The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-22-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD2 View Post
Never count Fender out. My 68 Villager 12-string runs circles around any contemporary 12-string. I’ve been offered triple what eBay says it’s worth.
I have a Villager, a Shenandoah, and one I pieced together from a Shenandoah body and a Villager neck.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Looks like Fender's answer to Taylor's T5 series. It even has the five-way switch and two knobs. Makes sense from that perspective. Kinda cool they could do it and keep a Fender vibe about it.
My thoughts exactly until I heard the msrp of the American Acoustasonic Tele...
and considering the aesthetic looks, I prefer the T-5.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 01-22-2019, 09:08 PM

I bought my T5 the week they hit the stores. It’s a thousand dollars more for the same guitar now! Hope that happens with the Acoustasonic too and then some!
Old 01-22-2019, 09:21 PM

Ugh. I just checked the Fender site, and the nut width is 1.6875" (42.86 mm). If they don't wind up offering up a wider version, they will have chased away a lot of players, including me.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:58 PM

A previous incarnation by Fender. Not as Swiss army knife but I like simplicity.

Last edited by printer2; 01-23-2019 at 07:33 AM. Reason: just added the comment
Old 01-23-2019, 04:19 AM

It does nothing for me however I imagine Taylor Swift will be holding one on stage soon.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:21 AM

This is intriguing, I hope to get the chance to review one of these...
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Honestly, it's somewhat upsetting to me that just because this is made by Fender, it automatically gets so much attention. However, then there's Godin, a company that has been innovating for years, yet they don't always get the praise. Godin is popular but their Multiac guitars are incredible and many of them use the Fishman/Spectrum set up with a humbucker pickup. They are usable and serve a purpose, this Fender model just seems like a novelty item.
A lot of the appeal most likely stems from the Telecaster connection, and not "because it's a Fender". (I'm a Fender Tele owner, and they've made a lot of really bad guitars...).

Anyone who's made the Telecaster connection knows what I'm referring to; there's something about the feel of a Tele that just doesn't come through in many other electric guitars. I'm not deeply in love with the idea of compromising the Tele aesthetic by trying to electronically turn it into an acoustic guitar, but there's some appeal to it strictly because it IS a Tele.

I can see where it would prove "handy" as a performance guitar, but a good acoustic certainly sounds better and I'd much prefer my Thinline Tele with Texas Specials over the single pickup bucker that's demonstrated. It doesn't do either very well, but it will have some who like it.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

I think it's targeted more of Millennials who is creative and one-man-does-everything kinda musician's. I think with some pedal like Line 6 HX stomp/ helix will get benefit out of each other.

great concept and marketing tho.

well, I am mid 40s and I don't think I would get one..

I rather have two separate guitars and I don't like the simulation of guitar sound...

maybe I will be the 10% who resist get hybrid guitar like this.

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 01-23-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moga View Post
I think it's targeted more of Millennials who is creative and one-man-does-everything kinda musician's. I think with some pedal like Line 6 HX stomp/ helix will get benefit out of each other.

great concept and marketing tho.

well, I am mid 40s and I don't think I would get one..

I rather have two separate guitars and I don't like the simulation of guitar sound...

maybe I will be the 10% who resist get hybrid guitar like this.
Acoustic and electric guitar in the same song has hardly a Millennial phenomenon. Given your age bracket, I'd imagine there are more than a few 90's alternative songs that fit this criteria.

I'd rather have both, but I don't necessarily want to lug 1-2 electrics, an amp, pedal board, and a bulky acoustic everywhere.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfreek View Post
It does nothing for me however I imagine Taylor Swift will be holding one on stage soon.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneThing View Post
I bought one today. Why not, it’s only money and I’ll make more.

I own a couple of fine acoustics and I didn’t get this to replace them. Of course not! I play because I love to and It’s loads of fun. I’m an artist and my guitars, amps and effects are my palette. When I’m inspired I play even better. I often play the lead role with other musicians and this guitar will be fun for that. I wouldn’t have bought it if I only played at home, I prefer a dreadnaught for that, but I’m sure to have fun playing it live!

I have a T5 too, but the T5 definitely leans more electric. This will be a better fit for my style.
Who is selling them?
Old 01-23-2019, 04:15 PM

I've been in touch with Sweetwater about this. They were up on their site yesterday (as well as on MF and elsewhere) but for some reason Fender didn't want website sales to begin until tomorrow so they were taken down. They should be back up some time tomorrow.

Why Fender played it this way after launching a marketing blitz on Tuesday I have no idea, and neither does my sales rep. That said, these and other retailers do have them in stock and you can order one over the phone, like I did. Arrives Friday!

Last edited by jparis51; 01-23-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparis51 View Post
you can order one over the phone, like I did. Arrives Friday!
Please report your first impressions (and pics!). I’m seriously jonesing for one of these. I turned on the andertons demo at work today and minimized the browser and really loved what I was hearing.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 01-23-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
Please report your first impressions (and pics!). I’m seriously jonesing for one of these. I turned on the andertons demo at work today and minimized the browser and really loved what I was hearing.
I did too, and will report!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars