The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-10-2024, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndUandI View Post
Ive had a couple mini's and for my style playing (and I have smaller hands) they were cramped
I've already done the saddle thing
Thats already so low.
Perhaps whats left is to change to Elixirs. If it does make it much easier to play, then the cost would be much cheaper than taking a potential loss on a sale.
You can verify that the tension for elixirs are indeed much lower than other strings
https://www.elixirstrings.com/suppor...-tuning-guitar
000JR-10E Shawn Mendes
Old 05-10-2024, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain1231 View Post
Thats already so low.
Perhaps whats left is to change to Elixirs. If it does make it much easier to play, then the cost would be much cheaper than taking a potential loss on a sale.
You can verify that the tension for elixirs are indeed much lower than other strings
I stuck elixr polyweb 11-52 on it yesterday 80/20

im getting convinced its the nut after putting the capo on the first fret and it feels much better
Old 05-10-2024, 03:34 AM

I see, hope the adjustments you did so far has been working out for you. I wouldnt touch the nut myself, so its best to take it to someone to have it adjusted if you arent able to adapt to the guitar!
000JR-10E Shawn Mendes
Old 05-10-2024, 03:36 AM

Quote:
I see, hope the adjustments you did so far has been working out for you. I wouldnt touch the nut myself, so its best to take it to someone to have it adjusted if you arent able to adapt to the guitar!
no way am I touching the nut I'll keep searching for someone in Cleve.. maybe I'll make a new thread like someone suggested
Old 05-10-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndUandI View Post
no way am I touching the nut I'll keep searching for someone in Cleve.. maybe I'll make a new thread like someone suggested
Checking the nut action isn't hard.

Fret a string below f2, there should be small clearance between the string and f1. I'd call ideal 0.003", more than 0.005" too high, less than 0.003" it will likely buzz.

My Fender Strat new was a stupidly high 0.010" clearance, my OM-28 was an agreeable 0.005 (and has worn just a shade tighter in 4 years).
Old 05-10-2024, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Thats already so low.
Action still looks high but maybe it's the angle of the pic. I had a brand new Martin D-18 that needed a neck reset. Martin honored their guarantee but it took 2 months to get it back'
Old 05-10-2024, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

My new D-41 had two strings on then nut cut noticeably higher than the other 4. After a $45 setup the $5200 guitar played WAY better.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-10-2024, 09:08 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

From that pic it definitely looks like there is a possible issue with the neck. Maybe just needs a truss adjustment. Maybe the neck geometry is off. The strings look very high at the end frets.
Old 05-10-2024, 12:28 PM

I had two Martins (D35 and GPC11) and thought I could not find a Martin that could play as good as my Taylors. I was way wrong!!

I bought a Martin 000-28 that played even better, then I bought a used OMJM that must have had a set up because this plays like an electric guitar!!! My favorite guitar now is my Martin OMJM, the neck is so comfortable and the action is so low. My Taylors are not even close to being this comfortable, makes me want to get my Taylors a set up now.

Last edited by egordon99; 05-10-2024 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Deleted quote
Old 05-10-2024, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

If it was my guitar I would

a. check the nut
b. check the neck relief
c. check the neck angle to the body

I won't describe how to do these, but there's nothing complicated about them. I learned how from Frets.com years ago. RIP Frank Ford. You will need a long straightedge for c. I use an 18" steel ruler.

If a and b check out ok then it must be c and you need to have the neck reset. On a cheaper guitar it may not be worth the cost but on a Martin in decent shape I think it would. Going by the pic you posted your saddle shouldn't be sanded any lower IMO.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teherie View Post
Lay’s Guitar Shop has worked on my D35 twice over the years including a partial refret job/tune up during the pandemic. I had to schedule an appointment to drop the guitar off and they did an amazing job at a reasonable price. This guitar now sounds and plays better than it ever has since I bought it new in early 1977. It was worth the 4 hour round trip.

A trip to Lays would be incomplete without a visit upstairs to “The Loft” to sample the vast array of top end acoustic guitars on display.
+1 for Lay's on repairs as well as the Loft!
Old 05-10-2024, 04:20 PM

I’m not saying a post-purchase setup should be necessary but it is with about 99% of guitars. Unless you’ve done that you don’t know how well your guitar will play.
Different manufacturers have different tolerances in their builds and in their final stage but after thousands of guitars through my workshop I can say the ease of play is not about the brand.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKA View Post
I've had many Martins over the years including a D45. I think Martin guitars are wonderful instruments but they hate me! Never got on with them no matter how good the setup. They are just not comfortable for me. I've always found them a struggle to play.

I've never been able to figure out why and wish it wasn't the case but in the end I gave up.
Here's why. There's a dirty little Martin secret: They're not for everyone.

I've had a D-28 and a D35. Both were terrific guitars. Can't say anything bad about either one. Voice, balance, projection — they had it all. But they just didn't suit my style. After over fifty years of recreational playing, I've come to believe:

Gibson = saloon guitar
Guild = party guitar
Martin = porch guitar
Taylor = trendy guitar

Me, I'm a Guild guy.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:57 PM

Default about to give up on my Martin [emoji20]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Here's why. There's a dirty little Martin secret: They're not for everyone.

I've had a D-28 and a D35. Both were terrific guitars. Can't say anything bad about either one. Voice, balance, projection — they had it all. But they just didn't suit my style. After over fifty years of recreational playing, I've come to believe:

Gibson = saloon guitar
Guild = party guitar
Martin = porch guitar
Taylor = trendy guitar

Me, I'm a Guild guy.

Guild is the ________ guitar.

I never would’ve said party guitar.
Old 05-10-2024, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Smile

0.090” is fairly low at the 12th. Check the nut and relief. Along with 1-11/16”, 1.75” nut is just about the most common steel string width out there. People have preferences, but in my mind, we should all be able to get along just fine on 1-3/4” or 1-11/16” so long as the guitar sounds, plays, and looks awesome. Get a set up if you already like the sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion