The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-08-2024, 05:56 AM

Default Installed a Fishman Matrix Infinity and I hate it -- now what?

I just acquired a Fishman Matrix Infinity and reading your post confirmed what I thought and what you said about half way through your post. It makes an electric guitar sound. Instead of trying a dozen fixes just go out and get a Baggs. I use an iBeam in my Eastman OM and I have the best sound at the open mics. Better than the guys with the really expensive pickups. I also use the Baggs element VTC. It sounds great. The tone control helps me to turn down the gain the sound guys love to drive my set with.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:46 AM

My luthier buddy has offered to install such a pickup for free. (Yes, free) Still it's a $200 unit and I am somewhat put off by these reviews.

My luthier makes his own line of acoustics but none I think are made with a pickup so this would be a special project for him. I asked him installing instead a K&K Pure Mini or similar transducer pickup and he said he hasn't done it but he could also do that for me.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 05-12-2024, 11:17 PM
Go Acoustic Audio

This is an old thread

I hope the sound of our system would be more desirable for you.

This is plugged in direct. No mike, just the pick up played through a Fender 100 acoustic amp

Old 05-13-2024, 01:22 PM

OP, get a K&K mini, and be done with it.

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 05-14-2024, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
Save yourself further disappointment and put in a K&K Pure Mini. There's a very good reason why they are such a popular pickup!
First of all I'm glad you like the pickup and happy with it, but...

Probably the most disappointing pickup I've ever owned, along with their high school metal shop project Pure XLR matching preamp I've had many guitars that they they were in, and I pulled them from each one. And no one that I know that plays professional has kept one in their guitar either, unless they used in conjunction with an ToneDexter or the analog Grace Alix.

But yes I know many people do like them!!!

Funny thing, us guitar players, we all try to skin the same cat in so many different ways.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Ultratonic - James May knows what he’s doing -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification