The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-28-2023, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickv6 View Post
Wow,.....just wow
Two more favorites, possibly her first on classical, and then what some would arguably call her best. All of her earliest performances had her reading her parts, then finally memorizing them all in later years.
Tina S (2007, 8 ans) - Désirée - Maria Linnemann
Tina Setkovic - Gary Moore - The Loner
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 03-28-2023, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7 View Post
My Achilles heel is playing single notes with a pick. I can do it with my fingers, but for an electric I'm going to need to be able to play single notes cleanly with a pick.
I just started working on playing lead without a pick when I noticed both Steve Vai and Joe Bonamassa using their thumb and index finger in much the same way as you would attack with a pick. It's a different sound to be sure, but I'll play solos a lot of the time now, both on stage or at band practice, without a pick, usually if I started playing the rhythm parts that way.

Check out Matteo Mancuso - Tribute to Jeff Beck solo playing as he always does, with no pick. Something that Jeff Beck himself adopted in his later years.
Old 03-29-2023, 06:46 PM

I find I can be more "expressive" when playing without a pick. When I got my first new guitar, an acoustic 12-string, I really tried hard to use a pick. A lot of strings and a guitar that didn't project well were the driving factors for that. But I found picks have lives of their own, and they tend to jump out of my hand all the time, and at the worst time.

Electrics, by comparison, are easier to play. Thinner strings and the projection coming out of a speaker lets me use my bare fingers, à la Jeff Beck (if only I could play like him!). When I was younger, I became enthralled with the "ringing" tones Jerry Garcia would frequently play. I learned how to mimic that by using the fingernail on my index finger in sharp downstrokes. By shifting how I use my right (strumming/picking) hand, I can produce a whole bevy of sounds. Pickups, selector switches and pedals give me an entire arsenal of sound. Without using a pick.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

My neighbor sent me this link:

https://www.coffeebreakgrooves.com/genres/blues/1

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 03-29-2023, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
I find I can be more "expressive" when playing without a pick.

Thinner strings and the projection coming out of a speaker lets me use my bare fingers, à la Jeff Beck... When I was younger, I became enthralled with the "ringing" tones Jerry Garcia would frequently play. I learned how to mimic that by using the fingernail on my index finger in sharp downstrokes. By shifting how I use my right (strumming/picking) hand, I can produce a whole bevy of sounds.
They're both just tools in our search for the sounds in our heads, but being a very big fan (starting about 5 years ago) of playing without a pick at all, including rock soloing, I'll still prefer a pick most of the time. Still, if I drop a pick during a solo, I just keep going because I'm no longer crippled.

I may be the only one here, but I never liked Jeff Beck's new found tone once he went pick-less, and far prefer how Steve Vai and Joe Bonamassa don't have a noticeably unique tonality when they're not using a pick. Possibly due to the difference in technique, whereby they're both using the thumb and index finger much as you'd use a pick, while Beck seemed to have transitioned over to a downward sweeping/brushing motion.

Then the fingernail thing; always have used that and really impossible to get that tone any other way.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
Then the fingernail thing; always have used that and really impossible to get that tone any other way.
I have never mastered the ability to go between using a pick and using fingers during the same song. I've seen others do it (sort of cupping the pick in the palm of the hand). For me, this is just an invitation to a flying pick.

So, I leave the picks on the table.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:19 AM
Guest 61722

Hello!

When I finally do get my paws on an electric guitar, I will, of course, try playing it every possible way - pick, no pick, possibly teeth(?) like Jimi Hendrix??? LOL.
Old 04-02-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
When I finally do get my paws on an electric guitar, I will, of course, try playing it every possible way...
Quote:
Here's girl from France who started out on classical when she was about 8, and just kept going from there. Look at the 3-7th fret reach she's got on that first song, not to mention using more than one finger on right hand tapping, let alone memorizing that whole second piece.

Tina S - Living on a Prayer

Tina S - Moonlight Sonata (3rd movement)
Quote:
Two more favorites, possibly her first on classical, and then what some would arguably call her best. All of her earliest performances had her reading her parts, then finally memorizing them all in later years.
Tina S (2007, 8 ans) - Désirée - Maria Linnemann
Tina Setkovic - Gary Moore - The Loner
Quote:
I just started working on playing lead without a pick when I noticed both Steve Vai and Joe Bonamassa using their thumb and index finger in much the same way as you would attack with a pick. It's a different sound to be sure, but I'll play solos a lot of the time now, both on stage or at band practice, without a pick, usually if I started playing the rhythm parts that way.

Check out Matteo Mancuso - Tribute to Jeff Beck solo playing as he always does, with no pick. Something that Jeff Beck himself adopted in his later years.
Hi Janine, it looks like you missed these posts that I thought should be of interest to you. I think all of the individual videos I posted links for directly address a few of the points you've made in the thread so far and I'd been hoping to hear your reactions to them.
I also think you'll find them enjoyable too.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:40 AM
Guest 61722

Hi Nama,

Sorry I missed some of these. I was out of town for a few days. Tina is a real virtouso! Matteo as well.

Thank you for posting these.

Janine
Old 04-02-2023, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Tina is a real virtuoso! Matteo as well. Thank you for posting these.
Here's another from Matteo and I enjoy his playing even more seeing how well grounded and humble he is. He really takes you through his way of thinking that has led to his playing style. That first interviewer is pretty annoying, with his focus on trying to force Matteo into referring to his fingers as other than index, middle and ring, but it's still a fantastic video.
By the way, had you already seen all of these before?

Matteo Mancuso: Game Changer Finger Style - Tutorial through Interviews

Last edited by Nama Ensou; 04-02-2023 at 10:48 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars