The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: How high does a guitar's cost have to be to be considered 'high-end'?
Above $1000 28 7.41%
Above $2000 54 14.29%
Above $3000 93 24.60%
Above $4000 67 17.72%
Above $5000 79 20.90%
Above $6000 13 3.44%
Above $8000 16 4.23%
$10,000 & above 28 7.41%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2023, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
High end is a relative term. Some have already mentioned that various people have different budgetary ranges, so the dollars-range survey may be more reflective of that, which may be what the OP was after.

As a relative term it's probably most appropriately used in a relative context. Like unto the related term "height." Being twenty floors up and looking out the window in many places would be high up -- but then there are taller buildings yet, and mountains, and airplanes, and orbiting the earth etc.

So, if I buy an Alvarez or Seagull etc and say I considered "high end" instead, meaning a standard series Martin, we understand. If one buys a standard series Martin and says I considered a Collins or something from other pricier builders or a custom order, we nod. If we buy a Collins and say we considered a pre-war Martin collectable, we can say we considered a high end purchase, and again we all will understand.

Well put Frank.

It’s also the environment in which we ask the question. Asking it here on the AGF will elicit a different set of responses to asking it in a group of non-guitar players (or classical musicians trying to afford violins!). And it goes without saying that asking it in a wealthy suburb will be different to asking it in an impoverished suburb etc.

In the context of the AGF I’d say high-end meant the single luthiers and small shops that are in the top 10% of prices paid by the AGF community.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:19 PM

The last time I was in Nashville I had the pleasure to hear at least 15 different bands. I don't think I saw a single guitar that those here would consider 'high-end'.....I saw a lot of Guild, Alvarez, and beat up Gibsons, and each of them sounded great.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

It is the nicest guitar you have that you play the most and play it with your friends.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

I use the terms "high end" and "high dollar." Are those two terms synonymous?

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 04-01-2023, 09:03 AM

What does " Highend " mean to me , probably any Taylor brand guitar because they lack " Lowend "
Old 04-01-2023, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
The last time I was in Nashville I had the pleasure to hear at least 15 different bands. I don't think I saw a single guitar that those here would consider 'high-end'.....I saw a lot of Guild, Alvarez, and beat up Gibsons, and each of them sounded great.

I’ve owned a high end Guild and a high end beat up Gibson for sure.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedexnman View Post
What does " Highend " mean to me , probably any Taylor brand guitar because they lack " Lowend "
Taylor's are expensive, for sure. But I wouldn't consider them high end. I never played one I like.

I've said it many times. I'd love to like one. They're gorgeous.

Just don't sound right to me.
Old 04-01-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Taylor's are expensive, for sure. But I wouldn't consider them high end. I never played one I like.

I've said it many times. I'd love to like one. They're gorgeous.

Just don't sound right to me.
Drink some more coffee , you didn't catch my joke ....
Old 04-01-2023, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

IMO "high end" denotes a custom made boutique instrument.

An Olson,Applegate,Somogyi etc.

Those have an entry point of $8K.

Is a $10,000 Martin "high end".Not in my view,

This category should be one wherein the customer has direct contact with the builder.It should be a much more personal experience.Having an intermediary dealer arranging a custom order with a corporation is not "high end" IMO...

Taylor and Martin produce "entry" instruments with their names on the headstock.

Their idea is to lure customers to purchasing the "name":"Yeah, I also own a Martin! (X series....).

Steinway is "high end".They also sell entry and moderately priced pianos.Thise don't bear the Steinway name but are the Essex and Boston series,maintaining the "high end"image received for the Steinway name...
Old 04-01-2023, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post

This category should be one wherein the customer has direct contact with the builder.It should be a much more personal experience.Having an intermediary dealer arranging a custom order with a corporation is not "high end" IMO...

Taylor and Martin produce "entry" instruments with their names on the headstock.

Their idea is to lure customers to purchasing the "name":"Yeah, I also own a Martin! (X series....).

Steinway is "high end".They also sell entry and moderately priced pianos.Thise don't bear the Steinway name but are the Essex and Boston series,maintaining the "high end"image received for the Steinway name...
Assuming the category that comes before high-end is mid-range, then it seems an awfully high amount of guitars produced fit in the middle. Basically by your definition I would surmise 40% of guitars are budget/low-end, 59% are mid-range and less than 1% are high-end. Doesn’t look quite right to me.

Old 04-01-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post

I think this definition is way too elite. For most people, high-end denotes 'professional standard.' There was one boy at my school who, it was rumoured, owned a Telecaster rather than a Yammy or good copy (which were already pretty high end for us!). In my book, if you have a standard series Martin, Taylor, Larrivee, Gibson, Japanese Takamine, Lakewood, etc., you've hit the high end. You're playing the kinds of guitars that pros use onstage and in the studio. Al di Meola used to play an off-the-wall Ovation Custom Legend and a Godin Nylon Multiac onstage. High end guitars.
Old 04-01-2023, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Dollarwise I said $5,000 and above, but you can get a lot of guitar for $2,000+

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 04-01-2023, 11:04 AM

Seems like “high end” ($1,000 and up, with lots of focus around $2K - $5K) in the general market is mid-level to many folks here.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/best...oustic-guitars

https://www.guitarworld.com/features...oustic-guitars
Old 04-01-2023, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

The flagship American guitar models is where the "high-end" starts, in my opinion. D-28, 814ce, J-45, etc. . . 3k range.
Old 04-01-2023, 02:21 PM

Luxury is a state of mind.
-L’Wren Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion