The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-01-2005, 04:11 PM

Default I'm going to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmacneill
Mapletrees, you either get the Strat mythos or you don't. The EJ is a brand new 1957 -- and that either sends chills up your spine or it doesn't.

But if you ever do get the chance (assuming you can still find one) take one into a quiet room and just play it like you would an acoustic for awhile -- then plug it into a good sub-60 watt all-tube amp turned about halfway up. If all that doesn't set your pulse racing and your hands fumbling for your wallet, this guitar isn't for you.
...I'm going to have to try one of these... they've been getting rave reviews, I'm interested in checking out the pickups and neck profile. The neck sounds like a good one... that's pretty much the profile I get from USACG - medium/large V to C shape, 6105 frets, 12" radius, 1-11/16 nut. Do you know what the nut width is on the EJ?
Old 12-01-2005, 04:30 PM

It's 1-5/8, but feels like 1-11/16 due to the skinny strings -- at least to me it does. Both my acoustics are 1-11/16 and moving between electric and acoustic is completely effortless -- no transition time at all.

The EJ neck is the most acoustic-like neck on any Fender I've ever played -- just one more reason I love it so. I've even gone to a heavier electric stringset (.011-.048) to make it even more like my other instruments.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmacneill
Mapletrees, you either get the Strat mythos or you don't. The EJ is a brand new 1957 -- and that either sends chills up your spine or it doesn't.
well, I do like Strats...

the issue to me is cost once you get beyond the basic workhorse model....

seems like a lot of hype here...

it's as if some marketing committee got together and said "gee, do you think we can sell yesterday's products at tomorrow's prices?" and the 'artist' and 'vintage' craze was born....

Gibson does it too.....(the whole re-issue thang)...outrageous prices...

again, not arguing with the quality of the product.....just the price....

oh well...to each their own...
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 12-01-2005, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapletrees
well, I do like Strats...

the issue to me is cost once you get beyond the basic workhorse model....

seems like a lot of hype here...

it's as if some marketing committee got together and said "gee, do you think we can sell yesterday's products at tomorrow's prices?" and the 'artist' and 'vintage' craze was born....

Gibson does it too.....(the whole re-issue thang)...outrageous prices...

again, not arguing with the quality of the product.....just the price....

oh well...to each their own...
The issue is definitely always $$$. However, that will hold true for any special, limited & custom guitar. I have a '74 strat and I'm very happy with it. I played knock-offs and newer stock Fender's, but nothing came close. On the other hand, a friend of mine, bought custom shop LP standard and I tell you, it's one of the best LP's I played.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:30 PM

Unless you're hell bent on a strat body, check out Reverend and Jerry Jones....MIA guitars that sound as good as anyones, plus you don't see yourself coming and going due to the amount of strat and strat knockoffs out there.

Reverend and Jerry Jones are right in that price level as well. Just something to consider.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:42 AM

I think in this $700 price range, G&L just RULES. G&Ls are very well made, and may simply be one of the best VALUES in the market today. I'm an old-timer with 40 years in the music biz: touring, club gigs, recording--and I sold my vintage Strats and Teles years ago. I bought my first G&L about 14 years ago. I now own 15 G&Ls. I like them, they work for me--and I do mean "work".

G&L IS George Fullerton (the "G"), and Leo Fender (the "L"). This is the company Leo started after he sold Fender to CBS in the Sixties. And the G&L designs are the result of Leo's tinkering, and making a number of improvements in his original designs. Leo worked with the players, and corrected a lot of faults inherent in the original Strat design. Better tuners, better bridge, better pickups, better vibrato, better tone controls, bigger frets, a better and more durable finish, and many other changes. Even the strap buttons were improved! (The beauty is in the details!)

One of my local stores got in the new Fender Eric Johnson Strat and few months ago, and I agree--it is a nice guitar. I got to play it for a bit, and then I went out to my car and brought in my G&L S-500. The alder body of the EJ Strat has a nice acoustic resonance, but the grain of the S-500s swamp ash body is simply beautiful. Plugged in, the S-500 has a much more versatile tone system, with more switching options--all useable. The pickups are very high output, with solid bass and clean trebles. Especially with mid-gain settings, the S-500 has a much more aggressive, in-your-face tone--perfect for Texas blues.

And when the smoke cleared from this shootout, everyone agreed that these were two very fine guitars; and that the new Fender would be a big seller. Opinions were split pretty much 50/50 among the sales staff who played both guitars. What no one could believe was that the LIST Price of the G&L S-500 was several hundred dollars less than the STREET Price of the EJ Strat!!! And, my S-500 has a couple of custom extra cost options, that I ordered from the factory. Indeed, G&L IS very much a "Custom Shop".

What has bothered me most about this particular thread, has been some of the comments about the various brands, and not just G&L; with people spouting off opinions, without any first-hand knowledge and claiming it to be factual.

Personally, I wouldn't do a kit, but then, I don't really have the finishing skills to make it look professional--or the patience. I'm a guitar player, not a wood worker.

The bottom line is that there are a lot of guitars out there. Look at G&L, Godin, Ibanez, Carvin, Peavey, Hamer, Schecter. Of these, G&L and Hamer are USA-made, and offer great value. Hamer does instruments more in the Gibson vein. Carvin offers some amazing instruments, and they are built to order. I have several Ibanez instruments--they offer a tremendous variety of instruments, and the ones I have are very well built. Schecter is rapidly gaining ground, especially among younger players--their C-1 Series is VERY attractive for the money. Epiphone is another good company. Their offerings are mostly clones of their parent Gibson models. Their made-in-Japan Elitist Series are very much pro-quality. And don't forget G&L's import line from Korea: the Tributes. I like these much better than the MIM Fenders.

And if YOU like them, there's nothing wrong with the Fenders. One of my favorites is the Deluxe American Standard, but then your're getting a bit over that price limit. You are going to have to play a bunch of guitars and find the one that makes you play over your head and light the fire of your creativity.

Good Luck.

Bill
Old 12-06-2005, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Actually, the company Leo Fender Founded (in the 70's) after selling off Fender was Music Man. Music Man made both guitars and amps. He later sold Music Man to Ernie Ball. G&L came later.

Trivia question: Why did Leo sell Fender?

drive-south
Old 12-06-2005, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebill
I have several Ibanez instruments--they offer a tremendous variety of instruments, and the ones I have are very well built. Bill
My primary gig axe right now is an Ibanez Artcore AM-73, this is their small bodied ES-335 copy. The Ibanez Artcore series is great, GREAT bang fer buck. I bought the guitar for chump change, and swapped out the pickups for a set of GFS Filtertron copies that I got on Ebay (for a great price as well)... I LOVE this guitar... love it so much I'm buying another to keep it company... probably an AFS75t. The G&L's are sweet, I love the Fullerton strat, and the ASAT Specials are also incredible... the pickups just KILL on the ASAT Specials. (In my opinion of course).
Old 12-06-2005, 10:19 AM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south
Trivia question: Why did Leo sell Fender?

drive-south
As I understand it...health issues
Old 12-06-2005, 11:38 AM

If you like chunky necks, I have an exceptional USACG Strat that I could let go for $700. Nice and light and rings like a chime. As others have noted, resale's difficult on these and that price is a few hundred less than what I have in it (Callaham hardware and an exceptionally light one piece body contributing to the total). But if you want a keeper, this is as vibey a Strat as I've played in a good while.

Photos here:

http://photobucket.com/albums/a313/mischultz1/

Best,

Michael

mischultz at bellsouth dot net
Old 12-06-2005, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischultz
If you like chunky necks, I have an exceptional USACG Strat that I could let go for $700. Nice and light and rings like a chime. As others have noted, resale's difficult on these and that price is a few hundred less than what I have in it (Callaham hardware and an exceptionally light one piece body contributing to the total). But if you want a keeper, this is as vibey a Strat as I've played in a good while.

Photos here:

http://photobucket.com/albums/a313/mischultz1/

Best,

Michael

mischultz at bellsouth dot net
Nice strat, nice job! That Callaham HW is good stuff, and Tommy at USACG has the best wood around(on top of being an absolute joy to work with). Also... the ADA Rockets are easily some of my favorite amps... I especially LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Rocket AD-20r... I've been looking for one for a while.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5
Nice strat, nice job! That Callaham HW is good stuff, and Tommy at USACG has the best wood around(on top of being an absolute joy to work with). Also... the ADA Rockets are easily some of my favorite amps... I especially LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Rocket AD-20r... I've been looking for one for a while.
Thanks. I didn't use any kind of filler or sealer, so it has a nice 'old' vibe without being a 'relic' job. More of a sunken finish thing that follows the grain smoothly. If you like wood-tone finishes, WATCO Danish Oil is fabulous: took a dead white body and in two passes gave it that really warm caramel hue.

The Rocket's on the block, too (it's an A10). Cue the monster-truck FM voice: "EVERYTHING MUST GO"...

Michael
Old 12-09-2005, 10:49 AM

Default This one's for Boogie Bill...

This one's for Boogie Bill... I know the original post is for a strat... but G&L makes even better tele's IMO... the ASAT pickups are phenomenal... I was surfing Ebay and found this KILLER ASAT Semi hollow, If I had the cash I would buy this in a Nano-second...

ASAT Semi Hollow

Old 12-09-2005, 04:04 PM

I must admit, that is one fine looking axe.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:16 AM

Yes, that's the ASAT Super. I'm not a ASAT/tele guy, as I prefer the Legacy/S-500/Comanche models--but, these are are gorgeous guitars.

And a guy should have at least one ASAT/tele, right?

Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars