The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2024, 06:22 PM

Well, I just bought an SJ-200 standard. I wasn't in the market for another guitar, but played one in a shop and was immediately smitten. I'm a rhythm player/strummer, and this guitar seems like it's going to get a lot of playing time in the rotation with my other mighty nice guitars.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:10 PM

Gibson J-200 polarized views?

Of course. No two guitars ever sound the same despite their pedigree.

My J-200 has rosewood back and sides to go with a spruce top. It did not come with the giant "tumbleweeds" pickguard, but a more normal size one. It was a limited edition in 1985 which was also a bit expensive even at that time, but has proven its worth. And is a big part of my leaving Les Paul's behind for an acoustic future.

I fingerpick all my guitars using my nails as picks.

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 05-15-2024 at 06:30 AM. Reason: proof reading
Old 05-14-2024, 07:40 PM

For a singer songwriter, check out the J45, the J200, and the Dove (not the hummingbird). From martin the D18, the D28, the Guild F55 and the Guild D50

Jumbos are great and I love them, but they need a heavy strum to get that top moving. If you are trying to do delicate fingerwork or light picking, it will sound a little anemic.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 05-14-2024, 08:05 PM

The range of “love mine” to “don’t like ‘em” comments is not unlike the range of sound quality that I’ve found in them. Get a good one and you’re a lucky person because they can be uniquely special but be sure you’ve played a potential purchase beside some standard that you know is good before you commit.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Gary Davis will show you that an SJ-200 isn't just for strumming: Gary Davis

Not to say it doesn't rule the strummer's waterfront: Emmy Lou

Highly versatile. The maple makes it good for picking, the size makes it good for strumming. If I could choose between all the guitars you named, it'd be the SJ-200 hands down.

Opinions are always interesting, but no one else has your ears. There's no substitute for a test drive or two. I'd get out there a play a few.
Wasn't it a J200 that Blind Blake played? Now, there's someone who was way ahead of this time.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Gary Davis will show you that an SJ-200 isn't just for strumming: Gary Davis

Not to say it doesn't rule the strummer's waterfront: Emmy Lou

Highly versatile. The maple makes it good for picking, the size makes it good for strumming. If I could choose between all the guitars you named, it'd be the SJ-200 hands down.

Opinions are always interesting, but no one else has your ears. There's no substitute for a test drive or two. I'd get out there a play a few.
I've played numerous J200s over the years, and every one has been magnificent. I've read on this forum that they're variable, but I haven't experienced that.

Charlie is right though: go play some. It's the best way.
Softride Rocket
Trek Y-Foil
Old 05-15-2024, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

I have owned a 1947 and a 1952 J200. Those were great guitars but I have not played a modern example that tempted me enough to bring out my wallet. As many folks have said you need to get out and play some to find what speaks to you.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:36 AM

Gibson J-200 polarized views?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
I have owned a 1947 and a 1952 J200. Those were great guitars but I have not played a modern example that tempted me enough to bring out my wallet. As many folks have said you need to get out and play some to find what speaks to you.
I am of the opinion that a great guitar doesn't just speak to you.

It sings siren songs to you.

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 05-15-2024, 08:03 AM

You can read internet opinions until you pass out, but if you really want to know what a J-200 is just order one. That's how you'll know.

I could not afford a J-200 yet but I did that with a J-100, and it's an excellent guitar.

The Gibson SJ form factor is much more versatile than you might think.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

I think part of the allure of the SJ-200 is that its imperfect. A giant hulking guitar with unique appointments...and it winds up commanding the room more with its looks than its sonic presence. That's not to say that they don't sound good....as others have said, they can vary from one to the next. I find they can get really "stuffed full of socks" sounding more than other mass-produced models of high regard. I've owned an SJ-200 Western Classic that I bought off this forum, and it was certainly awesome in many ways - it was one of the few guitars that entered the house that my wife exclaimed how cool it looked.

I ultimately didn't jive with it, as it was a little lacking in something (it is a rosewood back/side model and that may explain it, since I think the classic expectation of an SJ sound comes from the maple guitars of the 50s and 60s).

I have played some 1957s that seem to be about on par with the Murphy Lab ones. Its a similar vibe, quite a bit cheaper in many instances. I think they're the best modern ones of the bunch but they're around $5k new.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInBethesda View Post
Hi all, I have been looking for a good strummer and singer songwriter guitars. I have been considering a Hummingbird which I've played and am reasonably familiar with, but most of them have ultimately underwhelmed me. I've recently started focusing on the SJ-200 (either Original or Historic Custom) as they seem to be highly regarded by many as good for rythmic playing and singer songwriter duty. Having said that, folks seem to either really love them (e.g. everyone should have a J200) or feel that they are underwhelming, not dynamic, etc.. So I wanted to get diverse opinions from the AGFers who have played or owned one. How would you compare to the Hummingbird and/or the J-185, which I recognize is a little smaller and short scale? Thanks!
Man, you do not have to spend 5k to get a good strumming guitar. A gibson Songbird OR a Songwriter is a great strumming guitar that is so much less expensive than a j-200. I also think a J-45 is theu ltimate Gibson strummer. People who want a J-200, IME, are just wowed by the looks, etc., and just really want one. IMO, there are much better Gibson strummers, such as the 3 I mentioned.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 05-15-2024, 04:00 PM

I read that Pete Townshend tried out a small lot of J200's at Manny's in New York before buying the (best sounding) one that served in TOMMY and many records afterwards.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldstar View Post
Man, you do not have to spend 5k to get a good strumming guitar. A gibson Songbird OR a Songwriter is a great strumming guitar that is so much less expensive than a j-200. I also think a J-45 is theu ltimate Gibson strummer. People who want a J-200, IME, are just wowed by the looks, etc., and just really want one. IMO, there are much better Gibson strummers, such as the 3 I mentioned.
I have a J-45 Vintage and it is, indeed, a great strummer. It doesn't sound at all like a J-200. The J-200 is a beauty, but that's not why I bought one.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldstar View Post
I have to disagree here. I’m not “wowed” by anything other than the way my J200 sounds and plays. After playing for 35+ years and owning well over 100 guitars, many high end, I got over the phase of buying just because something looks cool. The fact that a J200 looks cool is simply a very pleasant bonus. I also don’t think there is a better strumming Gibson. I’ve owned a lot of Gibsons, and none compared to the J200. I can have any of them. I wouldn’t choose the J200 if I didn’t think it was better.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

I had an sj200 and it was one of the best Gibsons in my stable. Sadly, I had to sell it for financial reasons. But, it was an awesome strummer and finger picker. It could be soft or loud. Don’t listen to the Gibson Bashes. Take it from someone who has firsthand knowledge. You won’t be disappointed by purchasing a SJ200.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion