The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
Not a dent but...

The very first instrument I ever splurged on was a really nice electric guitar in my early twenties. I was playing a house party with some other guys a week later, and ended up talking to really hot girl during a set break (this guitar thing really does work!)

I didn't realize at the time she had a cigarette in her hand by her side until I smelled something odd burning. Brand new Ibanez S540FMTT with a nice burn discoloration right on the top. Oh well.
Doesn't that make her a smoking hot girl??

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Old 05-28-2014, 04:34 PM

Big Brown Truck arrives.
SO Happy.
Open box.
Case is in a big clear plastic bag.
Remove bag.
Open up case.
Enjoy odor.
Lift brand new D-16GT out with one hand.
Forget about ceiling fan.

All I could do was laugh. It was so typical of me. Took a quarter inch chunk off the headstock. Hadn't played one note in it's life.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:42 PM

Default guitar dents

My 814C got walked into a microphone stand.........sad
My HD-28 got walked into a microphone stand.......sad
the same mic stand at church.
HD-28 also got sat against a piano and it slipped over hitting
the piano leg. Big dent in back of neck...............sad
Old 05-28-2014, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

My first traumatic ding was when I got my Olson. I'd had it a few weeks and was babying it, of course, but I had it out on a stand when my son came in the music room with his strat strapped on, asking if he could use my tuner to tune it up. We had just plugged in his cord to the tuner, when out of nowhere my cat came racing into the room, grabbed the cord with her teeth and ranked the plug out of his strat. I watch in slow motion as the plug flew across the room and landed smack on the face of my shiny new Olson, leaving a permanent scar.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Took my RK dread camping, against my own best advice...had a beater camping guitar, but wanted to play the RK. Sitting in my foldout camp chair, next to the big, heavy USFS picnic tables and my son asks to play the guitar (he brought his beater). I said "No, you'll probably bang it into something!" Then went to get out of the chair and smashed it into that heavy picnic bench...put a 2 inch gash in the lower side...cracked the nitro finish into the wood...maybe cracked the wood (haven't had anyone look at it yet, but it seems stable regardless). My son laughed, then said "Well, at least you put the first big ding in it!"

I then handed it over to him to play...

A few days later I put some of that furniture repair magic marker on the gash and can hardly notice it unless I look for it...it is now 'officially' my camping beater
Old 05-28-2014, 05:12 PM

I have 3 little stories to tell because they are truly unbeliveable..

First story (the worst):
My first guitar was a cheap Ibanez 12 strings, and I loved it.
Few days after I bought it I was in a bar with a few friends singing and playing fun songs.
At one point I started a really silly song and the guy sitting in front of me at the other side of the table said "don't you play that stupid song, now".. I ignored him and carried on. Then he dished out a pocket knife, opened it and said "I'll throw the knife at you if you don't stop". We all laughed aloud and I kept singing. Sure enough.. he throwed the bloody knife at me. It hit just above the soundhole, more or less where my heart would be.
We all stood in shocked silence! I put the guitar on the table and walked out of the bar in shock.

Second story:
Few years later... I was the proud owner (still am) of a nice Guild G37Blond and I had a couple of friends guitarists around at my place to see and play the new guitar.
After a while playing it in turns I left the room for a few minutes while they where rolling a joint.
When I came back the guitar was back in the case and all was cool, until...
I opened the case to play a little more and with my amazement there were a few tiny black marks on the top.
What happened? One on the two guys rolled the joint while the guitar was flat on his lap and some burned stuff dropped on the top, burning it!!!

Third story (same guitar):
Was at my girlfriend's home. I'd just finished playing the Guild and I gently put it flat on the bed (soundhole facing up, thank's god) to go for dinner.
When dinner was over I went back to the bedroom to get the guitar and...
under the guitar there was an envelope... my girlfriend had just written a letter to a friend and, to be on the safe side of things, decided to close the envelope with superglue.
So now the envelope was glued to my guitar. Just a tiny corner of it. It was easy to take it off but the superglue had eaten up the varnish leaving a mark the size of a small stamp!!!
Ibanez Ragtime 460
Daion L999
Kinkade 12Strings Custom
L. Maggi 12Strings Custom
P. Bernabe E8
H. Godvinez
Fender Dobro
HB Resonator
Baton Rouge Tricone
Ovation Celebrity
Cort L900 Parlour
Epiphone Emperor
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Fender Tele
Old 05-28-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
"Oh well, now I don't have to worry about that first ding any more."
Awesome response and fantastic attitude.

It's all about expectations. If you expect your shiny (or satin)new guitar to always look perfect and never get the slightest ding, you are likely to be disappointed at some stage, possibly severely disappointed.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:46 PM

i think for the truly enlightened, "the guitar was already dented". or scratched, or whatever.

also, i call those "fender benders".
Old 05-28-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
Quote:
"Oh well, now I don't have to worry about that first ding any more."
Awesome response and fantastic attitude.

It's all about expectations. If you expect your shiny (or satin)new guitar to always look perfect and never get the slightest ding, you are likely to be disappointed at some stage, possibly severely disappointed.
Of course it's inevitable but we can try to keep it pristine.
Original Martin Backpacker
Little Martin
Lotus Dread (1st guitar)
Old 05-28-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock64 View Post
Of course it's inevitable but we can try to keep it pristine.
Or not... Personally, while I will not intentionally damage it and certainly would not artificially "distress" it, I'll MUCH prefer it when my newish Custom Shop HD-28V looks more like my '67 & '71 D-28s....

versus...

... No contest.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picking Moose View Post
(…) What happened? One on the two guys rolled the joint while the guitar was flat on his lap and some burned stuff dropped on the top, burning it!!!
Ahem… I had a Takamine that has the same (cough) … scars.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 05-28-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
OK, showing my age - what the heck is a "child lock" on a refridgerater? I have never heard of such a thing.
It's one of many child locks in my home.It's basically two zip locks connected to a central yoke. It requires two hands to open. I have them all over the house to keep my kids from rummaging for things to put in their mouths. Some would say due diligence is enough and that they should know better with better parenting but my children have "special needs."

FWIW I also keep my guitars locked up for most of the time and is probably the biggest reason why I don't own a guitar valued over $1000.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbat View Post
Ahem… I had a Takamine that has the same (cough) … scars.
This is an amazing coincidence.
My (not so much now) friends have been round your house too!!!!

Perhaps I should have broken some of their fingers instead of just shouting at them
Ibanez Ragtime 460
Daion L999
Kinkade 12Strings Custom
L. Maggi 12Strings Custom
P. Bernabe E8
H. Godvinez
Fender Dobro
HB Resonator
Baton Rouge Tricone
Ovation Celebrity
Cort L900 Parlour
Epiphone Emperor
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Fender Tele
Old 05-28-2014, 07:56 PM

Oh man my old Gibson J160e. Had it on a stand in my room. Came into the room in the dark one night to grab something real quick. Didn't turn on the light. Knocked a metal sheet music stand over by not seeing it and it fell against the top. Big ole mark. SOOO stupid.

Other one was 3 drunk friend coming thru our barracks room back in my USAF days. Had a big acoustic bass leaning against the wall. First one knocked it over, the other two stepped on it. Broke the neck completely off. It turned out to be repairable but still...

Oh, I'll share a tale one of my teachers told me: He was playing a gig one night and at some point put his guitar back in the case without latching it. A kind patron offered to help him pack up at the end of the night and grabbed the case. As you can imagine, the case opened, the guitar rolled out and the headstock snapped off. Ouch. Never forgot that story.

Last edited by moondoggie999; 05-28-2014 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Story
Old 05-28-2014, 08:07 PM

Almost every guitar I have has had an altercation with a moving ceiling fan. I'm just not the kind of guy that looks up, I'm a floor watcher.

Also dragged a brand new Seagull Coastline Grand parlor across an upward case latch. That hurt. I always make sure all latches are down now.

Once whacked the back of my then, and again now, favorite guitar on a stereo rack corner. It left a sharp triangular dent. As soon as I quit cursing, I turned around and whacked the front side of the guitar on the other corner of the stand, leaving an identical dent on that side.

Not quite a dent, but when I was in high school I was asleep and my mom sent a friend up to my room. He picked up my very first and then only guitar and whacked me hard on the butt. Cracked two braces, he denied that that could have caused it, and had been that way before. Some friend.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
damage, guitar, repair