The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-13-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMeUp View Post
Thank you for your input. I think I will explore using LS with Michael Bashkin when I am ready to start my next build. It will be awhile though.
Oooh! I look forward to that. Michael will definitely have more competent things to say about it than I do. This is in fact the first Redwood topped guitar I have ever played!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-13-2015, 11:20 AM

I had the pleasure of playing that guitar in Memphis as well as meeting it's maker. Joel is a superb human and I see much success for him in the future. Which, is good for me because that means I get to run into him at guitar shows!
Old 06-13-2015, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Hi Marcus,

Congratulations! I too played the guitar and got to spend a little time with Joel. I told him that your guitar was one of the highlights of the festival for me, and I wasn't even trying to blow smoke up his %#@!

He did ask me to tell you beforehand that the thing is a dud, but I didn't have the gumption.

I am sure you are a happy man. Enjoy it.

Dan
Old 06-13-2015, 01:13 PM

Marcus,

I thought from a previous thread about cases that you had finally decided to go for a Hoffee case. What made you chose Karura instead?

BTW, I played your guitar in Memphis, one of the best at the show.
Latulippe OM #17(Sinker Cedar/Indian Rosewood)
Latulippe Foxtrot #29 (electric)
Lavoie Modern Archtop #142 (White Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Benoît Raby Étude classical (2013, Spruce, Indian Rosewood)
Old 06-13-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Hi guys, sincerest apologies for the lack of an update. I have been extremely preoccupied with the Lucky Tree the whole day and am itching to get back to it! The things I do for you people

Let's talk about the aesthetics first of all. If you think that it looks good in pictures... You should ask the people who had the opportunity to view it in person... can I say WOW????? I expected the finish to show wear or micro-scratches from the festival but it came looking beyond pristine... The Lucky Strike grain is so incredibly tight and the silking is very present. What surprised me most was the fretboard inlays, they have a very pleasant colour and visual texture to them. The headstock really stands out and the tuners look ever so classy! The bevel, the scoop, the fan fret, fret wire, glow in the dark fret markers....EVERYTHING.

Only thing that I'm "not" happy about is that the Tree colour was darker than I had hoped. I was expecting a golden Koa look but I do not know why I was expecting that! Hahaha still unbelievably unreal nonetheless. I still can't believe I have been playing this for the past 15 hours... It definitely looks like it belongs in a museum and not here. I am beyond privileged to have such a beautiful guitar, shout out to Joel for his outstanding design sense.

Photos will come eventually, please be patient! Meanwhile, more of the case Anyone wanting to steal my guitar will have to get through him first! He might be fake, but he can still trip you!

OK, I have to admit, which I have done to Marcus privately, that I completely fell for the photoshop crack and was feeling guilty because I was devilishly urging him to open it up before waiting the 24 hour acclimation period. I literally went to bed last night feeling so bad for him that I could not sleep. I knew Joel would fix it, but how long was that going to take with shipping across the world, replacing the top, finishing, OMG, I could not believe it. I think the prank on Joel got me even worse!!!!

NOW, is that a scar in the left inguinal area of the dog statue or is that PHOTO SHOPPED TOO? If it is real, who puts a scar on a statue? Come on now!!!

Old 06-13-2015, 01:35 PM

I was so wondering about that crack
That can't be real, thank goodness it wasn't. I can't be the only one who thought that.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxwood_Handmade View Post
I had the pleasure of playing that guitar in Memphis as well as meeting it's maker. Joel is a superb human and I see much success for him in the future. Which, is good for me because that means I get to run into him at guitar shows!
I hope so too Brad!! I am hoping to be able to meet Joel one day. I've had such an amazing build experience with him and I've heard so many good things about him in person too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
OK, I have to admit, which I have done to Marcus privately, that I completely fell for the photoshop crack and was feeling guilty because I was devilishly urging him to open it up before waiting the 24 hour acclimation period. I literally went to bed last night feeling so bad for him that I could not sleep. I knew Joel would fix it, but how long was that going to take with shipping across the world, replacing the top, finishing, OMG, I could not believe it. I think the prank on Joel got me even worse!!!!

NOW, is that a scar in the left inguinal area of the dog statue or is that PHOTO SHOPPED TOO? If it is real, who puts a scar on a statue? Come on now!!!

So sorry again Tom!! D: didn't mean to cause you to worry so!!

Haha! Ummmm it's lizard poop I think I need to Photoshop that out hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz49 View Post
I was so wondering about that crack
That can't be real, thank goodness it wasn't. I can't be the only one who thought that.
Haha I am enjoying my guitar tremendously, no need to worry about a thing

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-13-2015, 09:18 PM

Ohhhhhhhhh, its lizard poop, I should have known that! I feel so stupid hahaha. what the heck is going on over there in Indonesia?
Old 06-13-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Hi Marcus,

Congratulations! I too played the guitar and got to spend a little time with Joel. I told him that your guitar was one of the highlights of the festival for me, and I wasn't even trying to blow smoke up his %#@!

He did ask me to tell you beforehand that the thing is a dud, but I didn't have the gumption.

I am sure you are a happy man. Enjoy it.

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
Marcus,

I thought from a previous thread about cases that you had finally decided to go for a Hoffee case. What made you chose Karura instead?

BTW, I played your guitar in Memphis, one of the best at the show.
@nootis Thanks Dan! Don't you worry, Joel has told me several times already

@pattse I do not drive a car in Singapore so I will be lugging my case around a lot and weight is an issue for me. The Karura is lighter than the Hoffee and an unimportant factor is that the Karura is built stronger than a Hoffee, unimportant since both can already withstand a tank.

Actually, when I hear that a lot of you were blown away by Joel's instruments at Memphis, I am extremely surprised... More on this later... :P

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-13-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Ohhhhhhhhh, its lizard poop, I should have known that! I feel so stupid hahaha. what the heck is going on over there in Indonesia?
Hahaha! Indonesia? It's Singapore here the last time I checked :P

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-13-2015, 10:16 PM

Default Review Part 2 - Playability/Features

I have always struggled finding a perfect fit for me. I would go out and try guitars and would fail to find one that was absolutely perfect. Be it body size, scale length, nut/saddle width, action etc. However, after I played my Lucky Tree, I am proud to say that I have been searching in the wrong place. If there was a guitar that was built to fit in my lap...this is it!

The nut/saddle widths are 1 3/4" and 2 3/16" with a Taylor like neck. Scale lengths are 25.00" - 25.75". Bevel Armrest. Scoop Cutaway. Manzer Wedge. Absolutely PERFECT!

Bevel: I have no idea how I survived without one before! Now when I switch to other guitars, I feel the bite in my arm. Definitely a feature I will get again, it really allows for long hours of comfort especially since I held the guitar for over 12 hours just yesterday!

Scoop Cutaway: Definitely not for those who want to solo past the 15th fret comfortably. However, I do not fall into that category and the extra reach it provides is wonderful, not to mention its unique and wonderful look. I can reach to the 20th fret without much effort but doing intricate solos up there with a scoop instead of a regular Cutaway might prove inconvenient. I love it.

Manzer Wedge: Mine has a very subtle wedge and to be honest I can't really feel it. But I believe it adds to the comfort and would feel the difference when it is gone. As it is subtle, I haven't experienced the tilted fretboard and wrist twisting. Even though I mentioned that I can't really feel the difference, I believe a few hundred more for a lifetime of additional slight comfort is well worth the money

Fanned Fret: Absolutely love the fan. Definitely transparent and you wouldn't even know you're playing one! The longer bass is definitely appreciated especially since I drop it a lot. Even an F chord on a fan fret is no issue whatsoever. Many chords and fingerings are easier with this feature. Only thing I have to get used to is the harmonics as those require more precise positions. The guitar feels like a scale length between both differences or even closer to the shorter scale. Take note that this might not apply to the more extreme fans.

Action was perfectly set up. Simply a joy to play. As I play a lot harmonics, fretboard markers would be appreciated but I could slowly adjust. The side markers are incredibly sexy! They even glow in the dark. Photos to follow

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-13-2015, 11:30 PM

Congrats Marcus! That is an exquisite guitar! You got a great sense of humor as well. Enjoy that "Lucky Tree" for years to come.

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 06-13-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Scale lengths are 25.00" - 25.75".

Fanned Fret: Absolutely love the fan. Definitely transparent and you wouldn't even know you're playing one! The longer bass is definitely appreciated especially since I drop it a lot. Even an F chord on a fan fret is no issue whatsoever. Many chords and fingerings are easier with this feature. Only thing I have to get used to is the harmonics as those require more precise positions. The guitar feels like a scale length between both differences or even closer to the shorter scale. Take note that this might not apply to the more extreme fans.
I'd love to hear more about this! Do you think the 25.75 is long enough for tuning down to C-based tunings? Does it add a lot of oomph to D-based tunings? I've been pretty interested in this combo because Michael Bashkin seems to use it with success.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picassov7 View Post
Congrats Marcus! That is an exquisite guitar! You got a great sense of humor as well. Enjoy that "Lucky Tree" for years to come.
thanks Brandon! It is already starting to be a keeper. I'm itching to share about the sound but I need more time with it first.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-14-2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
I'd love to hear more about this! Do you think the 25.75 is long enough for tuning down to C-based tunings? Does it add a lot of oomph to D-based tunings? I've been pretty interested in this combo because Michael Bashkin seems to use it with success.
Well, this is highly subjective so I'm just gonna ignore what others have said and let you know what I think. The length is not tight in E and even F, quite pleasant really, no significant difference observed. Definitely works well in D, C and even B! It retains its sound/tonal quality which obviously deteriorates as it goes lower. But definitely quality enough for me because I prioritise playability. I don't have the biggest hands so I think I wouldn't exceed 26.0" at the very most for a normal guitar. But my suggestion would be to go with as long as you're comfortable with, there doesn't seem to be much tightness involved.

However, as Bruce has advocated multiple times, the larger the scale difference, the closer you pick towards the saddle on the treble side and even with this mild difference, I can see this phenomenon at work, especially with palm muted fingerpicking. So if you do want a longer bass, I would recommend increasing the treble as side as well.

And the increased bass length definitely imparts a greater bass presence which is very pleasing and not overpowering. I have a Michaud OO-R with a 25.0" bass side length for comparison to rule out differences due to different builders and the 25.75" definitely has greater dropped tuning potential. If I had bigger hands, I would love to go with something like 25.25-26.0 or 25.5-26.25! Especially since I drop trebles too. I hope this helps! Anymore questions please feel free to ask. I went through this process as well and would love any advice I could get. Just don't hold me responsible if it isn't what you like!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
joel michaud, lucky strike, micahud made, ngd, the tree