is still my favorite pedal.
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars