The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-06-2024, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
Is there a correlation between thickness of instrument cables and their sound quality?
Are the thicker ones better? More durable?
Or it depends more on a cable brand?

Do you use rather stiff instrument cables or flexible ones?
No correlation whatsoever, as you've already read.

1. Sound quality: capacitance per foot: lower the number means more highs. Not "better," more highs. You pay more for cables with lower capacitance.

2. Noise and handling rejection. Good shielding yields better RF rejection. Again, no correlation with thickness.

3. Durable cable. All cables can crush if roll that rack case over it. So here the jacket is the best determinant of durable, but that doesn't have any bearing on sound quality. Though a thick, tough cable can have high cpf and sound muffled over a longer run, or also be a pain to coil.

4. Good ends that are soldered well. Again, no correlation to the cable's diameter, but you pay for better ends, period! I personally prefer Neutrik, but lots out there like Switchcraft, Amphenol, et.al. that are road-worthy and proven themselves.

Edward
Old 05-07-2024, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

I'm late to the thread so this has likely been covered: coil your own cables, carefully and as has been covered above. Beware the elbow wrappers volunteering to help you pack up. They are not your friends. And as an aside, as the other half of the duo, ditto to what Rokdog has said above.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification