The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-13-2005, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esau911
Okay, I have another question, now that I've talked to a couple of different salesmen and actually played through a G-Dec for myself...

1: Would I be just about as well off to get a basic little digital amp with no effects, and then add an effects pedal that has some practice stuff?

2: On the G-Dec itself, I only played for a couple of minutes, so I didn't get really familiar with it. My question is, can you get a good, clean, natural sound out of it? I got all kinds of cool effects out of it, but I didn't take the time to find a natural sound. Any advice or experience in this area?

Thanks for the replies so far!
bump......

2003 Taylor 314CE-LTD Koa
2004 Tradition S20 (Les Paul Copy)
1999 Yamaha F-310 (my beaten up beater, but it sounds great for a laminate!)
Old 07-14-2005, 11:05 AM

anyone????

Old 07-14-2005, 01:54 PM

On-board effects are almost always inferior to the effects you can add via pedals. (JC-120 is one obvious exception.. lots of others.)

Also, don't stick with 'brand loyalty' when purchasing your pedals. Go with what sounds best for you. a Ford chorus, a Chevy compressor, a Dodge overdrive, even a Hyundai delay may end up being your choice of sound. Or you may end up with a preference for absolutely nothing between your guitar and your amp - especially if it's a valve amp.

And if your situation can handle it, use batteries on your effects. It's a better chance at a cleaner sound. If you're gigging, then no - batteries may not be your best choice and you'll need wall warts for power.

----------
'09 Les Paul Traditional
'93 "Lucky" Taylor 910 (a.k.a. pawn shop rescue)
'62/'09 Fender AVRI Precision
Old 07-14-2005, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet
... (snip)... And if your situation can handle it, use batteries on your effects. It's a better chance at a cleaner sound. If you're gigging, then no - batteries may not be your best choice and you'll need wall warts for power.
Unless you use a power supply like the Pedal Power 2, or others to power your effects. Any set-up either with wall warts or power supply wil be tedious to set up and take down if you play out with any regularity. Not to mention the constant plugging / unplugging and handling is added wear and tear on connectors, wiring, everything. I would suggest – even with a minimum of effects pedals, consider a pedal board of some kind.

DJanzen
'06 52RI Tele
Old 07-15-2005, 10:26 AM

I like my new addition which is a LINE6 Flextone XLII.
Great solid state combo amp. It gives different amp models for what ever sound you like. The floorboard (an extra) controls volume, you can tune, you can switch amp models and you have a wah-wah.
Plus you can play using ear-phones and record directly into your computer.
Go to the line6 website and check it out.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:50 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchu
Not completely true. you can overdrive this baby and still not wake the neighbors.
1/2 watt tube amp by zvex...
Well, I followed the link to the Zvex Nano Head and WOW! I am totally "cuted" out by this! I'm a sucker for practically anything small and cute, and this thing simply does it. Oh for $425 to throw at an impulse!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-16-2005, 07:09 PM

I ended up buying the Fender G-Dec today, and at a great price... I think I might have gotten the best possible price you can get on a brand new one, and I think I'm going to love it. It's got so many options, that it's going to take some time to get a hold on it all, but this is a really cool little amp!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the input... you guys and gals are great!

Old 07-16-2005, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack
Well, I followed the link to the Zvex Nano Head and WOW!

Bob
I know! I followed the link and watched the videos and saw the pics and checked eBay and.. and.. and.. too cool!

Anyone here tried one of these?

I could set this on the 4x12.. heheh

----------
'09 Les Paul Traditional
'93 "Lucky" Taylor 910 (a.k.a. pawn shop rescue)
'62/'09 Fender AVRI Precision
Old 07-19-2005, 02:03 PM

Update: This thing is a great little amp! For someone like me that will never be in a full-blown band situation, this is great for my living room. It's even got my wife playing the guitar more... I highly recommend this amp for anyone looking for a good practice companion in their living room.

Old 07-26-2005, 09:52 PM

hey,
check on ebay, i just picked up a 100 watt marshall vs100 head for like 200 bucks. the older valvestate series is great, the prices are way down, they have a tube pre-amp with solid state output, ive been ratteling pictures off the wall (literally) with mine and im loving the tone. Oh, and if your looking for a nice cheap amp, i'd try a slightly used peavey, i have an envoy110 and it has a nice wide range of tones from super glassy cleans to out of this world distortion, its 45 watts and you can probably pick it up for around 100 bucks. oh well, maybe you can find some advice in my ramblings.

andrew
Old 11-06-2005, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esau911
Any advice? I'm really not looking to spend a lot of money. Hey, I'm on a preacher's salary!!! *HA*

Thanks in advance!!!!
IMO, it depends of the kind of music you want to play. I have a LINE6 Flextone and when I play my LP, I have all the sounds I need for home playing and recording. Of course, if you want to 'rock out' and blow out a couple of light bulbs, get a Marshall.
BTW, because your LP is a copy, I would look into getting some good pick-ups for the guitar. I would think your stock pick-ups are really not giving you a true LP sound.

Last edited by Bern; 11-06-2005 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:46 PM

Smile My 2 cents

Hmmm...Looks like you've already chosen your amp but, if you find yourself in the same boat again, or looking for another option later on, I have a VOX AD30VT and it's been a very positive experience for me. Just wanted to throw that out there. I have the 30W version, the smallest with the post-power-amp speaker volume. Super tubey tone that I can play in my apartment at 3 a.m.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." -- Theodore Seuss Geisel

'04 Gibson Melody Maker
Ampeg J-20 Jet
Electro-Harmonix Holy Stain
Boss DS-1
Baggs Para D.I.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:16 PM

I don't mean to step on this thread but, since it was mentioned...

If anyone owns that ZVEX Nano Head I'd really like to see someone post a review of it here. I can't believe how cute that thing is! Must...resist....!

1997 914c
Ibanez AG 195
Ibanez Howard Roberts Artist 1976
Edwards E-LP 90 LTS
Van Zandt STV-R2 ('63 strat copy)
VS Strat
Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III (Ebony/Gold)
Domingo Ortega 1a Rio (Cedar/Braz.)
Aria Sinsonido
Old 11-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

This thread has offered a lot of good advise. I would ask the person that started the thread the following:

What kind of music do you like?
Any particular favorite players you would like to emulate tone-wise?

In case anyone hasn't noticed, I'm pretty much a vintage snob, especially when it comes to electric guitar. I play my electrics through a reissue 65 Fender Deluxe Reverb. These are 22watt all-tube amps that have reverb and tremelo. They sound excellant and compare to many of the boutique amps that sells for thousands. I like the Deluxe because it can produce a really sweet tube sound without being too loud. It can do clean or distorted. It's still powerful enough to gig with.

My favorite amps include the Deluxe Reverb (22 watts), Vibralux Reverb (40 watts) or a Vox AC30tb (the classic 30watt amp used by the Beatles and copied by all the boutique builders.

One bit of advise. Never plug an electric guitar directly into a PA system. They just don't generate good electric guitar tone. You need an amp that you can either mic up or line out into the PA.

drive-south

Last edited by drive-south; 11-07-2005 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Not complete
Old 11-16-2005, 12:04 PM

Fender's G-dec sounds like a great pratice amp, I kinda wish I had got that amp instead. I have a Epiphone LP-100 tha my friend gave to me, and I ended up getting a Fender Frontman 25R which is just perfect for jaming and praticing in a bedroom. Then I just added some pedles, like a Boss DS1, probly a fuzz pedle and wah next.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars