The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-15-2022, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

For me, I am lucky to have a local store that has a great guitar tech person, and the store owner who also does it. I think what makes the difference is when you are dealing with a place or person that will listen to what you have to say and how you want it. Trust is a big issue for me anyways, but I feel I can trust the staff at where I go to do what I need done.
Old 12-16-2022, 04:55 AM

I can adjust a truss rod. I have nut files too. Have been meaning to go deeper with the slots on an Eastman electric. I'm a-scared though. Sanding saddles also no big deal, depending on the guitar.
There is something to be said about having work done by a qualified person who has done hundreds of them.

When I was young and stupid(-er) I did fret jobs on my '68 strat, and a D-28. I remember the fretboard on the D28 completely separated from the neckoff as I pounded the frets in because the tangs were too wide and were creating a back bow in the fretboard. I remember thinking they were a bit tough going in... So I used epoxy and wrapped the neck with a bicycle tube for the clamping action; actually not a bad idea...
Fun times.
Old 12-16-2022, 05:23 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Let's face it: guitarists can have some big egos and there are all kinds and grades of guitar techs out there. Your job with guitar store techs is to figure out whether you've got a real, knowledgeable guy who has trained in or studied luthiery or just the guitar player on staff who is the bull ego and thinks he knows everything. Of course, there are all sorts of shades in between and I've experienced them.

My luthier served as the house tech for a couple of stores in the area before going independent. Before that he was the neck and action luthier for a boutique guitar brand. I am fortunate to have such a creature available outside one of the music centers in the U.S. He left his job at the guitar builder's bench back at the end of the '80s to come home and take care of his ageing parents and I have been the beneficiary of his skills ever since.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-18-2022, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
I’ll call you out on that “store techs for me are terrible” line.

I acknowledge you wrote “for me” and it’s just your experience but there ARE good techs who happen to work through a music store. I’m one. My local store uses 2 techs and we’re both very good at our work, and take pride.

If a “store tech” makes no effort to consult with a customer on their setup requirements some setups will be less than ideal - maybe still excellent but not customised and that does matter - but it does not mean there is no way around the inherent lack of face to face or that the tech is not as good as they get.

I have sat with customers in store and explained aspects and processes and I’ll follow up if a resulting set up is not as they hoped. Any minor adjustments that may be needed are relatively quick and easy. Some customers come to the store with no idea other than they played a friend’s guitar and want theirs like that, or they want their other guitars just like the first one. A store front can be a convenient way for newer players to be introduced to possibilities when they’ve never even heard of a guitar tech or luthier.

If a kid who almost knows how to change strings is their tech I do not disagree with your sentiment.

Awesome ! I did say there are some out there that care more then others . We need more like you out there .

My experience is definitely not everyone’s at the same time there’s seems/seemed to be a lack of techs around . At least it was years ago not sure now. I don’t look for techs anymore but it would be nice to have a go to around my area .

My local’ish luthier is booked up for months and prices have gone through the roof .

Russ , I’m happy you have a good work ethic and care about what you do . Keep up the good work sir ! [emoji4][emoji847]

-----------
Acoustics,
Ben Wilborn Gloria
Breedlove Ed Gerhard signature master class jumbo
Blueridge BR180A
Blueridge BR 283A
Blueridge BR180-12
Guild F212XLCE
Guild CV-1
Guild CO-2CE
Recording king RO-328
-----------
Old 12-22-2022, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmckenna45 View Post
So - what do you consider a "Good professional setup" for an acoustic guitar?

A good professional setup is most important. It can improve you playing abilities up to 100%. Especially on an acoustic guitar with hard and stiff steel strings. It is your hands. It is your senses. You are feeling the setup. Not someone else. Therefore you should learn to setup your instrument yourself.

Many parameters are in play e.g.

1) Nut shape
2) Nut string alignment
3) Nut string height
4) Nut sauce
5) Neck Finish
6) Neck shape
7) Fret edges
8) Fret level
9) Saddle type
10) Saddle height
11) String height
12) Truss rod tension
13) String buzz
etc...

So doing a good setup is really a hard problem.
My best tip is to start and learn how to control the 3) Nut string height.
Taking control here is most important for playability and sound. There is nothing like a perfect slotted nut. For that you may need tools like these:
https://www.thomann.de/dk/harley_ben...tion_gauge.htm
https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...dge-nut-files/

Good luck

Follow Me on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwR...J_vozU3kGd_YUA
Old 12-22-2022, 06:04 AM

A good setup: nut, relief, action.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
frets, set up, set up specs, truss rod