The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-22-2022, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guitar View Post
Make sure the strings are good. I've found that dead strings will really affect the sound of my Smeck, possibly more than other guitars I have. Enjoy!
I’ve found the exact opposite. I hate dead strings on almost any guitar. I change non coated about every 3 weeks. On my DF I don’t even notice that it had been on for a few months which is a really long time for me.

Last edited by UncleJesse; 04-23-2022 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-22-2022, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by static111 View Post
I played an AB and a 12 fret Smeck. Both instruments were beautiful works of art and amazing to hold, seriously comfortable guitars. I found the 1 11/16" neck of the AB to be too cramped for my liking, the 1 3/4" of the Smeck was much more comfortable. While both of these guitars were great to look at and comfortable in the hands, I wasn't really taken by the sound. The E string bass notes on both were tight and too trebly for me the bass register was really lacking imo. I like a good deep bass and neither of the examples I played had it, in fact I found the sound of both a little too high in the treble department to my ears. Glad I got a chance to play them and didn't make any blind purchases. These are seriously well made guitars that look like fine pieces of furniture in person. I'm sure these are right up someone else's tonal alley. Well the search continues...
Interesting. The low E of my DF is as big and cavernous as they come. Not super deep like a Martin D, but more open certainly. I did find mind sounds better with mediums which is what I expected.
Old 04-22-2022, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak2525 View Post
I tried Elixir Nano Phosphor Bronze strings (John's "jdinaz" suggestion) - not expecting them to sound good on the deep body DF. I was surprised that they sound better to my ears than the SCruz med tensions that came on it.
I wasn't expecting much either ! Good to know I'm not completely nuts. Glad you like them.
Static111's post about the guitars being too "trebly" shocks me, the fact that my Smeck is NOT trebly is one of the biggest attractions for me. I'm overly sensitive to bright guitars. Sorry it didn't sound better for you Static ! Best to know now I guess.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I’ve found the exact opposite. I hate dead strings on almost any guitar. I change non coated about every 3 weeks. On my DF I don’t even notice them running them a few months which is a really long time for me.
A sign of a good guitar, right there ^^^
Old 04-22-2022, 08:22 PM
Guest 2223

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
I wasn't expecting much either ! Good to know I'm not completely nuts. Glad you like them.
Static111's post about the guitars being too "trebly" shocks me, the fact that my Smeck is NOT trebly is one of the biggest attractions for me. I'm overly sensitive to bright guitars. Sorry it didn't sound better for you Static ! Best to know now I guess.
I was surprised by how I perceived the tone as well, I was ready to buy a guitar today too! Seems like my experience is not typical and like I said they are beautiful and comfortable and I really like the open pore finish. Oh well, I'm sure I will keep trying out IRIS as they come up.
Old 04-22-2022, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Interesting. The low E of my DF is as big and cavernous as they come. Not super deep like a Martin D, but more open certainly. I did find mind sounds better with mediums which is what I expected.
“Cavernous” is how I would describe the low E on my DF as well. And mine is strung with D’Addario Nickel Bronze lights.
Old 04-23-2022, 04:19 AM

Quote:
I’ve found the exact opposite. I hate dead strings on almost any guitar. I change non coated about every 3 weeks. On my DF I don’t even notice them running them a few months which is a really long time for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
A sign of a good guitar, right there ^^^
And I’ve noticed that too. This may be one of the first times on AGF that I have ever seen a mention of this phenomena. And having played a fair number of Dale’s instruments (even though the DF is not pure Dale) I would say that they all sound good throughout, and beyond, a string’s lifetime.

All I can figure is that the resonance of these guitars concentrates on the fundamental notes of the strings and the guitar’s overall sound is more dependent on its internally generated overtones\harmonics than it is on the overtones that the strings produce(if that makes any sense). As I have experimented with strings on my Fairbanks, so far, it sounds good with most any string - heavier being a little better. I suspect we’d need Trevor Gore (who wrote the book on guitar vibration) to figure this one out.

Simply, they are very responsive guitars - there’s a lot of vibrating going on in there.

Rick
Old 04-26-2022, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Installed a set of Santa Cruz Low Tension strings on my Smeck last night. I really like them so fare. Quite a bit different than my usual D'addario XS strings. Overall they sound much more musical and really let the guitar's wood and design shape the tone. The highs are a little muted compared to the D'addario strings; I'll have to see how that changes over time. The lows are also a little more controlled than the D'addarios. Very clear strings.
Old 03-25-2023, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

I bought an Iris 12 fret slot head OG. I received it a day ago. I've owned some of the best guitars the world offers, and the construction of Iris guitars is every bit as good. It is not meant to be the shiny thick finish bells and whistles type of guitar. It's a mat thin finish players guitar. It is about responsive dry tone. Responsiveness to me is huge. The sound jumps out of the guitar easily. It is a guitar that is easy to play. No waiting and hoping it'll open up and be what you hope a guitar to be, it's there right out of the box. The sound and tone is a well-balanced Sitka / hog guitar. More depth and more robust than a 00 or 000 guitar. Anyone backing away from a dread for health reasons will love it. Lots of midrange and midrange growl. Nice clear open bass with a high end that has tone and is NOT thin. Yes, I am taken with it. A 12 fret slot head DF Smeck is next as soon as I sell my Martin.

Creativity comes more easily with a good dose of fool
Old 03-26-2023, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Congrats Mr. Jelly, that sounds like a very nice OG !
Old 03-26-2023, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

I've got a maple/adi ND-200 coming some months down the road. Adam has built a couple of guitars for me from his Circle Strings line so I'm familiar with the quality of the work coming from his shop and I'm very confident that he's going to put a great guitar in my hands.

By the way, in case this is important or useful information to anyone, Adam's dad passed away this past week.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 05-16-2024, 07:46 AM

Default Iris DF

I bought an Iris DF from someone on the forum and it was definitely taking a chance since I'd never played an Iris before. Though it has a chunkier neck than any of my other guitars, the adi top gives a sparkle that I appreciate. Each time I play it, I feel like, whoa, what a great sounding guitar. I love the sunburst and overall aesthetic - retro, solid construction and something unusual - a je ne sais quoi. Though it's big, it's fairly light so I can gig with mine easily and enjoy it.
2019 Emerald X20ele
2020 Martin D-15M
2002 Taylor 714
2021 Iris DF
2005 Breedlove Revival OM M

https://www.youtube.com/@revelrove
Old 05-16-2024, 05:47 PM

I called Iris for info and Adam answered…before I knew it, he shipped the first parlor (BB) which has a European Spruce top and sounds MUCH bigger than its size. Just wished it had wider string spacing! Then they shipped a custom MS-00 all Guild old-stock mahogany, 12-fret slothead. As beautiful as it is, it sounds even better. Agree with a previous comment that Iris has a way of making new guitars that sound 50-years old. Currently, I have a DF Smeck in order, can’t wait, it got a few upgrades😀. Being a relatively new player, I’ve put my trust in Iris and they’ve exceeded ALL my expectations.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:41 PM

I bought my JB without playing first. I had, though, played an OG, AB, and DF previously. So I at least had an idea about what I was getting.

Not regretting anything about it. I just don't understand the lack of publicity from Iris about this model. I've considered posing this question to Adam. I should do that.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:40 PM

I’m really happy with my 12 fret AB torrified addy and rosewood.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion